Alcohol vs. CloneCD

:rolleyes:
Hello everyone!!!
I don’t come here as much as I should and perhaps that is why my question may seem lame, for that I applogize.
I’ve been using CloneCD for a few years and I have been very satisfied with it. I’m currently using 4x. Why would I want to switch? What are the advantages of of using switching to Alcohol 120%, if any?
Thank you to those that take time to respond,

Jeff in LA.,CA. USA.

I can tell you better: ther will not be any disadvantage if you start using Alcohol. Alcohol is currently the top cloning tool. CloneCD only now starts supporting features that Alcohol support ages ago :slight_smile: I already forgot CloneCD, it was good as long it lasted. I and most users are very happy with Alcohol.

[QUOTE]vio_man I can tell you better: ther will not be any disadvantage if you start using Alcohol. Alcohol is currently the top cloning tool. CloneCD only now starts supporting features that Alcohol support ages ago I already forgot CloneCD, it was good as long it lasted. I and most users are very happy with Alcohol.

And lets be honest alcohol has not been around for ages unless you count the time the developers worked on fantom cd. and lets not leave out the fact that you are biased because if I am not mistaken you translate for alcohol so of course you are going to be onsided.

CDFREAKS is a good forum with a lot of info, read thru older posts and download the trials, see which one best fits your needs.

O and one other thing as far as alcohol goes I believe it still lacks pre-mastering.

Originally posted by kamikazee
[B][QUOTE]vio_man I can tell you better: ther will not be any disadvantage if you start using Alcohol. Alcohol is currently the top cloning tool. CloneCD only now starts supporting features that Alcohol support ages ago I already forgot CloneCD, it was good as long it lasted. I and most users are very happy with Alcohol.

And lets be honest alcohol has not been around for ages unless you count the time the developers worked on fantom cd. and lets not leave out the fact that you are biased because if I am not mistaken you translate for alcohol so of course you are going to be onsided.

CDFREAKS is a good forum with a lot of info, read thru older posts and download the trials, see which one best fits your needs.

O and one other thing as far as alcohol goes I believe it still lacks pre-mastering. [/B]

Alcohol exists almost an year ago. Yes, I’m an Alcohol translator. What’s the problem? It’s a crime? I don’t think so. I’m not an employee, I’m just a guy who translates the program for FREE, I’m not getting any money.

Alcohols does not have a pre-mastering feature, neither does CloneCD, and it’s on the market for years.

first off lets not lead people astray the first preview was released in august of this year, about four months ago, not even close to a year, so now that that is cleared up, as stated of course you don’t work for them but you do, do work for them. I was just pointing out the obvious and that there are other choices and in my opinion better choices, and at this point in time I believe alcohol is to dependant on DAEMON tools, and this is not a knock on DAEMON tools because it too serves it’s purpose. Everyone has there own opinion on the best software that suits their purpose, and as I stated above read through these forums and see which best fits your’s, because Alcohol is not the answer to all burning problems. And at this point neither is clone.

Is it a crime to recommend that people read through these forums
and come to there own conclusion, that was my recommendation and no slight on you.

@vio_man

you may recall that I PM’d you and thanked you for your earlier contributions to the forum. I also said that I’d read every one of your posts. Since you have become an Alcohol devotee, you seem to have lost some objectiveness; many of your posts are as unhelpful as “just use Alcohol!” which is not the point of the site nor the answer that most people are looking for.

Consider your posts more carefully so that there is no chance of being misunderstood.

Originally posted by kamikazee
[B]…Alcohol is not the answer to all burning problems. And at this point neither is clone.

Is it a crime to recommend that people read through these forums
and come to there own conclusion…[/B]
kamikazee has a valid point. neither of these programs are the answer to all burning problems currently, no one program is.

at this point it has become a game of one-upmanship between clone and alcohol. one will gain a feature and the other will soon match it and up the ante. this can only be good for the burning community. there is also a lot to be done at this time as far as beating some of the current protections and this competition drives that process. and we are all the winners because we get better software no matter which one we prefer.

vio_man is a translator for alcohol but there are several who translate for both clone and alcohol, along with other software. no harm done here. the same applies to beta testers. :wink:

i would recommend that glazenuts not only read through these forums for a conclusion but to make sure he downloads and tests the latest trial versions of each of these software packages. that is the best way to tell which you prefer.

btw, i DO work for alcohol. :cool:

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]@vio_man

you may recall that I PM’d you and thanked you for your earlier contributions to the forum. I also said that I’d read every one of your posts. Since you have become an Alcohol devotee, you seem to have lost some objectiveness; many of your posts are as unhelpful as “just use Alcohol!” which is not the point of the site nor the answer that most people are looking for.

Consider your posts more carefully so that there is no chance of being misunderstood. [/B]

When I say just use Alcohol, I’m just saying to trial it. As there is a trial version, anybody can use it for free for a 30 days period.
This thread is about Alcohol VS CloneCD, not any objective question. From my experience, I would tell anyone that Alcohol is far more advanced that CloneCD on many points, but that’s just my opinion.

I think both are fine products.
A few things depend upon your own hardware (CDRW drive) and your own common sense.

As far as the question goes, I don’t think there is a major advantage of switching for you right now. As you say, your are satisfied with your Clone CD v4.x so why change now?
Until you run into a problem and you can’t find a satisfactory solution to your problem with you software, no need to switch to another.

That being said, most of us (I recognize some old members from other forum *heads up netman) use more than 1 software for these types of needs.
BlindWrite, CloneCD, Alcohol, etc… are all good choices and the list goes on.

Hope that helps ya better.
Good luck

I don’t have a lot of experience with Alcohol or Clone Cd, but yesterday I was trying to copy a disk that was not copy protected but had an error on it. Nero reported the error and shut down immediately, Alcohol reported the error and kept trying to copy for several minutes and finally shut down, Clone Cd kept trying for several minutes and finally produced a workable copy. I have only tried one copy protected cd–Flight Sim 2002-- and both Alcohol and Clone Cd performed very well. Nero would not copy it.
I was using a Liteon 5224S.

bluestreak

O.K.,

no flamewar :wink: is needed about that question.

I just see all that programs (CloneCD, FanthomCD, BlindWrite and Alcohol) … are trying to solve all the same needed task: make a standalone running backup copy of our copy protected CDs.

Does anybody remember the ‘good old times’, where CDRwin was the ultimate solution for all problems … later CloneCD was (with the right writer).

Nowerdays things are more complicated. There is no programm realy satisfiying us (or just me?). And if, one can be sure it is not anymore after next revision of one of that hardly to beat copy protections(). This guys() do (sorry to say) a good job … even if I’m sure, there will be allways a workaround for their protections … if we will be able to copy … we will see. This depends mainly from the people on the other site … the copy program developers (and the support of Writer Manufectors).

It is good to see, that there is more than one team fighting, this makes chance for success higher …

NixDa

…don´t know if this is relevant or not,but I recently dl alcohol and tried it out and it´s soooooooooo easy to use!!I´ve used Clone for a couple of years in different shapes (2-3-4),but I do like this booze progr.To be true I haven´t streched it yet (securom 4,SD 2.8xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and so on) but :bigsmile:

Originally posted by kamikazee
and at this point in time I believe alcohol is to dependant on DAEMON tools, and this is not a knock on DAEMON tools because it too serves it’s purpose.
Can you please explain what you mean here?