AGP vs. PCI Express?

debro, Nice summary. Obviouslly we know the beter format. The only chink in the equation is exsisting equipment that you own. If you want highest performance, I don’t think thier is any argument in the way to go. If you have spent a lot in the past on an agp card, you have to ballance the worth of that card against a motherboards and a new card, and whatever your particular situation is. I think it is a given which format is beter.
Who in the hell would buy an agp motherboard? Someone with an agp vid card that is still worth tripple the cost of the motherboard, or someone stupid maybee.

Explanation is as follows:

If you don’t want to upgrade the most important part of your hardware (for gaming)… don’t upgrade :wink: Wait til the performance is no longer acceptable, aka 6 months ( :wink: ) and then upgrade when the prices of all the PCIE video cards & Mobos have dropped in price :wink:

I actually agree with everything you just said (defanatlly including you qualifications and time frames). I’m good leving your words as the final and accurate words.

I disagree. I’ve done personal Benchmarks using AGP and PCIe, all with the same conclusion - PCIe is way better bang for buck.

I must ask, with what video card is it the best bang for the buck (right now anyway)? Fyi, not disagreeing, just questioning??? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

PCIE is the winner on all accounts :wink:

Ebay your old AGP vid card :wink:

off-topicis anyone else getting Deja Vu??end off-topic

Remembering I am in Australia, for a basic nOOb system the Leadtek PX 6600LE 256Mb is my SOE card. They can be sourced for around $140 AUD. I used to build AGP SOE systems and would use an Abit or Gecube Radeon 9600XT 256Mb - same cost. Benchmarked the leadtek had 3000 points on the Radeon in 3D 01. In 3D 03 it had 1100 points. Gameplay was much better on the Leadtek. Same cost - Way better Performance = Happier Customers.:slight_smile:

The 6600 does seem to bee a pretty good value. Of course the 9600’s seem to be about 2/3-3/4 the price here. You can get a 9800se for about the same price (Don’t know who would buy an se unless it can be bios modded up, not sure off the top of my head), or a 9800 pro for about 10-20$ more. Eihter seems like a good value price point to me.

I was kind of implying, whats the beter value between agp and pci16 (I know I didn’t make that clear last might, too many shots of vodka, lol). Just my opinion, for a new system, its a no brainer, pci 16. Lets say you already have a 200$ motherboard, something really nice, that is agp, and are looking at a 100$ card (thats about what 6600/9600/9800’s are on newegg). I might consider an agp card instead of a a 100$ pci16 card and a 200$ pci 16 motherboard to match what I already have. I know that I have to take into acount that it will limit my upgradability, but for now I’m not going to loose performance on that 100$ agp card, and down the road when I upgrade to a new class of processor and need a new motherboard, another 100$ vid card might turn out to be beter than having spen 200$ on that pci 16 motherboard that may or may not work with the new class of processor that I am now upgrading to.
I’m not saying agp is beter, I know it is not. I’m just saying that the 100$ agp card will not limit my performance now. Lets say I had a 50-100$ motherboard. It mike make more sence to go pic 16 now and get a new motherboard, especially if for instance, if I’m getting a 150$ vid card or even a 200$ vid card, rather that a 100$ one.
Going back to the original poster, building a new system (I assume that means new motherboard anyway), a radion 9500 (not sure what that is worth but I’m guessing under 100$), it very well might be the best choice to go pci 16 and get a new vide card under those circumstances (but under other circumstances, it might be best to stick with pci 16).
Did that make any sense?

ummm… ok… kinda lost me there… i think you are saying, if i am getting my new system with a $50 mobo then go with a more expensive video card, but if im gettting a $150+ mobo then i could possibly stick with my radeon 9500? well, the motherboard im getting is the asrock dual sata2 mobo… its got an agp AND PCIe slot… id LIKE to get a new pciE card, i just dont know which one to go with for under $200… ive been hearing this and that about ati vs nvidia… im just not sure which one to go with… or which maker brand to go with… ive seen like 3 different x800 cards from different makers, and different 6600/6800 cards from different makers as well… i just dont know which to go with… thanks for all the help…

Since your MB (the one you want to buy) support both agp and pci 16 thier really is no issue between the two. I was thinking that you had to chose between getting a agp mother board so you could use your current vid card, and getting a pci 16 motherboard and being forced to get a pci 16 card now. Since your motherboard supports both (that was a pretty smart way to build it for flexability), you can just use your current video card for now. If you find that it is too slow, or just feel like upgrading, you can take your time and do some research. No big rush because you can use your current agp card in the mean time till you decide if/what to buy.
On the new card, defanatlly go pci 16. While you will probably not get any speed advantage going with pci 16 over agp (with a sub 200$ card anyway), Faster cards (right now just the really expensive ones) can take advantage of pci 16 over agp. As card keep getting faster and prices drop, agp will eventually die out. The advantage of getting a pci 16 card if you buy one is that in a few years, everything will liklly be using pci 16 and your card will be compatible.
The only reason to buy an agp motherboard would be if you had a very expensive agp card that you didn’t want to replace. The only reason to buy an agp video card would be if you had a very expensive motherboard that you didn’t want to replace. Since you already plan on getting a motherboard that supports both, defanatlly buy a card that is pci 16 (if you buy one) as it will have the best future compatibility.
Fyi the 6600 is a pretty good value for the money. Personally I prefer ati (not saying nvidia is bad, just personal prefrence). I think I would get a 9800 (or maybe something higher depending on what you want to spend).

@pollushon, Are you saying that with slower cards (100-150$ range) that thier is speed advantage to pci 16? I have been leed to believe that cards in this price range are not fast enough to exceed agp’s capabilities, and therefor thier is no actual performance increase going with pci 16 (thier is the future compatibility advantage to pci 16 though). Are you saying that you have benchmarkd the same exact card, with both pci and agp versions (something slower in the 100-150$ range) and pci 16 performed beter, or are you saying that with higher cards, they can exceed agp’s capabilities and can therefor get beter speed with pci 16? If it is the high speed cards, I was aware of that, if slower cards have a diffrence though, do you have any idea why (that makes me curious what the advantage of pci 16 is besides max speed).

What it comes down to, is if you are building for NOW, then either is possible, but if you are building to take later upgrades, then you either have to bite the bullet and replace a currently adequate AGP card with PCI-E or use one of the limited number of dual AGP/PCI-E motherboards.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524

This is probably the ONLY good motherboard type and chipset, for anyone wishing to retain a usable AGP graphics card, and later upgrade to PCI-E.

The observant will notice that the compromise throws away any chance of using SLI / Crossfire, though it apparently can handle an AGP and a PCI-E both at once, to drive 4 monitors from two dual display cards.

Depends how you feel about SLI, of course - with an SLI motherboard and one mid to high end SLI capable card, you have the possibility to raise graphics performance by adding a second card of the same type, by which time, hopefully, it’s cheaper

Someone corect me if I am wrong, but he has already decide to get that dual (agp/pci16) motherboard. That kind of makes the point mute. He can just run his current agp card and if it is not fast enough or he just wants to upgrade, he can take his time researching and deciding what he wants, and just run his agp card in the mean time. He doesn’t have to make the decision now before he builds the system weather to go agp or pci 16 as he has decided to go with both (motherboard wise that is).

ripit;
SLI requires not 1, but 2 PCIe x8/x16 ports

Here’s info about ATi’s answer to nVidia’s ‘SLI’ - I give you ATi ‘CrossFire’ (or Xfire)
http://anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2432
and more;
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2477

Yea I am farmiliar with sli, I have build a couple of sli systems for people (though only with on card present).

generally performence AGP vs PCI-E … are almost same … whit same grafic cards! PCI-E is about o,5-2%!! better, there’s no diffrence …

it’s something like change from AGP 4x to x8 …

http://tomshardware.pl/graphic/20040310/images/image005.gif
http://tomshardware.pl/graphic/20040310/images/image006.gif

same is whit AGP x8 and PCI x 16

till the diffrence will be watchable we got much time …

ofkorz SLI/crossfire is better … bah 2 grafic cards but AGP vs PCI-E 1 vs 1 … there is an tie :stuck_out_tongue: