Am I being to unreasonable or just a jerk

vbimport

I used to hate it when I would go into a store like walmart and they would had me back my card for me to swipe. I always thought it was stupid for them to stand there while I did the work.

Now most stores have started asking is the total correct when I checkout.
I always tell the clerk that I hate that question since I have no way of know inf the total was correct without bringing in a calculator and adding it all up myself. I feel like they are asking me to lie since I have to push yes or they will have to start all over.

Or maybe I am not unreasonable or a jerk just getting to old for today’s world where lying and asking someone else to do your work in the normal.

i have always thought that adults should be able to do basic math in their heads to a degree. when you are purchasing less than 10 items it isnt hard to add them all up. when its a grocery trip then that is harder. still you can keep a rough tabulation going and compare the cashiers total to what you would estimate it.

Frankly there are a lot of people who dont pay attention to what they are buying. i used to see parents grab or let their kids grab anything from thr hospital cafeteria without looking at the prices. then the parents would go ballistic when their meal turned out to be $25-40

I ended up disputing the total of two flash drives and a coke that i bought from Staples last week. the cashier read back the total, whic was about 5 bucks more than expected. when i questioned the cashier she said that one drive was more than the other. i told her both were the same sale price. she then told me that one of the drives that i hadpicked out of the sale bin was in fact not on sale and was regular price. so i ended up shelling out for the non sale drive since it was a gift for the gf.

I imagine a lot of stores require their clerks/cashiers to announce/check the total before asking for payment so as to limit the number of times that they have to resolve a bill problem. I know I once got charged $200 for a $20(including tip) meal at a Mexican restaurant during grad school. I didn’t discover this until the next day because I was in a hurry to get home. I then had to drive back to the restaurant the next day after finding out I had no money in my account to get from the ATM, dispute the bill, and then wait another 4 days to get my $200 back.

Just refuse to answer yes or no or push a button for the same. Tell them to get a manager to over ride this.
If that doesn’t work immediately I bet by the time you push No for the 5th or 6th time they find a way.
Unfortunately it will be up to us customers to put a stop to this.
So far I haven’t been asked but I almost always use cash.
I’m like yojimbo197 in that I try to keep a rough tally in my head but sometimes I’m busy & have other things to think about.
How about this:
Ask "Where’s the button for if the cashier entered or the scanner entered all items correctly. And the cashregister computer added all the items correctly. Then the amount is correct."
IMO there is no excuse for this.
What I don’y like is when Walmart can’t correct an error at the cash register .
The cashier has already closed the drawer & can’t correct even one item.
Then I have to wait in line & explain the mistake to a “Customer Service” cashier.

I have thought of just pushing the no button and let them run it again.
They do this at home depot. Lowes, Autozone and I think wal-mart now. Also most all stores are starting asking you on the machine if the total is correct.
There is just some part of me that hates saying yes to a question that I do not know the correct answer to.

Home depot and staples has started asking if you want them to email a copy of the receipt to you. When I first saw this it was home depot and they already had my email address. I though no way. After thinking about it I said not a bad thing I am always loosing the receipt so why not.
We now know the government is looking at all our emails so I might wish I had not said ok.

IMO, if a person doesn’t trust the store to add up the total amount due then they should carry a calculator, add up their purchases and apply the proper tax rates and know what the amount should be BEFORE they go to check out. If a person wants the store to do the adding for them then don’t complain about them asking the question. I see the question being a reminder for the buyer to think about the total purchase price. I use the question to do a quick mental check of if the total presented passes the “smell test.” If it seems right then I usually don’t question the amount. Some people check the receipt when they get home and if a mistake was made they go back to the store to correct it. An alternative would be to check the receipt before leaving the store.

No why ask the question in the first place we have went years without it and now they expect me to answer a question that i am not about to figure out the answer to with a yes or no. There had to be a reason all stores started asking this question now and I am will it is for some legal reason. Just don’t ask me total it and give me my receipt. I tried to google this to see why that ask and got nothing one of the few time google let me down. I know has emailed CEO for walmart to see it he can tell me why

[QUOTE=samlar;2695340]Now most stores have started asking is the total correct when I checkout.
I always tell the clerk that I hate that question since I have no way of know inf the total was correct without bringing in a calculator and adding it all up myself. I feel like they are asking me to lie since I have to push yes or they will have to start all over.[/QUOTE]

No, you’re not being unreasonable. But it is however unreasonable for the store to expect you to check their work there and then.

This sounds to me like a technique to pressurise customers into accepting liability for the store’s mistakes and thereby avoid having to pay out when the store was actually in error.

If that happened to me I’d be inclined to vote with my wallet and go to another store.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It’s a good thing in a way because we have been charged more money than what a product is suppose to be.Like maybe a sale item is suppose to be on sale and they charge full price.That’s all well and good if the cashier isn’t fast and there isn’t a line behind you and you just want to get out of there.My wife is better good at figuring the bill ahead of time and know about what the bill should be.Now me I can’t figure anything ahead ,I need pad of paper and pin.

I notice when a mistake is made it is almost always in the stores favor.
I could count on one hand the amount of mistakes that a store has erred in my favor.
I agree with samlar .This is an attempt to shift liability to the customer.
In court if it gets that far . The stores lawyer asks " You did pust the “Yes” button that the total was correct . Didn’t you" ?

Or how about : Sure I’ll push the Yes button when you add all the merchandise up with me on paper & not use the cash register. I’m fairly sure the casheir only knows the amount the cash register shows . They couldn’t answer Yes either & be sure .
The plain truth is most of us aren’t that good at math to have the total correct in our head when we get to the register.
Neither do we carry a calculater . And even if we did we might not spend the time to use it.
I do try to keep a rough talley. If the amount seems close then I will accept it.
If I add the receipt later & it’s off by a few cents I’m not going to try to correct it.
It takes a least a dollar & I will only correct that the next time I’m in the store.
Maybe not then.
It comes down to how much of my time is this refund worth?
So far this has not been a problem for me.If it ever becomes one I will do more.

From another angle, maybe the stores are resorting to this in an effort to thwart people trying to scam them for items and/or refunds. As I said, if the question is troubling then add up your purchases and know what the total should be. There is always the option of frequenting another store without the same policy.

Just don’t try to add up you tally at the register and hold up a line I am waiting in. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=UTR;2695492]From another angle, maybe the stores are resorting to this in an effort to thwart people trying to scam them for items and/or refunds. As I said, if the question is troubling then add up your purchases and know what the total should be. There is always the option of frequenting another store without the same policy.

Just don’t try to add up you tally at the register and hold up a line I am waiting in. :)[/QUOTE]

Why not it might be fun until someone gets to mad and tries to hurt me.