Aging and older DVD media scans

vbimport

Creation 4x DVD+R (POMSC001 002, made in Greece by OMP S.A.), burned ~7,5 years ago.
initial scan

Verbatim MCC004
First scan July '12. Re-scan May '15.
Age ~2.8yrs
Stored in wallet. Unfortunately the disc surface is slightly scuffed so the degradation seen is not 100% due to the dye aging.

Intenso DVD-R (no speed rating)
MID: MBI

Intenso 4X DVD-R
MID: VDSPMSAB 01

TDK DVD+R (no speed rating)
MID: RICOHJPN R00

:bow:

Princo 4x DVD-R
MID: PRINCO

The disc is heavily scratched so the scan is not entirely Princos fault - but still perfectly readable after more than 12 years. That’s quality :wink:

Kodak Professional Gold DVD-R, burned about 5 years ago.

ARO 8-16x DVD+R (Plasmon2 C01), burned almost 5 years ago.
initial scan

Vanguard 8x DVD-R (fake TYG02), burned more than 7,5 years ago.
initial scan

I don’t have scans handy; but I’ve been noticing lately that older FTI (Falcons) & Verbs have deteriorated at a much faster rate then TY’s.

I’ve had to do surgery on a couple, & some are just moderately deteriorated. No scratches.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2758402]I don’t have scans handy; but I’ve been noticing lately that older FTI (Falcons) & Verbs have deteriorated at a much faster rate then TY’s.

I’ve had to do surgery on a couple, & some are just moderately deteriorated. No scratches.[/QUOTE]

How bad is the deterioration on those discs? Just a increase in errors or does it affect readability?

I’ve thrown away lots and lots of discs recently that were 8-10 years old and I’m surprised how well everything has hold up. Lots of fake MCC, real MCC, Optodisc, CMC, TDK - most of the discs I tested still produced perfect TRTs.

Benq 16x DVD+R (DAXON AZ3, MIT), burned about 7 years ago.

www.nc-webshop.de 4x DVD+R (DT-D02 02), burned more than 7 years ago.
initial scan

3A Media 4x DVD+R (POMSC001 002), burned 6,5 years ago.
initial scan

Maxell SQ 16x DVD-R (RITEK F1), burned ~6 years ago.

Lazer 2,4x DVD+R (DDDessau V10), burned more than 7 years ago.
initial scan

[QUOTE=Womi;2758424]How bad is the deterioration on those discs? Just a increase in errors or does it affect readability?

I’ve thrown away lots and lots of discs recently that were 8-10 years old and I’m surprised how well everything has hold up. Lots of fake MCC, real MCC, Optodisc, CMC, TDK - most of the discs I tested still produced perfect TRTs.[/QUOTE]

In most cases a somewhat significant increase in errors. One required surgery (the only thing that could rip it was that great old stand by for deteriorating & damaged discs DVD Decryptor!), & there was 1 FTI that had a dead spot that I couldn’t recover.

My biggest problems have been with CMC store branded cdr’s (Office Depot, Max, Comp USA) becoming totally unreadable by anything.

The first dvd -r’s I bought (10+ years ago?) were around 100 Maxell branded RICOHJPN-R01-002. At about 6 months, the dye on the outer half of the Maxell’s had faded to about 1/2 of it’s original color, & the only player or drive I had that could read them was a $35 Cyberhome (I’d love to find out what transport they used in that machine & put 1 in a pc!)

The Maxell issue is what got me started on the whole quality burning thing.

S.O.W., my last IDE box recently died; & I have several IDE Plextor cd burners. My XP boxes are not easy to open up (you have to take the front panel off first). I need to figure out how to open them, & get some IDE to SATA adapters for the Plex’s; though for music I’m largely getting away from acquiring new discs & going with hi-res files.

So far, I’m staying mostly with disc for video. I have to move soon, & it’s ridiculous how much room a collection the size of mine takes up!

Ricoh JPN R01 DVD+R burned in 2003. Most likely burned in an early Liteon drive at 4x or 8x.

Emtec Gold 4x DVD-R (MPOMEDIA0080), burned about 2,5 years ago.
initial scan

That’s +R 8x written @8x in 2010. Scanned in 2016