All CD drives suddenly broken

vbimport

Hi, this morning when I booted up my comp I got a shock - all my physical (DVD-RW/CD-RW) and virtual (Alcohol/Daemon tools) drives stopped working.

At first I got error code 41 (something wrong with the hardware). I then uninstalled the devices in the device manager and rebooted, hoping Win XP will restart with fresh, working drivers. Now I get error code 19 (registry error).

The things I did recently to my computer:
Installed a new PCI/ATA133 IDE controller card (about 1 month ago)
Did a registry scan & fix with Registry Mechanic (about 3 days ago)
Installed DirectX 9.0c (2 days ago)
Disabled read permissions for my Alcohol virtual drive in the registry (1 day ago, but it removes these changes on rebooting).

How do I fix this problem?

Thanks.

What kind of shock if I may ask? Static electricity?

if your using XP try system restore.

Oh, by “shock” I meant metaphorically, so:
“…I got a shock…” = “…I was surprised…”

I tried using Win XP system restore, but when I do that I can’t see any CD drives at all now. Previously I couldn’t even get into Windows until I selected “Use last known good configuration”.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit and click OK.

2. Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. Right-click on both the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters registry values and choose Delete/Ok. If you find only one of the Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values, delete just the one.

2. Close the registry editor and restart the machine.

same thing from MSKB:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
  2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
  4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
  5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
  6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
  7. Restart your computer.

Or if you donr fancy doing all that, run this VB script. Yes It works and it safe.

\\VH////
:slight_smile: