Aging and older DVD media scans

Activated in burn software?

I think I made it a permanent setting stored in the drive using Pioneer Drive Utility.

Hm, never used it. So the standard-setting is off?

Yes:

Can try to disable the option and burn another disc from that spindle. I enabled it hoping for the best burn quality :slight_smile:

Hello,

Where can i find that drive utility? I have searched for it but can not find it.

Just wondering where you found this mate

I thought that was the RITEKF1 + RITEKF16 series using Fuji’s oxonal die

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Computer-Drives/DVR-116D#downloads

Several other manufacturers also used Oxonol dye for certain MID codes (MBI, Prodisc, CMC Magnetics).

1 Like

Thank you, i did not see it there.

No chance

Hm, the Mediarange are maybe like MBIR06. The BH16NS55, also with WH16NS58-FW have big problems with MBIR06.

The 16NS40 was one or my best with MBIR06, the BU40N is also good.

And this is the wrong section because we post here only media which was burned some years ago.

Ooops, it was double wrong thread then, because it was BD-R media… I deleted and re-posted it under MBI BD-R thread, trying to follow forum rules :man_facepalming:

We will survive it :wink:

1 Like

Ricoh DVD+R 16x RICOHJPN R03
Burnt in 2008, probably with Pioneer DVR-111 or slim TSST T632

1 Like

Another RICOHJPN R03 16x DVD+R.
Burnt in 2008 probably with Pioneer DVR-111 or slim TSST T632.
See also this thread. I think it is a pretty reliable media.

1 Like

Discs: Taiyo yuden 16x dvd-r 100 shrinkwrap
MID: TYG03
Drive: NEC ND-3550A
Burned February 2007
Scanned 20 April 2020

Everyone use to complain about TYG bonding issues, is this a sample about to die?
Also anyone know what the red PIF markers mean?

I have the same issues on some DVD-R with my ND-3540 (and some other writers, especially DVR-217). In most cases these spikes appears only on scan-drives with MTK-chipset.

1 Like

You said MTK-chipset drives? I have a TEAC CD-W552E (CD-RW), ASUS DRW-1814BL and DRW-1814BLT. Also ASUS CB-5216A (Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM) have MediaTek chipset? I know that ASUS DRW-1814BL had this chipset. It is good, I have it. I post a scan with a Princo DVD burned on my ASUS DRW-1814BL to see if appear spikes on scanning.

Scanning, not burning with MTK-based writers. Only DVD-media should have this issue.

Not sure how it is with writing, but I have this issue mostly on DVD -R and NEC-based writers like my Pioneer DVR-217 and NEC ND-3540. But these writers are completely different drive-generations.

Uhm, looks like my Monarch DVD+R 4x (VDSPMSAB 001) and Lifetec DVD-R 1x (PRINCO) are superior to this media