Almost got it, but... (Prob with DVD2svcd and authoring step)

vbimport

Hello group. I’ve been trying for a few weeks now to get something to work with DVD2SVCD. I have version 1.2.2 build 3. I took an AVI/DivX movie and ran it though DVD2SVCD. I think the programmers did an nice job trying to piece together the hard-to-find all-in-one application! However, in my case, the required DVD files (the .VOB, the .IFO, the .BUP and so forth) failed to produce so I have nothing to burn to the DVD.

I believe I carefully set everything I thought I was supposed to. After a full day of “processing” we got all the way to the authoring step or phase of the suite and it failed with an error while authoring. Follows the log file titled: DVD_Author_log.txt -

DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.10.
Build options: gnugetopt iconv freetype
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: Locale=C
INFO: Converting filenames to US-ASCII
INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01

STAT: Processing D:\Working\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg…
ERR: Error opening D:\Working\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg: No such file or directory

I reviewed the main log file titled: dvd2svcd_log.txt and this is what I find:

WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.1.0

• 01/22/2005 10:37:40 AM
  • AVI to SVCD Conversion
  • AVI2DVD ver. 1.2.2 build 3

Initializing
WARNING! You seem to be using “Norton Unerase Protection” and
you want to delete the temporary files created by dvd2svcd.
This can cause DVD2SVCD problems. Even though DVD2SVCD deletes
the temporary files, Norton doesn’t, therefore DVD2SVCD
might run into diskspace problems. I suggest that you stop the
“Norton Unerase Protection” Service.

• 01/22/2005 10:37:43 AM
  • Free on drive D: 32729.56 mb
  • AUDIO Extraction

Audio extraction finished.

• 01/22/2005 10:38:22 AM
  • Free on drive D: 32647.34 mb
  • AUDIO conversion

• 01/22/2005 10:38:25 AM
  • Free on drive D: 32647.34 mb
  • AUDIO conversion

Converting MP2 to WAV. Filename: D:\Working\Extracted_audio_1.mpa
Executing MADPlay (mp2 to wav). Commandline:
“D:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\MADPlay\madplay.exe” --quiet

–output=wave:“D:\Working\Encoded_audio_1.mpa.wav”

“D:\Working\Extracted_audio_1.mpa”
Conversion (mp2 to wav) of D:\Working\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

Encoding Audio. Filename: D:\Working\Extracted_audio_1.mpa
Executing BeSweet. Commandline:
“D:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe” -core( -input

“D:\Working\Encoded_audio_1.mpa.wav” -output “D:\Working\Encoded_audio_1.mpa”

-payload -logfile “D:\Working\Encoded_audio_1.log” )
Audio conversion of D:\Working\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

Audio conversion finished.

• 01/22/2005 10:45:17 AM
  • Free on drive D: 30230.84 mb
  • Video Encoding using Cinema Craft

Executing Cinema Craft Encoder.
StreamSectors: 4546875788
AudioSectors: 2324
VideoPAPO: 70433496
ScanOffsetBytes: 322863
SeqAligningBytes: 20519737
DVDBytes: 0
VideoEndHeader: 4
SubtitleSectors: 0
EmptySectors: 238.00
PictureSectors: 0.00
PureMPEGStream: 4455597363.67
Seconds: 7183.92
CalcMPEGStream: 4455597363.67
Frames: 215242
CDSize: 4350.00
Number of CDs: 1
Cut point 4346.00
Variable Settings:
Frames: 215242
Anti Noise Filter: Off
Passes: 3
Image Quality: 17
VAF file creation: On
Video Encoding Mode: Multipass VBR
Min. bitrate: 800
Max. bitrate: 8000
Avg. Bitrate: 4961
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (No borders, encoded as 4:3)

—AVS Begin—
LoadPlugin(“D:\PROGRA~1\DVD2SVCD\AVISYN~1.5PL\Mpeg2dec\MPEG2D~1.DLL”)
AVISource(“D:\Working\MEETTH~1.AVI”,audio=false)
ConvertToYUY2()
LanczosResize(720,470)
AddBorders(0,5,0,5)
Import(“D:\Working\ResampleAudio.avs”)
ResampleAudio(44100)
----AVS End----

Closing program
CCE Max Speed: 0.380
Video Encoding finished.

• 01/23/2005 7:59:03 AM
  • Free on drive D: 26468.06 mb
  • Multiplexing Audio and Video

Executing MPlex. Commandline:
“D:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe” -f 8 -o

“D:\Working\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg” “D:\Working\Encoded_Video_CCE_NTSC.mpv”

“D:\Working\Encoded_audio_1.mpa”

• 01/23/2005 7:59:07 AM
  • Free on drive D: 26468.03 mb
  • Determining length of audio

Analyzing finished.

• 01/23/2005 7:59:12 AM
  • Free on drive D: 26468.00 mb
  • Authoring DVD

Executing DVDAuthor. Commandline:
“D:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\dvdauthor.exe” -x

“D:\Working\DVDAuthor.xml”
DVDAuthor failed for unknown reasons!
For details open: “D:\Working\DVDAuthor_log.txt”

So, what does this mean? I can’t see any error in the muxing step in the main log. What could be the reason that “MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg” wasn’t produced. According to what I see, this file is needed for the compilation step. The contents of DVDAuthor.xml shows this:

• <dvdauthor dest=“D:\Working\DVD-Files”>
    <vmgm />
  • <titleset>
  • <titles>
    <video format=“ntsc” />
    <audio lang="–" />
  • <pgc>
    <vob file=“D:\Working\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg” chapters=“00:00:00” />
    <post>call vmgm menu;</post>
    </pgc>
    </titles>
    </titleset>
    </dvdauthor>

Yet MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg isn’t present. There’s plenty of room on this hard disk in case you were thinking along those lines.

Really nice package if only I could figure out what it wants in these final steps or phases. Anyone here like to take a shot with me?

The other thing is, now that I’ve gotten this so close, would there be any way now to take what’s been processed over the last 24 hours and use it to come up with the .VOB, .IFO, .BUP etc. files???

Thanks.

The other thing is, now that I’ve gotten this so close, would there be any way now to take what’s been processed over the last 24 hours and use it to come up with the .VOB, .IFO, .BUP etc. files???

Yes, go to where you stored the files for your encoding and look for the “*.mpv” file. If there are two and one is a “pulldown~.mpv” file use it. Then look for your sound files. There may be multiple ones. Look for an .ac3 file if it exists you are ready to go. If not convert the .wav or mp2 to .ac3. The tutorials here will explain. Note, I think if you are using PAL and in an area that PAL is the standard then you can use the .mp2 instead of an .ac3. If it’s an NTSC then .ac3 is the standard. The DVD player may play the sound w/mp2 or it may not. My DVD doesn’t play the sound if it’s mp2.

Then use DVDAuthor to author your movie yourself. Just open up DVDAuthor and follow your instincts. It’s fairly intuitive. You will load the mpv first then the sound file. Don’t worry about the menu part skip it for now. It’s easier that way. You can make chapters I usually just used specific time intervals as that let me check to see if the DVD would play all the way through. I’m sorry about the weak steps in DVDAuthor but I don’t use that program at the present. I did this quickly I hope it makes sense.

Closing program
CCE Max Speed: 0.380
Video Encoding finished.

With such a low CCE speed, I assume you using a P500 or similar, therefore I’d also assume your running Windows98/ME. DVD2SVCD will not work 100% under Win98 as files greater then 4 gb are produced (FAT32 max file size). Upgrade to Win2000 or XP

Hello CM. Been hard for me to get back on here lately. I am on a P-III using W XP Pro SP1. The CPU is just a dog so that’s probably why you see “slow” (and I do too!!)

I’m on NTSC here and I’m in trouble again! I’m trying to follow the sage advice given here and converting the .WAV file to AC3. Unable to find a precise tutorial for this. It looks like BeSweet has that capability but after finding and loading in the GUI and getting it set up (input file/output file and two other selections) I hit the “Go” bar and nothing happens. Nothing - no error and no complaint - and no AC3 file either. I played with this for about an hour, same difference. So I went on over to DVD Lab Pro and saw that had an “AC3 Conversion” feature so let’s use that. OK, but as soon as I drag or select the "Encoded_audio_1_mpa.WAV file to include in it’s “Asset” bin, DVD Lab Pro complains with a fatal error that says, “Wrong Frequency - DVD supports PCM audio 48 or 96 kHz.” “File Frequency 24 kHz”.

So now I guess I have to bring the freq up from 24 to 48 kHz, before I can convert it to AC3, before I can mux it with the .MPV for DVD recording. Anyone know if that’s right? What procedure is used to bump it up to 48/96 kHz? Am I somewhere in the ballpark here? :slight_smile:

CM - would you suggest posting this current problem of conversion to AC3 in the Audio forum for a response there? I notice most of that material has to do with CD Audio. I’m having no luck at all converting that resultant WAV file - seems like everything I try runs into a dead end of one kind or another. Including trying to locate AC3enc.exe - that thing is just nowhere to be found apparently because it’s .dll (AC3enc.dll) got a bad rep toward the end of '03, right?

Is the Audio forum the best place for this now???

Thanks.

Sorry, I thought I had updated my Tute a while back but appears I did not. Check out http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=78614

DVD demands 48khz sampled audio, therefore its essential to resample to make dvd compliant files to be assured of playback. Personally I use GoldWave to resample all my MP2 or WAV (save out as WAV) to 48khz and Normalize it while I’m there, then use ffMPEG to convert the WAV to AC3.

