Alternative to Verbatim M-Discs?

I was just wondering if there was an alternative to Verbatim M-Discs. Are there any other archival quality Blu-ray blanks that are just as good as Verbatim’s?

I think someone once put an M-Disc and a Panasonic BD-R into boiling water for a minute, afterwards the M-Disc was done, the Panasonic had a lot of errors, but was still readable. So if there’s anything even close to M-Discs it’s Panasonic BD-Rs, unfortunately they have stopped production, and what you can get e.g. at eBay is fucking expensive nowadays.

Wow, thanks for the helpful info. When you meant M-Disc, you meant Verbatim discs, right? I’m not sure but I think M-Disc is just a license from Millenniata, Inc.

It’s disappointing that the Verbatim discs didn’t last through boiling water. If the inner layer can last 10,000 years, why couldn’t they be readable after boiling water? I guess we should still properly condition the environment when storing these discs to be on the safe side. For example, if they are left in direct sunlight or a hot attic, I’m wondering if it would corrupt the data. It’ll probably be ok, given these 2 experiments: Experiment 1 Experiment 2

I guess boiling water at 212° F is a lot hotter although I think attics get as hot as 160°.

From what I know, Verbatim M-DISCs are the only ones available unless you find old stock of the original 25GB versions. Anything 50GB and up are only made by Verbatim. Here is some more info on that: Best BD-R cost/reliability balance in 2020?

It also depends on the amount of layers too. I need the 100GB or 128GB variety and therefore just finished testing the 25GB TDK made in Japan (non-printable)(wanted to compare to the above testing), 50GB Panasonic (printable), 100GB M-DISC (non-printable) and the 128GB Sony (printable), out in the weather (from -10 to 30+ Celsius, storms etc.) for 242 days from winter through summer on a tree stick.

The TDK and Panasonic can still be read just fine (no physical damaged) while the other two have some issues. The M-DISC 100GB and SONY 128GB I had to read the disc three times each, in two separate drives to get all the data I could. No physical damage but some light spots that wouldn’t rub off. They each had two files that couldn’t be read but the M-DISC did better then the Sony. I was testing for video so larger 1GB to 5GB files couldn’t be read all the way through.

The M-DISC is built physically like a tank and can withstand more of a physical beating then the Sony. Dirt just comes off the M-DISC in comparison. All the discs can take more of beating and direct sunlight then I thought possible and still be just fine. If the discs stay physically clean, they will be just fine for a very long time. The largest issue I had was getting them physically clean. My disc experiment had them get very dirty being out in the elements and close to the ground. Then they were cleaned 4 times (breaks down the protective surface a bit) and after testing, put back out in the elements. If I hadn’t done that, the larger ones would have faired better.

At only 140 days out in the elements, only the Sony had issues reading.

With this experiment that I personally did, the Panasonic made discs are the closest you can get to the M-DISC in terms of finish, toughness and longevity. They are both expensive so I don’t see any large advantage of one over the other, after my testing. If you are only needing 25GB or 50GB discs then Panasonic or M-DISC would be your best.

For larger data sets, I would go for 100GB M-DISC or if they were being stored clean (no dirt for example) and needed the space, 128GB Sony’s are the way I would go.

Hope that helps.