Again on SONY's media

Hi everyone,
just got a sony 48x certified disc on my hands. Guess what…

Manufacturer of CD-R: Acer Media Technology, Inc. (Type 7)

Well, after more than 2 years buying almost exclusively SONY’s mitsui or TY and testing a few other known brands, I can’t recall seeing acer anywhere mentioned as a good quality factory.

Anyone with an opinion to share? Should I keep mine about sony recently moving on to lower quality cdr factories to get higher profits?
First their jewel cases got worse… and now their cds? When is it going to stop? :wink:

For some testing results please see the posts
of Airhead and Jovo about the Sony 32x media
that are also made by Acer Media:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57462&pagenumber=4

Scroll down the page! :slight_smile:

Well, Interesting results. They’re not that bad after all.
Still, I value age testing a lot. What good is a well burned cd if, after a month or two it starts decaying?
There used to be good testing in www.cdmediaworld.com (now it just seems outdated information).but that kind of info i don’t find very frequently on the web, still it’s good to hear that the cd can be burned with no errors at all. :wink:

Originally posted by Vlad_is_dead
Still, I value age testing a lot. What good is a well burned cd if, after a month or two it starts decaying?

In this case I would look for other Taiyo Yuden CDs
or Verbatim DataLife PLUS MetalAZO/SuperAZO :slight_smile:

Just to be sure :smiley:

Originally posted by Vlad_is_dead
Well, Interesting results. They’re not that bad after all.
There used to be good testing in www.cdmediaworld.com (now it just seems outdated information).but that kind of info i don’t find very frequently on the web, still it’s good to hear that the cd can be burned with no errors at all. :wink:

You can cook your CDRs as a rather uncontroled age testing if you believe in time-temp superposition.

steam the stuff for 10 hours and see if they are still intact…

Originally posted by idiot@ace
[B]

You can cook your CDRs as a rather uncontroled age testing if you believe in time-temp superposition.

steam the stuff for 10 hours and see if they are still intact… [/B]

yeah sure. thats a great idea:rolleyes:

Originally posted by cd pirate

yeah sure. thats a great idea:rolleyes:

At least thats how Kodak and Mitsui test their CDR medias. 100 Celcius, at 85% humidity, for say 50 hours. Both company claim to have discs able to survive those conditions.

Maybe putting the test medias above you heater’s exhaust for 2 or 3 days, and record the error rate with WSES every 24hours (at night) will do. (use WSES because its more sensitive than cd speed, UMD Pro will also do if you live in Japan)