Alternative to nero

I’ve been unsing nero and clone cd but i’m not satisfied by the two
First clone cd doesn’t burn iso that don’t have a CCD file, and i have none of them
Second nero doesn’t go over the lead in, if it does it takes 15min to burn @48x

I’m using a lite-on drive, and i don’t understand why the burning is taking so long (ie 5min for lead in and as much for lead out)

ps i’m also looking at a soft so i can use Mt rainier

Alcohol 120% will burn image files for you.
As to your Nero issue, it may not be related to the software, but the media or drive itself. Might be nice if you provide some information about your software versions, drive/firmware, etc.

The drive is a Lite On LTR-40125(forgot the letter) and i flashed it to a LTR-48125W, i just flash it to the VS0D firmware (i was unsing one with an 8 in it i don’t remember the exact name sorry)
I’m using Nero 5.5.9.2 on win2k sp4. The media i just bought them and it’s a bundle of verbatim datalife 48x

I’m thinking it might come from the hardware but i’ve no idea how to solve it

hi,

any chance you are using a nForce2 based board? If so, always use the microsoft provided IDE drivers, never use the nForce2 drivers, they always cause problems.

similar problems that you are describing happen to me, used the microsoft drivers, and poof… all the problems dissappear.

-voodoo

Hey voodoo you’re right i started having problems with my burner since i switch to the nf7 mobo! I never thought about it.
I’ll just have to delete the driver in the device manager, right?

If that doesn’t help, I would flash back to 40x firmware until you get it sorted out, just to eliminate that potential issue.

I will try to flash it back but i’ve the feeling that it’s due to the mobo, the drive was working flawlessly until i switch mobos

ps voodoo i checked my drivers and it looks like i was using microsoft drivers and not nvidia, so i’m dl’ing the lastest drivers and i’ll try them

Look at the IDE controller driver, not the drive.

I was looking at the ide controller not the drive

make sure theres no name there… you dont want it saying nVidia anywhere under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Adapters, should be generic. the picture is my computer at work, so disregard the “intel” stuff. but you should have similar “primary” and “secondary” channels.

That’s what i had and now i installed the latest driver from nvidia
I’ll make a test and post back

None of the drivers are working, i tried the windows one and the nvidia but nothing seems to work! I’m pretty sure it’s the mobo
All the thing does is to write a bit during the lead in and then stop so i lose everytime a cd, it’s been my fourth and i’ve only suceeded three times!

How long should a lead in take? What amount of time?
Once i pass the lead in, the burning is always completed

Originally posted by voodooutt
[B]

any chance you are using a nForce2 based board? If so, always use the microsoft provided IDE drivers, never use the nForce2 drivers, they always cause problems.

similar problems that you are describing happen to me, used the microsoft drivers, and poof… all the problems dissappear.

-voodoo [/B]
Yeah “poof” and your system is sub standard. I have an nForce2 board with nary a problem. People have more problems with VIA chipsets than anything else.

Your “never” and “always” assertions are a long bow for general advice.

Chipset drivers may have issues depending on vendor implementation but this is the exception rather than the rule. I’d exhaust other instability issues and try to reinstall the drivers until I rolled back to native drivers; that’s last resort stuff.

Oups i posted too fast the last time, in fact it’s running normal now. The lead in take approx 2min on my sys but i’ve burnt a full cd in less than 7min. Is that ok or can i tweak it more?

im not tryin to pull stuff outta my u-know-what. im tryin to help this guy figure out whats going on with his system. Like I had said, I’ve had similar problems, so I stated a simple answer to see if that would help.
this is where I based my assumtions on:

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269313

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269313

from experience, if you are getting little quirky problems, goto m$ generic drivers… and see if thats the base of the problem.

I’ve gone through hours and hours of futzing around with alot of drivers / software and hardware and the solution was to use the m$ drivers, alot of other people had the same results.

Originally posted by voodooutt
[B]im not tryin to pull stuff outta my u-know-what. im tryin to help this guy figure out whats going on with his system.
from experience, if you are getting little quirky problems, goto m$ generic drivers… and see if thats the base of the problem.

I’ve gone through hours and hours of futzing around with alot of drivers / software and hardware and the solution was to use the m$ drivers, alot of other people had the same results. [/B]
This is only half the solution. This chestnut has gone full circle a dozen times over the last four years. First is was VIA now it’s nForce. While there were VIA problems the answer was to roll back to a previous version, reinstall until blue in the face, or await the next version which never took long. My own experience with nForce is that don’t ‘take’ first time every time and it’s not always immediately apparent. There are other sub-system issues at stake. nForce drivers are immature and they are not as forgiving as Intel’s but that’s no reason to abandon the IDE drivers.

I have already posted on how to ‘fix’ a recalcitrant nForce install to prove that 1) sticking with native drivers is not the answer and 2) it can be done with a perserverance.

Originally posted by 4nik8
Oups i posted too fast the last time, in fact it’s running normal now. The lead in take approx 2min on my sys but i’ve burnt a full cd in less than 7min. Is that ok or can i tweak it more?

In Nero, with leadin and leadout included, 700MB should take about 3:00 min at 48x.

I second the vote for running nothing but MS IDE drivers on Nforce-1/2 boards. No performance issues at all on optical drives.
If you use the unified Nvidia driver, version 2.03 or 2.45, it should not install the IDE driver (2K/XP) and you wind up with the MS driver. Earlier versions of the unified driver did install the crappy Nvidia driver that rendered many boards incapable of burning. Drivers from the MB install CD will often be the older versions.

Works like a charm.

You guys need to fix your systems.

You guys need to fix your systems

There’s nothing to fix, it’s running exactly as it’s supposed to , and the Nforce driver was never installed by the unified driver pack. (which is correct according to Nvidia at the time)
It’ll be a cold day in hell before I install another Nvidia IDE driver here.