AGP Cards

vbimport

Hi there, just wanted some advice about graphics cards.

I have a GeForce 2 100/200 MX card 64mb DDR (OEM) and was looking to upgrade to the GeForce 2 400MX 32mb.

Is there any real benefit in this upgrade or should I stay put?

Thanks in advance!!

chrome :confused:

Upping from a GF2/200MX to a /400MX is a waste of time. Yeah, the 400 is faster, but not by a whole bunch. If you’re going to spend money on an upgrade, as a minimum get a GF2/GTS or /PRO. You can find them at good prices on Pricewatch.com. Better yet, spend a little extra and upgrade to a GF4.

I’m running a 400MX now and am going to get a GF4/4200Ti as soon as they’re readily available. The GF4 will run circles around any GF2.

Tremo has just about said it here… it’s a waste of cash and time doing that upgrade try for a GF3 or GF4. If you go for a GF4 try to get it in the TI versions not the MX. Give that the MX will be cheaper but the GF3 cards are much better then the GF4MX

Thanks for the advice, will try looking around at GeForce3 cards GTS and Pro.

Is there anyway I can find out who made my AGP card? I bought it OEM with a bundled drivers disc. I have previously downloaded new drivers from Nvidia, but the latest drivers just do not give me a display on my monitor. Just like when your monitor can’t handle the resolution!!! Using an AOC 17"monitor with drivers.

Finally I can’t find mention of my card on the Nvidia site at all, they have the 200MX but not the 100/200 MX, weird.

Thanks again guys!!

chrome :slight_smile:

Chrome307>>> I think that you will find that GF3 cards only come in 3 different types. They are the TI200, Standand, TI500. That is in order from slowest to fastest. I think that you will find that the card you have now is a GF2 MX200. I don’t think that they ever made a GF2 MX100 at all but I haven’t seen one at all so I could be wrong. It should say same place on the drivers CD who made it. Other then that I’m not all that sure if there is a way to find out.

An upgrade to a GeForce 4 440MX is worth considering; I’ve just done this and graphics on a Celeron 1GHz (Shuttle MoBo) is pretty darn good

Futureproof>>>> How good are the GF4 MX440? I’m thinking of getting one for my 1Ghz Duron.

Originally posted by GhostBear
Futureproof>>>> How good are the GF4 MX440? I’m thinking of getting one for my 1Ghz Duron.
Pretty darn good! Ghost Recon is up around 70fps on the Cel 1 GHz; it would look even cooler on a Duron :wink:

This was an upgrade from a TNT2 M64 and could be described as spectacular.

A GF2 MX400 is also a decent upgrade from an M64 which I’ve also done on a PIII 933. But fps in the GF4 MX440 are noticeably better. An Athlon 1800+, KR7A and GF4 MX440 is an experience, too!

FutureProof>> Thanks for the info there. :smiley: I have a TNT2 M64 as it is will kinda be glad when it gone. Thinking more of an GF3 then the GF4 MX cards though

DON’t buy a MX card, please! They aren’t worth it (in my opinion.) Definatly go with a g3 standard or ti 500 before you go with g4 MX. I have a grforce 2 Ultra and I pull higher scores than the g4 MX 400.

If you want to know the Exact name of your card, such as who made, get Sandra from www.sisoft.com Great progrma for other stuff too (it’s about 1 MB)

Well, I went by the tests done at the Atomic PC Labs. For bang per buck, the 440MX was the winner :stuck_out_tongue: PCPowerPlay had very similar results.

Wiz486>>> That would be an even better way then the way that I had in mind. The GF4MX cards don’t seem to be all that bad but I do have to agree that a GF3 is more of what I am thinking of getting at the moment

Futureproof>>> Both good place to look for info. Kinda slow of me not to be looking in them reall :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Wiz486
DON’t buy a MX card, please! They aren’t worth it (in my opinion.) Definatly go with a g3 standard or ti 500 before you go with g4 MX. I have a grforce 2 Ultra and I pull higher scores than the g4 MX 400.
Heya - I just got it, graphics cards in the US are not priced the same way here. GF 3s here are hard to find. My 440MX was USD$115 wholesale; double that for the cheapest Ti :wink:

Futureproof>>> You mustn’t be looking in the right places for them then. I’m in the same place as you and I can find quite a few of them. I have also seem GF3Ti200 with 128MB for $308

Originally posted by GhostBear
Futureproof>>> You mustn’t be looking in the right places for them then. I’m in the same place as you and I can find quite a few of them. I have also seen GF3Ti200 with 128MB for $308
…aaahhh…OK, you’re right…but checking results in Atomic lab tests, is this not the card was waxed by the 440MX? :stuck_out_tongue:

PCUser (June issue - just out) has the 440MX as the card of choice :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m also trying to work out why this card works on a Shuttle B-Step MoBo and not on my DFI 815EP board :confused:

Futureproof>>>> I do belive that it may have done that. But I would personally prefer to have the FX engine that is in the GF3 (all) then to not have it at all. If memory serves me right the MX series of the GF4 only has something to do with video. :smiley:

:smiley: I see that you have missed the part where some of the GF4’s don’t seem to want to work with some main boards. I only have seen them play up with Gigabyte boards. Not sure what chipset was used in the boards at all . Just another reason for me to get the GF3 :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: