Alternative for Disc Info?

vbimport

Does anyone have an alternative for the Disc Info tool from rpc1.org? I used to use it quite successfully. However, the last update to that tool was in 2008, and it doesn’t work any more with the newer OSs.

What I am looking for is a tool that
(a) checks the firmware of the optical drive, and
(b) searches the rpc1.org database to see if there is a newer firmware update available for that drive.

Any ideas?

[B]Update:[/B] I found very good info on mciahel’s post signature…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=220607
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/howto-flash-firmware-samsung-dvd-writer-231217/

Trying a lot of stuff now…
I discovered that my work PC has a half height Dell-branded TS-H653F burner at FW 200. I downloaded FW300 and 400 from Dell, and applied them. I ran them through MCSE only to find all the options greyed out. So I ran the FW400 through the Patching Utility to see if it removes the riplock and sets the drive to RPC1. I have to restart… for the moment of truth!

Really rpc1 or rpc2 auto reset?

The Patch utility screen showed RPC1. So I don’t know.
(Note: Even my MCSE that I downloaded today shows ‘RPC1 patch’ with the checkbox, and not ‘RPC2 auto reset’)
After the reset and restart, I checked the drive with Disk Info, and now it has No Lock Detected. Yay! :bigsmile:

Good! Then you have regionkiller running?

I am ashamed to confess my ignorance, but I don’t know what you mean by regionkiller… :o

RPC2 autoreset is only available for a couple of Optiarcs and some Renesas based LG drives.

Michael

[QUOTE=aquarius012273;2524467]I am ashamed to confess my ignorance, but I don’t know what you mean by regionkiller… :o[/QUOTE]

You need a tool like regionkiller running in the background to defeat the region protection completely.

[QUOTE=chef;2524597]You need a tool like regionkiller running in the background to defeat the region protection completely.[/QUOTE]
Oh! I didn’t know that I needed something like regionkiller even with a region-unlocked drive! :eek:

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of Asterix DVDs made in UK… I shall pop them in an try.