Alcohol 120% -> DVD copy...?

not sure what to do with the following problem

i want to back-up a 2.5Gb video file wich is on a DVD+R
currently i only have one DVD player in my system (its a DVD writer) so i need to copy the files to HD first before i can burn them.

So i choose Image Making wizzard and selecting all the needed options. alcohol starts to read the DVD+R and a few minutes later its says it has finished reading succesfully.
when i look at the generated file its a 4.4GB .MDS file :eek:
how did alcohol made a 4.4Gb file out of an 2.5Gb DVD+R :confused:
the real problem comes when i want to burn the file back to a DVD+R. It start scanning the drive and comes with an error that the file doesnt fit on the inserted DVD+R media :eek: :confused:

did i miss something here or is alcohol 120% simply not designed to back-up a DVD this way?

Hi, dont know if you have had an answer to your problem, but I have had very similar problems using alcohol which i only resolved by using Record Now.

Has anyone got any idea why this is happening??

thanks.

You could just use DVDDecrypter to copy the DVD with this guide:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm

That occurred because the MDF/MDS format is a RAW format and therefore the images will have an increased size. Try using ISO and you will not have that issue, because ISO doesn’t supports RAW data.

Hi, sorry, it wasn’t a DVD film which I had the trouble with, but a DVD based PS2 game.

As I and the previous gent said, Alcohol made the file too big to put onto the blank DVD.
Very strange and I have no idea why or how:confused: :confused:

The image may appear to be too big to fit into a DVD recordable media, but don’t worry it will fit as long as the source DVD is not DVD-9 type.

Edit: typo

Originally posted by Lvsitano
don’t worry it will fit as long as the source DVD is DVD-9 type.

Erm, DVD-9 wont fit on a DVD-R, but DVD-5 will. A PS2 game on DVD-9 would need to have the video clips removed from it to have any chance of fitting an a DVD-R. (Well that is before Dual Layer DVD±R arrives).

BTW how do you insert the symbol that combines both the + and - symbols.

I understand what you are saying but Record Now 4.5 copied a copy, and Alchohol would not.
What I am saying is that if the game was already on a blank DVD then the game should be able to copy to another.

I think the original game was copied using Alchohol or Record now 4.5.

Hope this makes things clearer!

I’m sorry, but I was wrong. Alcohol can’t currently save a DVD disc contents to an ISO image, it only supports the Alcohol’s native format. Even being an Alcohol Soft translator I can’t know all the details :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Lvsitano
I’m sorry, but I was wrong. Alcohol can’t currently save a DVD disco contents to an ISO image, it only supports the Alcohol’s native format. Even being an Alcohol Soft translator I can’t know all the details :bigsmile:

You mean .mds/.mdf?

You mean .mds/.mdf?

Yes, that’s the Alcohol’s native format.

Thanks. Was just making sure I was right!:bigsmile: