All in one DVD Ripper for a newbie?

Hello all, i am new to this whole DVD ripping thing, and new to this great community. I hope you guys can help me!

I have lots of DVDs, HD DVDs, and Blu Rays that i would like to have a copy of on my computers hard drive. But when doing research on DVD rippers i see that you need a program to Rip the DVD (which i think means to take off the DRM stuff) and another program to copy the VIDEO_TS files, and another program to covert those VIDEO_TS files so something you can play with a media player.

What i’m looking for is one program that will do the following:

-Can take off the DRM stuff on DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu Ray (Blu Ray ripping is not needed but a nice perk)

-Copy the VIDEO_TS files and convert them to something i can play

-Do it to the highest possible quality

-Put the new movie on my hard drive (a lot of programs require you to copy them to another DVD)

And i have another question:

When the whole process is complete and i access the movie on my computer will it go straight to the movie, or will i be able to see the menu screen and pick scene selection, and special features, and subtitle options.

Thanks!

P.S. Price is not really an issue here.

Scroll down the main Forum page to “Movie copy Software” and look at the DVDFab subforum. There is also a HighDefinition forum for hardware/software. DVDFab is about the only game in town for an all-in-one package.

Yes. Fab is keeping up with everything. The wife loves to buy them movies. The newer one’s are getting hard to backup with the freebie stuff.

DVDFab is not yet effective on Blu Ray movies with BD+ protection. If you need to rip those to the hard drive, the only choice is AnyDVD HD. AnyDVD is not an all-in-one program however.

Ripping means moving the video (or audio) from the disk to the hard drive. With encrypted disks, this means the disk has to be decrypted first, which AnyDVD or DVDFab will do for you.

DVD video is contained within the Video_TS folder. Any media player capable of playing dvd video can play straight from the Video_TS folder. Among the free choices are VLC, Media Player Classic HomeCinema, Gom player, and KMPlayer. PowerDVD and WinDVD are two of the best known commercial players.

While DVDFab is a fine transcoder, any compression used on a dvd will reduce quality. If you just do straight rips to the hard drive without compression, you will not hurt quality at all. Compression is applied in order to burn to single layer blank dvds, which doesn’t seem to be your intention.

If you rip the entire movie to the hard drive, you will retain all the features found on the disk, including menus.

If your purpose is not to burn to blank dvds, but only to rip the entire movie to the hard drive, I’d suggest getting AnyDVD HD. It is rather expensive, but there is an option to have free updates for life (most cost upfront). AnyDVD HD has a built in ripper, so you can rip the entire movie in file format to the hard drive, it is effective with virtually all Blu ray disks, and you have the option to rip as ISO files if ripping Blu Ray. It is also effective with HD DVD disks.

On the other hand, if you intend to rip only the main movie, or remove foreign language tracks, or if you need the ability to compress dvds and burn them, and you want all this contained in one program, the best choice for you would be DVDFab.

thanks for the replies, there are so many versions of DVDFab, i dont know which to choose. When i go on their site they have DVD to DVD, Blu Ray to Blu Ray, what are these!? why isnt it just one program?

I was also doing my own research and saw on called Aimersoft DVD Studio Pack, is that good? or should i stick with DVDFab? and when i googled top 10 dvd rippers it came up with this http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

this says DVD Cloner 6 is the best.

Any advice?

Windows Media Player can play DVDs does this mean it can also play video_ts? if so how do i make it play them, do i just double click the video_ts folder?

EDIT: i went to the DVDFab sub forum and the sticky said go here: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/Introduction

but this says DVDfab can only do DVD to DVD and DVD to Mobile, I want to do DVD to Hard Drive.

Also, If i used AnyDVD HD to take of the BD+ on Blu Rays will DVDFab be able to decrypt and copy the files to my hard drive. Im considering getting AnyDVD HD and DVDFab since AnyDVD runs in the background it wont be a hassle for me. But there is still the question about the other DVD rippers i mentioned earlier (Aimersoft DVD Studio Pack/DVD Cloner 6).

[QUOTE=um0123;2414380]thanks for the replies, there are so many versions of DVDFab, i dont know which to choose.[/QUOTE]The free edition DVDFab HD Decrypter would be enough for your DVD needs.

[QUOTE=um0123;2414380]
EDIT: i went to the DVDFab sub forum and the sticky said go here: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/Introduction

but this says DVDfab can only do DVD to DVD and DVD to Mobile, I want to do DVD to Hard Drive.
[/QUOTE]If you open Main Features site you get the full list.

[ul]
[li]Copy any DVD to hard drive and blank disc[/li]> [/ul]

DVDFab will allow you to rip a dvd to the hard drive, either the full movie or just the main movie, whichever you prefer. DVDFab HD Decrypter is the free section within DVDFab and will continue to function as a ripping/decryption program even after the trial for the main section of DVDFab expires.

Aimersoft is a notorious spamming outfit. I’d ignore anything from them, or DVDCloner 6 either one. Seriously, [B]don’t[/B] invest in those programs.

Windows Media Player in XP does not have the ability to playback dvds natively. You have to add a dvd decoder. WMP in Vista can playback dvds. I prefer virtually anything else, but it should be able to play dvd-video in file format.

You cannot use AnyDVD HD and DVDFab at the same time. They are incompatible. You don’t need DVDFab for blu ray if you have AnyDVD HD anyway. AnyDVD HD’s built in ripper can get the video to the hard drive for you.

Hi :slight_smile:
As already stated, AnyDVD HD will do all you require in relation to the questions raised in your post.
However you need something like Slysofts Virtual CloneDrive
( http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html ) to "mount the iso files.
This is a free program.
Once mounted you view like a normal disc with PowerDVD etc.
If you’ve ripped the whole disc to your HDD.
Then you’ll get all the extra’s/menus etc too.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2414411]
Windows Media Player in XP does not have the ability to playback dvds natively. You have to add a dvd decoder. WMP in Vista can playback dvds. I prefer virtually anything else, but it should be able to play dvd-video in file format.[/QUOTE]

I have Vista 64 bit, so it should work. but why do you prefer other stuff? and which do you prefer?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2414411]
You cannot use AnyDVD HD and DVDFab at the same time. They are incompatible. You don’t need DVDFab for blu ray if you have AnyDVD HD anyway. AnyDVD HD’s built in ripper can get the video to the hard drive for you.[/QUOTE]

Okay, It can rip it to my hard drive, but does it decrypt it? (this may be a dumb question). In the video tutorial for AnyDVD HD it automatically takes the DRM stuff off it, but thats not ripping it to your hard drive. How would i get to to my hard drive?

Does ripping mean it takes the DRM stuff off the DVD, or does it mean it takes the DRM stuff off AND decrypts the file to Video_TS.

If i choose to get AnyDVD, what other program would i need to copy the movie to my hard drive?

Also, just out of curiosity, What is DVDfab DVD to DVD and Blu ray to Blu ray do? If the free edition deos everything from DVDs to HD DVDs why would someone buy the other two?

And why are people saying DVDFab cant use Blu Ray if it said on the website its new update can:

May 15, 2009
DVDFab 6.0.1.0 Updated!

New: DVDFab 6 is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
New: DVDFab 6 consists of several feature options: “DVD to DVD”, “Blu-ray to Blu-ray”, “DVD to Mobile”, “File to Mobile” and “File Mover”.
New: DVDFab “DVD to DVD” was previously DVDFab Platinum.
New: Updated user interface.
New: Updated language files.

P.S. sorry for all the stupid questions, im just trying to make sure i purchase the right product.

DVD Fab and most other good programs have a [B]free trial[/B], make sure you use it. Then you can try it before you buy it.:wink:

Ripping is a general term for moving data, whether it be audio or video from a disk to the hard drive. In order to rip a protected dvd or blu ray disk, you have to decrypt it first. Which is the whole point of buying a program like DVDFab or AnyDVD.

You don’t need any other program than AnyDVD HD to rip to the hard drive if all you want to do is rip the entire movie. AnyDVD does not give you the option to do less than the entire movie when you use their built-in ripper. To access the ripper section of AnyDVD, you right click on the red fox icon at the bottom right side of the screen. The two options you do get with the built in ripper are to rip as files (which works for both blu ray and dvds) or to rip as an ISO file (which works for Blu ray). Since I have never dealt with HD DVD I’m not certain if you can rip them as ISO’s.

I don’t know if the free section of DVDFab can decrypt and rip HD DVD’s or Blu ray. You’ll have to wait and get confirmation for that from someone else or go look it up in the DVDFab forum. It can work for plain dvds. But the free section will not compress, or allow you to save as ISO files, or burn, or take particular sections out. The free decrypter allows you to rip as files only, either the main movie or the entire movie. So there are a lot of extras you don’t get with the free decrypter.

DVDFab is not effective against commercially made Blu ray movies with BD+ protection. This is an additional protection that is not mandatory on blu ray, but is becoming more and more common. This is why I do not recommend DVDFab as a blu ray decrypter. Apparently they are working on a solution, but they are a long way behind Slysoft/AnyDVD HD at this point.

Edit: And to answer your question about my preferences in a dvd player…I use PowerDVD most of the time for both dvd and Blu ray playback on my computer. No reason, other than the fact that it works for both type of videos and handles the menus on Blu ray well. The free options choke on Blu ray menus sometimes. I don’t believe Windows Media Player can handle Blu ray playback, at least not to my knowledge.

Hi :slight_smile:
AnyDVD HD once installed will “run in the background” removing the likes of DRM etc.
In the taskbar you will find the “redfox”.

N.B. This is Windows 7. So if using Vista or Xp it will look different. But acts the same.
It maybe be hidden, so click on arrow to reveal. (see red box).

Click on the “redfox” to get menu.

Rip Video DVD to Harddisk [Black box] is for standard DVD’s & will put files in video format.

Rip to Image [Red box] is primarily used for Blu-ray & rips to iso. files.

Thanks for the replies, lots of good info.

So let me see if i understand this. DVDFab will decrypt and copy the video to my hard drive and allow me to choose sections to keep or not. And will also convert it to other formats. But it cannot do HD DVDs or Blu Ray.

AnyDVD will only decrypt the entire dvd to my hard drive, but it cannot convert it or let me select specific parts.

is that right?

And they both rip the files as Video_TS (unless converted) because only video_ts files have dvd menus. And PowerDVD can read the video_TS files.

And i cant use AnyDVD to decrypt the a blu ray, and then use DVDFab to convert it?

Help please, i dont know which version of DVDFab to get, on their site they have DVD to DVD, blu Ray to Blu Ray, DVD to Mobile, file to mobile, and file mover.

Download version 6.0.4.0 and you will get a 30 free trial of all the programs to try out. D/L from DVDFAB.com for the CSS version not DVDFAB.net which you will only get the NON-CSS version which won’t remove the protection, Also there is a DVDFAB Forum here on CD Freaks

[QUOTE=um0123;2414875]Help please, i dont know which version of DVDFab to get, on their site they have DVD to DVD, blu Ray to Blu Ray, DVD to Mobile, file to mobile, and file mover.[/QUOTE]There is a link to DVDFab HD Decrypter in Post #6 :wink: