(almost) Lightscribe with ORDINARY BURNER

Hi all, there is a way how you can burn visible images (labels, pictures, …) on CD with ordinary burner. No lightscribe or disct@2 capable burner and no special CD is needed! :clap:

Check out this link:

The man who developed this software used data sectors with 2336 Bytes of data. He uses lot of preprocessing during “raw” image creation - e.g. srambling data, CIRC and finally EFM.

:bigsmile:
I’m trying to create my own similar software. I think there is a way how developer can have entire 2352Bytes under control (using RAW format and mode02 described in ECMA130).

My prototype of SW uses two different byte patterns to draw circles with different density/pattern. But when I tried to draw more complex shapes (e.g. rectangle / lines / …), I did not succeed. In result, the image was scrambled on CD.

I wonder what structure should RAW data have. Do I need some additional processing when I want to burn RAW data? I used Alcohol 120% for my experiment. My RAW image contained set of 2352B long sectors with patterns 0x20 and 0xA8 (because they create most different patterns after EFM).

If I am right, these patterns should be mapped to 00000000100000 (for 0x20H) and to 01001001001001 (for 0xA8H) according to EFM. I rely on my burner that it provides this conversion.

But I am not sure if I need to do some extra things (CIRC, scrambling, etc.). Alcohol 120% contains checkbox to choose if data in image are already scrambled or not. So I mean if I choose following parameters for burning, it should give me result that I expect.

Track Format: Data Track Mode 2 Form 1
Block size: 2352 Bytes
Image header/footer size: 0 Bytes
Data was scrambled already: YES
Data contains EDC/ECC info sections: NO

in second window (after click on Next >):
Write speed: (the slowest one)
Write method: RAW DAO
All other checkboxes are NON CHECKED

Does someone experience with this approach of creating drawings / labels on CD or are you interrested in this? Every idea that can help to improve this technique is invited.

Thank you for every response.

Mh, does it work for you?

I think if you want to control every bit/byte that gets burned, you must also include the EDC/ECC information. This is part of a normal 2352 ROM sector.

Also, remember that the data for 1 sector is interleaved (spread out) on the disc over 3 sectors I think. This could cause problems as well I guess.

Are you doing this on the data side or the label side of the CD-R? I assume it’s the data side since I don’t think a normal drive will even attempt to burn to the label side.

Yes you’re right I am using data side of CD for my experiments. In addition I use CD-RW (to save money and nuture). Patterns are harderly visible, but when you iluminate the CD with flashlight under right angle, you can see the pattern clearly.

I tried also to check EDC/ECC checkbox in Alcohol 120%, but result is still scrambled on CD. I will take a closer look at that interleave you mentioned about.

Hi johnycache,

Is that posible that I can have a copy of your sourecode?
my email klchin@1asia.com.my

Regards,
KL Chin

I suggest you all to contact the author of the Instructables article, to invite him here, and to create a website where you can share and develop your programs, i.e. Sourceforge.net.
It would be the best to get more help, contributions and feedback.
Exchanging the sources by mail and having two different branches is not a great way of doing things.

Hi olafmarzocchi,

I agreed with you.

Regards,
KL Chin

Why do you need to write EFM??? Why can’t you just figure out how many bits it takes to come back around to the area of the disc that you want a feature and burn 1s in that area? Like, have a patch of 1s be the area that is gonna change, and the 0s are totally unchanged chemically? How would you even construct and then burn a file of this type?