AIFF file on PC: How to burn CDA?

vbimport

A friend of mine who is a Mac user, transferred a couple of my scratchy old 45s to AIFF files.

Now I’d like to burn them to a CD.

I keep all of my CD quality music files in FLAC format.

Should I convert this AIFF file to FLAC format before burning it to a CD?

If so, I’d be grateful if someone could suggest a free program that can do that job.

I already have an older version of Audacity that runs under Win 2K. And I also have an older version of Exact Audio Copy. Could I use one or the other of those programs to burn the AIFF files directly to a CD?

You can us Audacity to import the aiff files and then export as wav, not sure about flac, then burn the wav files to CD. Aiff is also a lossless format so unless storage space is an issue I would leave them as is or just keep the wav files. For burning to CD, if you don’t have a burning app, just use something like Burrrn, http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4, to burn the wav’s to CD.

I use Audacity to convert a FLAC file I had handy to .aiff.
I then used Format Factory to convert the .aiff back to FLAC.
Then I converted the .aiff to .wav with Format Factory .
The starting FLAC file was :

The starting FLAC file was : 17,132 KB
converted to .aiff : 28,551 KB
.aiff back to FLAC : 17,226 KB
.aiff to .wav: 28,551 KB
The .aiff converted with Audacity from a FLAC file stayed the same size when converted to .wav with Format Factory.
I also converted the .aiff to .wav with Audacity.It also remained the 28,551 KB.
So if you are going to burn an Audio CD I would use Audacity to convert the .AIFF to .WAV .
Then burn those.You could still store the files as FLAC.But if the results are the same as mine the conversion to .wav should be better quality.

[QUOTE=cholla;2468204]I use Audacity to convert a FLAC file I had handy to .aiff.
I then used Format Factory to convert the .aiff back to FLAC.
Then I converted the .aiff to .wav with Format Factory .
The starting FLAC file was :[/QUOTE]

This a good to know. I’ve only ever used Audacity for aiff to wav conversion (my brother is a Mac fanatic and sends me some music from time to time in aiff format) and never thought of using FF. Thanks for doing your experiements. Since the OP stated they had Audacity, that is the first program I thought of recommending. Thanks again for the information. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Whappo;2468185]For burning to CD, if you don’t have a burning app, just use something like Burrrn, http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4, to burn the wav’s to CD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Whappo!

I just downloaded Burrrn and started to install it.

Right off the bat it asked me if I wanted to “Associate .cue files.”

I haven’t a clue what that means.

Should I install that component?

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2468249]Thanks, Whappo!

I just downloaded Burrrn and started to install it.

Right off the bat it asked me if I wanted to “Associate .cue files.”

I haven’t a clue what that means.

Should I install that component?[/QUOTE]

It’s not a component, just an association. Since you say you don’t know what a cue file is you probably don’t have any other app using the association so just go ahead and select “Yes”. Cue/bin is an image of a music CD instead of individual tracks, some burning programs support cue/bin, others don’t.

I also tried an .aiff in Burrrn & it wouldn’t load it.
ImgBurn was able to put the .aiff in a cue.Then burn the .cue to a CD-RW in write mode.
The result was a .cda on the CD-RW.This played on my computer.
My CD player won’t play RW’s.I didn’t want to waste a disc to see if a CD-R burned with ImgBurn this way would play in my CD player.I think it would though.

[QUOTE=cholla;2468279]I also tried an .aiff in Burrrn & it wouldn’t load it.
ImgBurn was able to put the .aiff in a cue.Then burn the .cue to a CD-RW in write mode.
The result was a .cda on the CD-RW.This played on my computer.
My CD player won’t play RW’s.I didn’t want to waste a disc to see if a CD-R burned with ImgBurn this way would play in my CD player.I think it would though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the updated Imgburn information. That will save a conversion.

[QUOTE=cholla;2468279]I also tried an .aiff in Burrrn & it wouldn’t load it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks cholla, for telling us the result with .aiff + Burrrn - as I was going to recommend Burrrn myself, but had doubts since the Burrrn page says nothing about .aiff files. :slight_smile:

FYI, CDBurnerXP works with .aiff files directly…Just another alternative…:slight_smile:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/Audio/formats

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2468378]FYI, CDBurnerXP works with .aiff files directly…Just another alternative…:slight_smile:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/Audio/formats[/QUOTE]

More good information. Thanks t0nee1. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Your welcome ,Arachne & Whappo . .aiff is not in the Burrrn Supported files from its’ ADD. It doesn’t have an All Files option.