Alcohol 195.3823

vbimport

It seems Alcohol software is upset with unauthorised users using their program and have taken some new steps to stop it. They also added a toolbar. I thought i would head over to Alcohol and see what exactly they would be installing on my computer with this new version(if i chose to use it at all). Well it seems the Forums/support are only available to registerd users and as i only have an expired trial version i cant access it. I personally have never used their forums but i thought i would like to read their interpretation of all this toolbar stuff. Why cant they just open 1 thread on this topic, as im sure they know it will be highly controversial and people will want to know before installing. That kinda makes me suspicious.
I thought I’ll head here to cd freaks and read some independant comment but after some debate between Alcohol honchos and digruntled users, the thread is locked. Now im really suspicious. Why would CD Freaks want to gag discussion on this topic, knowing how controversial it is?
I read the toolbar is optional but what is this other thing that blocks debugging apps? I just dont like it. Its the bane of the computer user, being invaded ,harrassed ,spied on ,ad-fed, blackmailed, its a bad decision Alcohol.
At least be open and honest about what your doing.
I think software companies have a right to protect their software, but this is the wrong way to go about it.
Its kinda funny that a company, who made a product to break copy protections and enable piracy, are making an issue of it.

:rolleyes: :bigsmile:

You might have missed the other thread that was closed in which this was already “discussed”. I was also in doubt about the toolbar but Jito463 explained how it actually works.

So if you find it useful go ahead and install it, if not, uncheck it when installing.

A FAQ regarding the toolbar would be a good idea to stop the confusion but I won’t continue with commenting any further.

But as I see that your trial is already expired you should decide to buy or leave it. :cop:
This would make your concerns to the toolbar become obsolete, because there is no toolbar in the retail package which you will get when actually buying a license.

Alcohol has been honest about the toolbar, it is simply in the trial version to allow users of the trial version to obtain support. It contains [B]NO[/B] spyware, malware nor adware, it is simply there to limit / help reduce the support given to illegal versions of the software. There has been nothing secretive about it and its install is even optional.

In the past we have spent a lot of time helping users only to find out that they’re using illegal versions of Alcohol, hence the removal of the open forums. The support is still there, just not for illegal versions.

If you want to see what’s in the new version, have a look here: http://support.alcohol-soft.com/en/changelog.php

I am sorry for interupting, please let me drop some words.

Actually there are two forums: Customers and Trail Users. The Trail Users forum is open, please visit it at:
http://tforum.alcohol-soft.com
Just that you can only view topics but can not post.

To post messages in the Trail Users forum, you need to register there as a member. It is not necessary to be a current trial/retail version user to register, however the tool bar has to be installed in order to log in from it and post messages. I have personally registered there without being a trial version user. You could check my messages there as a proof.

This is just my experiment to share with you, there is no aim to introduce an arguement.:wink:

Oh no not another thread about this.

For previous tread that has been closed (strangely)

You are totally right, but the first impression is already given at your site: http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/
You say to me now: Read at the 3th party site that we install the toolbar. Why over there? Are you not proud enough to show it on your own site? And don’t come to me with: “You can deselect the option” I trusted your software and hitted: next next next. Seems I have to revise that.
Makes we wonder why windows 98,ME,2000 users don’t get a toolbar? (haven’t tried it, don’t get fooled again) http://www.free-downloads.net/programs/Alcohol_120__(Windows_98___ME_only)

I was that user MaLing was refering to. Always nice to have a person who knows the small letters, so I read the agreement again, just for you dear MaLing.

Note this beautifull line:

The license to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT ends at the 31st of December, 2050.

hehe, ok ok, I have to read the rest too, so I read the rest:

This End-User License Agreement is a legal agreement between you
(either an individual or a single entity) and Alcohol Soft

GRANT OF LICENSE. This LICENSE AGREEMENT grants you the following rights:
You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT,
or any prior version for the same operating system, on a single computer.

-So This gives me a licence for use, cool, I read on…

If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is labeled as an upgrade, you must be properly licensed to use a product identified by Alcohol Soft as being eligible for the upgrade in order to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

• Lets see how the agreement defines an “upgrade”?

A SOFTWARE PRODUCT labeled as an upgrade replaces and/or supplements the product that formed the basis for your eligibility for the upgrade. You may use the resulting upgraded product only in accordance with the terms of this LICENSE AGREEMENT.

Now lets read in reverse:
I have an “upgrade”(trial, installed twice, app 2 year period), that means I need a proper licence, which I recieved in the beginning.

What you say is that I cannot try the software again whenever I’m interested?
This is something interesting.
Once upon a time: you had a potentional customers who tried it out once and kindly declineded. Now the customer would like to try again. Too bad. It would be illegal now.

Nice way of getting interested customers.
Now please enlighten me again dear Maling…(but keep it simple, as quoted by Malin, I’m a user who has no consciousness of legality (and buying products)).

As I stated befor:
Alcohol provides excellent burning software. Be proud at that.
A proud company can also accept comments, and looks for a sollution.

Well, I have not the trial agreement with me, because I do not bother with it. :slight_smile: Therefore I am just discussing this basing on what you have extracted.

From what I understand, the agreement does offer you the rights to upgrade, but the 30 days limit still applies. When I first used the trail version, it was 1.9.5.2722. After two days, I upgraded to 1.9.5.2802, but the length allowed for me was still 30 days, i.e. I could use 1.9.5.2802 for only 28 days.

i have the same ploblem…

Anything new on the mixed up alphabetical order of the virtual and physical drives? Will an update that fixes this be released?

News of upcoming releases are posted in Alcohol’s Customer forum. Send an email to support_team@alcohol-soft.com or info@alcohol-soft.com with the following to get access.

1. Alcohol Account Email Address.
  2. Desired Forum Username.
  3. Password (which you can later change)