AllofMP3.com Down, MP3Spark.com Next?

Yesterday, Slyck.com reported that AllofMp3.com had finally gone offline. It appeared that the enormous international pressure cooker finally convinced the Russian authorities to take negate this gray market music store. As of yesterday, AllofMp3.com was gone, with nothing but a defunct screen in its place. Had Media Service, the company behind AllofMp3.com, given up its aspirations of being the online music store?

Not quite. Although AllofMP3.com is down, its sister site Mp3Spark.com is still operational. Mp3Spark.com is very similar to AllofMp3.com in many ways. In fact, aside from a few graphical and color differences, the two are virtually identical in concept and purpose. Users report that their screen names and account balances have carried over from AllofMp3.com.

Like AllofMp3.com, the user has a multitude of file choices. MP3, WMA, FLAC, Monkey’s Audio Lossless, MPEG-4, and several other formats are available. The customer can also choose from a variety of bitrates, such as 128-320 constant bitrate or 128-320 variable bitrate. As the choice of quality increases, so does the price.

Mp3Spark.com charges a bit more than its sister site. A typical 192 kbps MP3 is priced around 10-20 cents, with more popular work slightly higher. Full albums are typically priced between $2.00 and $3.00. And like AllofMp3.com, Mp3Spark.com claims to be 100% legal, thanks to its arrangement with Federation for Collective Copyright Management of Works Used Interactively (NP-FAIR).

“In accordance to the licenses’ terms MediaServices pays license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the Law of the Russian Federation “On Copyright and Related Rights””, states Mp3Spark.com’s legal notice. “All these materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution, resale or broadcasting are prohibited.”

Is this enough to satisfy Media Service’s old nemesis, the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry)? Slyck queried the IFPI, “…has the IFPI begun to investigate the legality of Mp3sparks.com?”

“Allofmp3.com violated copyright law in Russia and internationally by ripping off artists and creators, taking music that it had no right to reproduce and selling it worldwide," a response attributable to IFPI chairman and chief executive John Kennedy reads. “If this is the end of allofmp3.com, this is good news and the real winners are the legal digital services who are producing and selling music the right way and paying creators.”

The second paragraph of the IFPI’s response gets a bit more interesting. They do not specifically mention Mp3Spark.com, however the second sentence appears to indirectly address our question, as it was presented to us in bold.

“The apparent closure of AllofMp3.com is a positive move which recognizes that the site is illegal - but this is by no means the end of the story. Russia remains a huge source of internet piracy. We would now like to see decisive action taken against similar copyright-infringing sites to show that the Russian authorities are indeed seriously committed to enforcing intellectual property rights.”

There could be a multitude of reasons why the IFPI is only alluding to “other similar” Russian sites. If the IFPI is indeed preparing for another showdown, it would make sense not to publicly divulge their strategy. In any case, it’s doubtful that Mp3Spark.com’s impact on the Internet landscape will be anywhere remotely as earth shattering at AllofMp3.com, as like its sister site, it currently does not accept credit card payments.

Original Story

Is there any other alternative site similar to allofmp3 for me to buy songs?

TIA!

Yahoo music offers some DRM free music with a great price. To go anyways. $14.99 per month.

I see mp3sparks took an incredible hit on bandwidth from like july 2nd)–and I checked (just out of curiosity mind you) and it is still down.

Alltunes (I Hear) was down also. But (I Hear) it is back up and running after down for a couple days.

:bigsmile:

I had a quick check at my end and and MP3sparks does not even resolve to IP address, never mind load up, so this does not look good for that replacement site. :disagree:

This mp3newswire shows how quickly the site took over from Allofmp3 with an alexa graph comparison.

There was this site exatly simular to allofmp3.com it was called mp3fiesda.com, i think that might have been another fallback website but that also is offline now.

Might want to check this forum/thread:

http://www.aom3.org/forum/showthread.php?t=603

ppl mp3fiesda is now avaliable