Again: Add copy protection to burned Dreamcast game?

vbimport

Da Taxman said:
“Backups are only allowed for personal use. If you don’t own the original, you are not allowed to own a copy. So, what you are doing is still illegal and not allowed on our forums. Respect CD Freaks by respecting the rules you agreed to by signing up here!”

Attached is a picture of one of the bins for my DC game collection. I do own the originals. I collect DC games, aiming for all the US releases. I have been creating copies to play ever since my 16 month old son got a hold of my (formerly) mint copy of Shenmue. I also trade DC games. A guy I trade with also collects DC games, also needs backups for his games, which I provide (for free) because he is incapable of doing so himself. Not illegal, not against the rules I agreed to (and read) before signing up.

So I ask again; does anyone know of a way to add a simple copy protection to legally burned DC games to prevent someone from making illegal copies of the legal copies? It would only have to defeat a pretty hopeless computer users attempts to use Nero to copy the disk.

Nope. By adding some copy protetion you will,

A) Violate the license you agreed to when you bought the game
B) Make copies that can now no longer be played on a DreamCast

[QUOTE=aamazingmon;2000937]Da Taxman said:
“Backups are only allowed for personal use. If you don’t own the original, you are not allowed to own a copy. So, what you are doing is still illegal and not allowed on our forums. Respect CD Freaks by respecting the rules you agreed to by signing up here!”

Attached is a picture of one of the bins for my DC game collection. I do own the originals. I collect DC games, aiming for all the US releases. I have been creating copies to play ever since my 16 month old son got a hold of my (formerly) mint copy of Shenmue. I also trade DC games. A guy I trade with also collects DC games, also needs backups for his games, which I provide (for free) because he is incapable of doing so himself. Not illegal, not against the rules I agreed to (and read) before signing up.

So I ask again; does anyone know of a way to add a simple copy protection to legally burned DC games [B]to prevent someone from making illegal copies of the legal copies?[/B] It would only have to defeat a pretty hopeless computer users attempts to use Nero to copy the disk.[/QUOTE]

Right to the point:
There is NO sense in this because if you would “someone” give that “legal copies” you had done an illegal thing already.
Not?? :confused:

[quote=Womble;2001002]

Nope. By adding some copy protetion you will,
A) Violate the license you agreed to when you bought the game
I’m just curious what license I agreed to when I bought the game? I checked no “I agree” box before playing, I broke no seal on the packaging, and made no agreements at Joe Blow’s garage sale where I bought it.

As for chef’s comment, if I can legally have a copy of a game I own, and my friend can legally have a copy of a game he owns, how does it become illegal because I made the copy for him? Are you trying to say it is only legal to have a copy of a game you own if you made it yourself?

The rules for using that “software” on CD are coming within the product, either printed on the package, disc inlay or in digital form.
By using the “software” you have accepted & agreed to all rules & limitaions.

One big rule is that you are not allowed to EDIT that “software” in any way, “adding a copy protection” of any kind is like editing.

[QUOTE=chef;2001816]One big rule is that you are not allowed to EDIT that “software” in any way, “adding a copy protection” of any kind is like editing.[/QUOTE]
Exactly so. :clap:

The right to modify a copyright work is the [B]exclusive[/B] right of the copyright holder.

Practically the only exception to that law is in the case of open source software where the licence expressly permits modification subject to specified conditions.