Age of Chinese woman gymnasts

more news http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/bbdp/too-young-to-compete/133315

The only way to stop some of this, since there is not way to prove a person age is to set height and weight standards as they do in boxing.
I know someone will say it will not be fair to someone who is small, but that is the only way to make it fair.

Actually, there are quite a few ways through skeletal and cartilage development etc. to determine age with fairly good accuracy. I bet people with very good forensic experience and/or medical knowledge could review a full body MRI and tell how old these girls are with decent accuracy. Then add to it a body chemistry analysis and we could estimate their age quite well. If the Chinese have nothing to hide they should offer them up to be checked out.

HARLEY,
The age of the chinese girls they probably don’t consider cheating.
I would worry more about steroid use by their other athletes. In
other words to them the end justifies the means.
Thanks for the info.
ZAP.

They look 16 to me.

Spend any time around chinese people, and 20yr old chinese women turn out to actually be in the late 30’s and early 40’s.
It should probably be noted that the chinese have the same problem the opposite direction. When I was in china, they thought I was 16 … and I was 28 at the time.

The whole problem is not if they are 16 or not even though they have found newspaper articles in China that show them not to be 16. The question should be how do you make sure that all gymnasts are 16 and using a person passport is just stupid.

Can you imagine the US of A issuing passports with falsified birth dates to known 13-year-olds? If submitted to the IOC, they would be “government documents”, beyond question, right? It’s not how old you are, it’s how old your passport says!:o.

false IDs who is to blame? The user the person who made them or the persons who accept them as real?

I wonder whether anybody’s not cheating at all…

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2111669]I wonder whether anybody’s not cheating at all…[/QUOTE]

sure all the counties that never win :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=debro;2111358]They look 16 to me.

Spend any time around chinese people, and 20yr old chinese women turn out to actually be in the late 30’s and early 40’s.
It should probably be noted that the chinese have the same problem the opposite direction. When I was in china, they thought I was 16 … and I was 28 at the time.[/QUOTE]

That was what I felt first of all. Very many South Korean girls in their early 20s look younger than very many Western girls in their teens.

To me, most CDFreaks male members look far younger than me always look older than me.

Whether China lied or not about their young ladies, I’m not sure. I rarely trust a Western news source when it comes to reporting such Chinese issues. Chinese as a nation dishonest? This thread proves one more time.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2115086]Whether China lied or not about their young ladies, I’m not sure. I rarely trust a Western news source when it comes to reporting such Chinese issues. Chinese as a nation dishonest? This thread proves one more time.[/QUOTE]

1. Chinese education System - the teachers live on bribes.
  2. Chinese business -> getting anything done, or keeping up the utilities requires bribing the mafia … err … I meant, sponsoring government officials.
  3. A Chinese gymnast has had a medal stripped from her for being under the mandatory 16yrs of age.

Let’s wait for the report of International Olympic Committee investigation before we make any judgment and acquisition on Chinese.

I’ve pretended otherwise since 2002, but it’s not exactly easy for a very conscious Oriental to survive in a Western-European forum. It was much different at sites like doom9, librivox, etc. though.

Enjoy your bashing. I never really thought I could change too many of you. Just keep in mind that must of what you consider modern is indeed as ancient as some of the ugliest things in the past history of pre-industrial Europe.

It’s always funny how I’m attacked because I was born in Kwangju (and they say anyone from Kwangju is a communist), and then some attack me because I’m anti-nationalist, anti-communist, anti-NK. I’m attacked for being pro-Japanese and pro-American, but I’m also easily alienated for being a Korean or an Oriental or whatever. You know, I have always loved robots more than humans. One good thing is even passports are going digital from this week in South Korea.

@debro

You’ve researched well, but do more. Seemed to me you know close to nothing about China or China’s progress. Learning some Chinese characters should help a little which is a good starting point since much of misunderstanding’s caused from simple mistranslation.

Sorry to everyone anyway. I guess I have to go back to my robot books.

[QUOTE=UTR;2111110]I never thought it was a good idea to have China host the Olympics as they have never impressed me with their honesty and integrity since they turned communist.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

How many defenseless monks have the Chinese beaten or killed in Tibet the past few years? I don’t hate the Chinese people or anyone for that matter. I even understand that the government is trying to manage 1.3 billion people and even cut them some slack for that reason. That being said they may be more capitalist economically but politically they are still a brutal communist regime in many respects. I lot of people have died in China just because they decided to speak their mind. A lot more will in the future if their political structure doesn’t change. The USA, Europe etc. turn their heads the other way to China’s brutality to their own people because they don’t want to upset their own economic apple carts. I’m also not saying the Chinese are as bad as Stalin but they don’t seem to be worried about suffering any consequences from brutally oppressing their own people. If the Chinese government knew venues like the Olympics would be withheld from them then maybe they would be more willing to give their people some political freedoms.

Please save the politics for another thread. Getting swiftly back on topic.

I saw the tail end of the Olymipic gymanstics the other day, and maybe it’s just me, but no matter how hard I looked at them, none of the Chinese gymnasts looked overly young to me?

Arachne! You said you weren’t going to watch!

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2116350]Arachne! You said you weren’t going to watch![/QUOTE]

I know, I know :doh:…I was at my mum’s, and she’s a Eurosport (cable channel) freak!

Mind you, I did enjoy watching what I saw, though :o

I watched as much of the sports as i could and loved every minute of it. Specially, Team GB’s medal haul. :slight_smile:

I’m now looking forward to 2012 when the games will be in our own back yard. If London can make the games as good as the Chinese done this time around, i’ll enjoy every minute of the 2012 games too.