Algohol 120%: Copying SecuROM 4.8x protected games with no emulation

vbimport

I followed the guide making a ccd image with alcohol from my retail Blackhawk down disk. used a downloaded BWA file and patched the ccd image file with twinpeaks. then burned the patched image with alcohol using securerom new setting.

result- disk will autoplay from my toshiba ( meaning the first screen will appear) but clicking “start delta force” results in nothing more than my drive light staying on until I use control alt delete to stop it. and then the drive is locked until I reboot.

trying from the lite on 48246S results in getting to the play screen but the “single player” and “multiplayer are greyed out”.

Now I did use the toshiba 1612 asthe reader when making the image should I use the lite on instead?

I would definitely try to use the LiteOn as the reader…I mean it’s not gonna hurt anything :slight_smile:

I tried it using the lite on as reader got the same results.:confused:

Try making your own bwa file. That way you can be sure it’s ok.

philamber - kudos on another well written and informative tutorial, bro :bow:

when i come across another securom 4x protection scheme, you can rest assure that i will try your method :slight_smile:

Where can I download the Twinpeak Tool, since none of the two links above works?

must have beenthe BWA file I downloaded’s fault(BlackHawk Down). I bought hitman 2 and used the guide and a BWA file to make a working copy of hitman 2.

MAD try this link,

http://kickme.to/blackcheck

Great guide :slight_smile:

Anyway I can’t agree with You on the matter that on alc forms there’s no info on how to do it without the emulation, You missed my shortened and somewhat (now) outdated faq :slight_smile:

http://forum.alcohol-software.com/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=901

If there’s no problem I’ll include the link to Your guide in the securom section, ok?

No problem at all VLuka.

As for the info in your thread, sorry, I’d forgotten about it because it’s been so long since anyone referred a user to it on alcohol’s official forums as an alternative to RMPS emulation for copying securom 4.8x protected cds. :wink:

I don’t know if this counts, and I posted this a while back, but it was ignored. I was hoping someone could tell me if it worked for them or not.

Unreal 2 Backup Success, i updated the post a bit, as I made an error in the DPM. It didnt work, that was a mistake on my part. The DPM didn’t take but the image still worked perfectly. Beats me why.

Here is the post:

I have had complete success creating a perfect 1:1 backup of Unreal 2.

I used Alcohol 120% 1.4.0 (Build 103) and a Lite-On 24102B.

This is the way I did it. It’s a round about way I know, but it worked. I tried making an image with alcohol and burning it with alcohol, that didnt work. This round about way DID.

1. Made an (.cue/.bin) image with CDRWIN 5.02

2. Mounted the image in Virtual Drive within Alcohol.

3. Used the image making wizard to create a SECOND image from the mounted image. (.BIN -> .MDS)

RMPS was enabled.

Datatype to Securerom *NEW (V4.x), image type is .mds (of course)

The image wizard reportes DPM is being calculated on the first CD, and said that this was UNsuccessfull. Then it went ahead and created the image.

The image wizard reported DPM was being calculated on second cd, but it failed or wasn’t present. The image was still created and successfull.

1. Mounted the new MDS image into Alcohol virtual drive.

2. Burned the image. (NOTE, the SECOND image (.MDS) was about 20-25MB larger than the FIRST image from .BIN from CDRWIN)

Both CDs backed up in this manner preformed like the original. My second computer, was reformated with Win98, and I installed Unreal 2 without a hitch, without any kind of emulation. I have even tried installing the game on a laptop that was just purchased. It only had Win XP on it, and no burning software (Alcohol or anything like it) So Emulation isnt needed to install or play the game.

This worked for me, I hope it works for someone else. If you have any questions about how I did this, just ask. I’m confused myself as to how it worked, I was just trying anything to make it happen.

Maybe this doesn’t work with other games, but I would appreciate some input. Any ideas on why this worked?

WolfymoZ

Originally posted by WolfymoZ
[B]I don’t know if this counts, and I posted this a while back, but it was ignored. I was hoping someone could tell me if it worked for them or not.

Unreal 2 Backup Success, i updated the post a bit, as I made an error in the DPM. It didnt work, that was a mistake on my part. The DPM didn’t take but the image still worked perfectly. Beats me why.

This worked for me, I hope it works for someone else. If you have any questions about how I did this, just ask. I’m confused myself as to how it worked, I was just trying anything to make it happen.

Maybe this doesn’t work with other games, but I would appreciate some input. Any ideas on why this worked?
[/B]

There is a rare but known bug in the securom protection that enables an occasional fluke copy to be made with methods that shouldn’t work.

If you look at the equivalent thread on the CloneCD forum you’ll see posts of the odd fluke copy just using CloneCD without any twinpeak patching. That shouldn’t have worked either but one member even fluked good copies of two separate games without using any special methods at all.

You got lucky with your copy and he got very very lucky. Unfortunately though, the bug is rare and neither his method nor yours has any general application.

I just began to make a copy of Moo3 using this method. All things seem good until I get up to the twinpeaks thingy on disk one. When I select the two files and it tells me that it is inserting the following twinsectors, there are none.

It still managed to make a patched fileset. I didn’t think twice about it until after I did disc two, and it gave me a whole bunch of them.

Am I right in guessing that this means disc one simply isn’t protected? That it isn’t needed to play the game, that I can just do a simple burn of it and use it to install the game…?

TIA

nemir

Contrary to what it says in the manual, disc 2 of MOO3 is the play disc not disc 1. Disc 1 is the install disc and is unprotected.

You will need to use twinpeak patching of disc 2 however if you want to play the game from a copy as disc 2 is securom 4.8x protected.

But I get a problem.

It seems that the burn went quite well, gave no errors, the graph of the BWA file I created was very smooth…

When I try to run the game with the play disc in, the mouse icon changes to a CD symbol, and the CD seeks and seeks and seeks…

I Am in the process of re-doing the imaging from scratch, is there anything else that I could do or that I might be missing?

Thanks

nemir

Are you attempting to play from a writer rather than an ordinary cd/dvd rom? If so, you’ll need to have Ignore media type enabled before you do.

(OK, sorry for being such a newb with the CD back-up copying)

philamber- excellent job with the guide. used it and first time, and was successful with the backup of Black Hawk Down

My quesiton is, could I use your guide EXACTLY the same way for other games, or would I have to change the Datatype (SecureRom etc) everytime?

Thanks.

Glad it worked for you Masshole.

The guide is intended for copying securom 4.8x protected games only (about 40-50% of all recent releases).

Other settings and methods (generally much simpler methods) must be used for games using different copy protections.

Originally posted by philamber
[B]Glad it worked for you Masshole.

The guide is intended for copying securom 4.8x protected games only (about 40-50% of all recent releases).

Other settings and methods (generally much simpler methods) must be used for games using different copy protections. [/B]

Thanks for the reply. Im sure I can find other guides on this site, if I have other questions about “older” CD copying.

Take care. :slight_smile:

Love your post. The reason I got Alcohol was to copy my copy protected cds so I don’t ruin what I already own by scratching. (I do my best, but when my 1 year old gets ahold of some of daddy’s shiny discs, all bets are off!)…

But those links you posted don’t work so I can’t download anything.

Where can I obtain those files?

Thanks.

Try from this thread.

[Second link in original post has now been updated and is working. Btw, it’s a sticky in the frightening Optical Storage Technical Discussions forum but no criticism of ordinary members if you didn’t spot it there. :wink: That forum scares me too. :o :stuck_out_tongue: ]