Again, Microsoft becomes more aggressive in nagging Windows 7 and 8.1 users to upgrade to Windows 10

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Again, Microsoft becomes more aggressive in nagging Windows 7 and 8.1 users to upgrade to Windows 10[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/10/windows-10-reservation-install-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft is, again, becoming more aggressive on trying to convince users to upgrade to Windows 10. The software giant now checks Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems twice a day for settings that disable the Windows 10 nag screens and automatically enables them again.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/again-microsoft-becomes-more-aggressive-in-nagging-windows-7-and-8-1-users-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-78345/](http://www.myce.com/news/again-microsoft-becomes-more-aggressive-in-nagging-windows-7-and-8-1-users-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-78345/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Optional update, yeah right!
Even with my head up my ass, mentally retarded, whatever, I can only ever see this as a forced update. :a

If you are on Windows 7 and do not have to upgrade, you are in a better spot at the moment, but even you will have to start questioning each and every so called “critical security update” as you could be installing spyware components instead. When they back-ported telemetry, they clearly stated that spying is where its at by their action… Words were totally unnecessary :frowning:

Microsoft would be surprised if they knew how many processes I have blocked from phoning home (pretty much everyone of them), O&O ShutUp 10, while being a good step in the right direction, simply is not enough and I am proud to have their spy OS locked down by the magic of outbound default block and blanking most of their default settings from the firewall config {even the non-deleteable ones} as they have made me suspicious beyond any recognition by their behavior.
The fact that some of your “Security updates” try to reinstate the rules only adds to it. You do not stand a chance though (There are simply no security reasons in existence to open ports or allow programs in the firewall, only block - or have you decided that user security is secondary :confused:)

What is it all about? Is it the NSA, FBI, CIA or the U.S. government itself that is ultimately behind this spying frenzy (I would like an answer to this)?

I am fiddling with the thought of creating a Windows-10-Microsoft-Spyware-Survival-Guide for the non-technical out there to make us able to win the fight. What do you do when your number game do not work anymore and the majority blocks you from tracking them… Start a not so “Crucial security update” frenzy, scamming your customers in your desperation to be able to spy on them again? Start to spread lies about the guide being dangerous to use?

Note to Microsoft: If you want to track me, contact me and I’ll let you do so for $99.99 each month. You can wish up on a star until they all fall down, you will not get any data otherwise :smiley:

Microsoft is, again, becoming more aggressive on trying to convince users to upgrade to Windows 10. The software giant now checks Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems twice a day for settings that disable the Windows 10 nag screens and automatically enables them again.
Just so great… :Z:Z

Now anyone wanting to kill the Windows Update Win10 notification in Windows Update and the Windows Nag taskbar look here…

Got to Post #9 and get those two zip files and kill those Win10 Nags. It’s free and works as it is in the Registry.

To those that unzip DisableWindows10.zip there are two files just run the “DisableWindows10” is all you need to kill any notification to that comes up in the WindowsUpdate in Control Panel. But also run the DisableGWX to kill the taskbar nag.

This kinda tyrannical forcing using to go Win10 tells me one thing. Windows10 was sold a “BILL OF GOODS” to consumers and now they are getting desperate since no one wants it anymore. On one forum I been seeing and hearing people express dissatisfaction and going to Ubuntu. Now if that isn’t telling then Windows has missed the boat.

I’ve paid $$$$$ for my computer and I’m not updating I’ll turn MS Windows Updates off it’s my choice to make not anyone Else’s I am the one work hard blood, sweat for my $$$ to pay for even my internet access. I may just go to another OS in the end I’m tired of Microshaft this is getting out of hand.

The very idea that some company knows what is best for me when I’m the one paying my bills is a fallacy. It goes to show how failed of an operating system Windows 10 really is forcing updates.

The sad thing is the people these constant nags are aimed at will never even know this comes through Windows update, let alone which update that’s causing it. The tech savvy users will get around this like they always do, but the average users will be aggressively nagged into upgrading.

Whether you think Windows 10 is a good OS or not is immaterial, Microsoft’s very shady and bordering on malicious behavior over Windows 10 nags and upgrades has gone too far, and I for one am disgusted with them for resorting to such tactics…

I just disabled Windows Update in protest of this nonsense…

I think we have more or less the same point here and I can not help but agreeing with you.

Ubuntu is not a bad OS for even the average user once set up properly, and it is hardly any rocket scientist’s game to get it up and running in the default configuration.

Acknowledging that most could use more than a little help with setting up even Windows and that they are not able to handle their own OS apart from running their programs, there is only ever going to be a small learning curve.

It is long since this started to get out of hand…

On the bright side, as coolcolors mentions, the tide is starting to turn in many forums, and then… in time, Linux only networks is possible - Oh happy day!

Of course, when any new OS get above the radar, we will get patching hell even there, but at the moment, I am happy to see more and more applications and not least games getting ported to Linux as that may attract more ordinary young people - The future is with them… :slight_smile:

I disabled my Updates a few months ago. Nothing Bad has happened. No hand has popped out of my monitor to pull me in.

[QUOTE=MrScary;2766471]I disabled my Updates a few months ago. Nothing Bad has happened. No hand has popped out of my monitor to pull me in.[/QUOTE]
Problem here is your missing Window critical/security update opening your system/network up for catch malware/virus. That is what your not seeing malware/virus aren’t going to announce to you they infected your system or made your system/network into a Zombie or Botnet network.

I don’t understand the big deal. If you don’t install any of the “recommended” updates you are fine. Just install “important” updates.

^ And even if you do install recommended updates, just check that you do not install KB 3035583 and you should be fine. Whenever KB 3035583 is offered as a recommended update, right click on it and set for that update to be ignored.

Whilst KB 3035583 will again be recommended after a few further updates (even though you have set your system to ignore it), you’ll get 2 or 3 months updates before it appears again and so long as you check for it before updating your win 7 or 8.1 system you won’t be bothered with constant nags to update to win 10.

KB3035583 keeps coming back, whenever Microsoft releases an updated version. I think I recently read that the 9th version is out already.

Nowaday I also skip KB2952664 as this also seems to be needed just for some Windows 10 pre-requisite checks.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2766584]KB3035583 keeps coming back, whenever Microsoft releases an updated version. I think I recently read that the 9th version is out already.

Nowaday I also skip KB2952664 as this also seems to be needed just for some Windows 10 pre-requisite checks.[/QUOTE]
Going with my DisableWindow10 and DisableGWX regedit works as I don’t see the nags even after installing KB3035583. And looks like users are using my Regedit to control MS KB3035583.

Microsoft has made a description available on how to avoid Windows 10 upgrading:

[B]How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options [/B]

I haven’t tried it myself as I’m still on the fence on whether to upgrade.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2766610]Microsoft has made a description available on how to avoid Windows 10 upgrading:

[B]How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options [/B]

I haven’t tried it myself as I’m still on the fence on whether to upgrade.[/QUOTE]
That is way to much work when I’ve already setup two Regedits that does it faster.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2766647]That is way to much work when I’ve already setup two Regedits that does it faster.[/QUOTE] As far as I can tell it should be enough to make a single registry entry, but as I said, I haven’t tried it:

Subkey: [B]HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx[/B]
DWORD value: [B]DisableGwx = 1[/B]

How we do it is still a little sidetracked, and I salute the fact that it is finally an official way of doing it. At the end of it, it is a question of whatever works.

I doubt it will work for long, given Microsoft’s recent behavior. They will find a workaround to their own workaround. That’s the Microsoft way: piling workarounds on top of each other and calling whatever comes out an “operating system.”

-Typed from my Windows-free Ubuntu machine. Just sayin’.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2766659]I doubt it will work for long, given Microsoft’s recent behavior. They will find a workaround to their own workaround. That’s the Microsoft way: piling workarounds on top of each other and calling whatever comes out an “operating system.”

-Typed from my Windows-free Ubuntu machine. Just sayin’.[/QUOTE]
This is why I wouldn’t trust anything MS says about disabling the GWX and Nags.