On the reason way the muxed file is missing which CM alluded to.
Unless your destination drive is NTFS the muxed file will not be created because it’s larger than the FAT32 limit. I would be almost certain that this is the problem you’ve encountered.
I think this suite of apps is superb but sometimes the error handling/display is not 100%.
The step about Goldwave etc is not always necessary if you have adequate volume in the source audio. I use ffmpeg , via it’s gui (ffmpeggui), to extract audio from avi files and convert to 2 ch AC3. It will set the output sampling rate to either 44100hz or 48000hz depending on what you select.

If the original audio was 44.1khz, your right ffMPEG will resample it to 48khz for you but almost 100% guarenteed to put audio out of sync to video. Use Goldwave and almost 100% guarenteed it WILL NOT. ffMPEG is easy to use but simply does not do a good job of resampling. SSRC (using BeSweetGUI) is another excellent resampler.

Thanks CM

I didn’t know that, best change the way I do things from now on.

Cheers

Not having read the further advice about Goldwave, I went and used ffmpeg. It resampled OK to 48K. I loaded the .MPV and converted AC3 into DVD Lab and -bingo- it was a success. I have the second movie in the series almost converted except part 2 came out PAL instead of NTSC. So I have to convert that “Encoded_Video_CCE_PAL.MPV” to “Encoded_Video_CCE_NTSC” - right?

('Cause I went and tried it and my player won’t budge on it…) Is that conversion taking place inside DVD2SVCD?

No, you need to convert the PAL AVI to NTSC, see that post at the bottom of the AVI to DVDR Tute on how to do that.

Wow, this is really a “picky” procedure!!! Not anything like burning a CD from your MP3s!!

Tell me CM am I supposed to be reading this tute: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=80559 or should I be someplace else??

Also, I have 8 other clips to convert from the TV series so I’d like to avoid 7 additional nasty surprises. I ran G-Spot on them to see if they’re all PALs. G-Spot’s the wrong tool! What’s the tool to use to determine if an AVI is PAL or NTSC?

Someday I’ll address the issue of why DVD2SVCD which I’m getting used to won’t complete the entire process. But let me see if I can get these pieces sorted out.

Help from all greatly appreciated…

Wrong tute, try http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=61142

GSpot is the absolute best tool, if its 25.000fps then its PAL, if its anything else (either 23.976 or 29.97 fps) then its NTSC, how hard is that?

Excellent! Thank You! And, I’ll have to make sure those PAL/NTSC values are saved somewhere where I can remember them!

Now, let me explain a little further of what I did. I took a different route than using DVD2SVCD because I can never get it to completely process a file in “one” step. And, I note the gent’s previous comment about NTFS file sizes which perhaps leaves me looking for Goldwave per CM’s advise earlier. Both drives are FAT32 here unfortunately.

I took the AVIs, and ran them through WinAVI - a conversion utility that produced an .mpv and a .ac3 in about an hour’s time for a 45 minute episode. I then loaded up a copy of DVDLabPro, and dragged the .mpv and the .ac3 into their appropriate spots in DVDLab - Movie 1. I then added “Movie 2” and repeated dragging the second .mpv and .ac3 into their respective positions. I continued adding new “Movies” and dragging contents until I hit 4.6 gig in DVDLab. Next I selected “Compile” and after the compilation in DVDLab I then used its built in “burn” feature to record. This created one no-frills DVD containing 6 episodes strung in a row, but without menus and other goodies which didn’t bother me. I still have a lot to learn about the basics… Anyway:

Sadly, the audio is out of synch in this fashion. Each episode starts out in synch but as the episode plays, the audio preceeds the video a little longer until finally at the end of a 45 minute episode, it’s way off by about a second plus. Now, I don’t know which phase (converting in WinAVI or loading the segments or burning them in DVDLab) is causing this to occur. I’ll bet you’re going to point at WinAVI as the chief culprit.

So, let me ask this then - if I went back and really really concentrated max efforts on getting DVD2SVCD to work properly all the way through, (or a combination of that plus GoldWave), I think it would be worth it in terms of providing a finished product including proper synch video-to-audio? Agree or disagree?

You picked it in one. Sorry, but I would never suggest my enemy to use WinAVI :slight_smile: If your not using CCE or Procoder to do your AVI conversions, using anything else your just wasting your time.

OK, I think I got it now. Toss that one in the bit bucket. What I guess the experts say then is to fire up DVD2SVCD and try to make that work because it gives the best results. Unfortunately, as I found out, it won’t go all the way through to produce the final result - I have to “manually” take over midway through - supposedly due to the FAT vs NTFS limitation. Therefore, let me start re-reading what’s been said here and try and make it work.

One final observation if I might: I can see now why this whole technology, though it is very good, is very much more complicated and finicky than the normal “appliance operator” can contend with. Hence the bazillions of questions.

Thanks CM and all who’ve supported me as I’ve attempted to learn…