ALCOHOL and SAFEDISK 2.8 pregap data!

vbimport

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
No CloneCD simply cannot read and write pre-gap information. BUT when you use emulation then you can use Hide CDR Media to prevent a drive from reading pre-gap information (yes Hide CDR Media can do much more than just hide media). As I understand it Alcohol also doesn’t read pre-gap information (since a lot of drives don’t support this) and simply knows what’s in there and adds this while writing the image but please note that I could be wrong here since I don’t use Alcohol.

Do you know why ALCOHOL 120% can copy Safedisk 2.8 with every burner (my copies of SIMCITY 4 and SPLINTER CELL work even with my old Plx 24x and “bypass EFM” option enabled)?
What about this pregap data that ALCOHOL “knows” and writes correctly?

It’s easy: alcohol reads and writes the pre-gap data (data before the sector 1, I’m right?), Clone can’t do this
sD 2.80 checks if there is the pre-gap or not. so clone can’t copy SD2.80 and alcohol can

Non così facile!
Not so easy! Alcohol doesn’t support pregap data reading but can add it during the burning process!
I downloaded a CLONE CD image of SPLINTER CELL (it was a Sd 2.80 made with CLONE CD so it was imperfect because didn’t have any pregap data) and burned first with CLONE CD and then with ALCOHOL (Alcohol supports .ccd format)!
The copy made with CLONE CD doesn’t work while the one burned with ALCOHOL starts from every reader i tried:

Toshiba DVD ROM SD 1612
Toshiba DVD ROM SD 1716
Pioneer DVD ROM A06S
Plextor 24/10/40
Liteon 52x/24x/52x

“Download image” this ist against rules :cop: . Read them before you something post

Originally posted by luciano
It’s easy: alcohol reads and writes the pre-gap data (data before the sector 1, I’m right?)

No it doesn’t. Alcohol emulates the pre-gap in the writing process.

Only discjuggler actually reads and writes the pre-gap.

Send me a PM if you want further info/explanation.

first times was this.
But i think now Alcohol reads it, or I’m wrong (i’ll check it)?

Only discjuggler actually reads and writes the pre-gap.

So if Alcohol (or CloneCD) would support the DiscJuggler format we could read with DiscJuggler (includes reading the pregap) and write with Alcohol/CloneCD (including the pregap) to make a real 1:1 copy, right?

Originally posted by philamber

No it doesn’t. Alcohol emulates the pre-gap in the writing process.

How Alcohol emulates it???

Originally posted by Venturer
[B]

How Alcohol emulates it??? [/B]

I believe it already knows what should be there, and just goes ahead and writes it.

Since I found out about the pre-gap, Disc Juggler for SafeDisc X.

Works fine with my LiteOn 52246S and LiteOn 16X DVD.

Battle Field 1942, works with no patch (SD 2.6), works perfectly with latest patch 1.3 (updates protection ot SD 2.8).

Originally posted by Venturer
[B]

How Alcohol emulates it??? [/B]

alcohol does not emulate…
alcohol team know that safedisc 2.80 check only if there is a pre-gap, not what does the pre-gap contain…
so alcohol adds a standard pre-gap, always the same (i think) with bytes 0 (empty)

Check out this thread.

Heres a couple of quotes from it:

CloneCD will not emulate any part of the backup unless you tick Emulate or AWS (AWS is not emulation per se but neither are the original sectors written, this is true for all AWS capable buring apps). If you tick “Ignore” it will not attempt to emulate the pre-gap for example; so, like DiscJuggler, CloneCD + two-sheep burner simply will or will not produce a backup. Alcohol, on the other hand will add emulated sectors whether you ask for it or not.

The fact that CloneCD appears to produce a less number of working backups (using Ignore) can be placed at the feet of emulation. If CloneCD emulated the pre-gap it would be as successful as, say, Alcohol across the board.

Check out this thread.

Heres a couple of quotes from it:

CloneCD will not emulate any part of the backup unless you tick Emulate or AWS (AWS is not emulation per se but neither are the original sectors written, this is true for all AWS capable buring apps). If you tick “Ignore” it will not attempt to emulate the pre-gap for example; so, like DiscJuggler, CloneCD + two-sheep burner simply will or will not produce a backup. Alcohol, on the other hand will add emulated sectors whether you ask for it or not.

The fact that CloneCD appears to produce a less number of working backups (using Ignore) can be placed at the feet of emulation. If CloneCD emulated the pre-gap it would be as successful as, say, Alcohol across the board.