Alien: Director's Cut R1 - DTS drops out

I’ve tested three copies of this movie. On all of them, the DTS audio drops out like every other chapter in WinDVD 7 and PowerDVD 6. Has anyone else had a problem with this DVD? I have played other DTS movies without issue, but this disc seems to be defective or poorly mastered. I’ve tried ripping it with DVDfab Decrypter, DVD Decrypter, and AnyDVD ripper with no success. The DTS audio still drops out intermittently. Any ideas how to fix this?

calweycn,
I backed up this R1 release twice. I never compress. First time I split the entire original over two media. After one of those broke I made a second backup on DL Verbatim. My Alien original is the two-disk Director’s Cut from the Alien Quadrilogy nine-disk boxed set but I think it is the same as the two-disk release that you own.

Both dts tracks worked properly. One improbable but possible solution that I noticed (either on the cdf or the ss forums) was a thread where the compression level of a backup of Alien caused supposed dts problems. When the poster followed a suggestion to back it up 1:1 he said the track worked properly. Actually the solution didn’t make sense because he used CloneDVD which has no history of dts problems compressed or not. It’s my understanding that CloneDVD only compresses video files and not tracks. … but I was happy he got resolved to his satisfaction.

Does your original play without problems? The other possibility is that you have a problem with WinDVD 7 and PowerDVD 6 as played on your hardware. Or your rig itself has a decoding issue or hits a system resources wall upon playback. Since you have tried several different backup programs, a system playback issue is more likely to be your issue. It’s a long shot that bad DVD authoring or a flawed original is your problem. The Alien releases are all pretty classy products.

Try playing your backup on a standalone player with the dts audio run through a receiver/amp that decodes dts.

Best regards,
Whisperer

I’m not using any compression, just ripping the files and loading in PowerDVD, or playing the original disc. I tried two other copies, and had the same issues with DTS dropping out like every other chapter. FixVTS failed to fix it. Maybe the Quadrilogy version is fixed. I’ve tried backing it up several different ways, even using Shrink with just the movie and DTS. Nothing has worked.

The other possibility is that you have a problem with WinDVD 7 and PowerDVD 6 as played on your hardware. Or your rig itself has a decoding issue or hits a system resources wall upon playback. Try playing your backup on a standalone player with the dts audio run through a receiver/amp that decodes dts.

I don’t have a DTS decoder for my stand-alone player. I used my sound card. Alien’s DTS track doesn’t work on my old sound card, either. I’ve played other DVDs with DTS, including full bitrate DTS. I don’t think it’s a system resource issue. I haven’t made a back-up of the DVD, and won’t until I find out how to get the DTS audio working. I can’t see any reason for this problem.