After burning a disk with DVDFab, drive becomes unavailable

vbimport

I’m on a new Dell XPS laptop with DVDFab 5.0.5.0.
I’ve used it on this laptop previously with no problem. I have since “recovered” and re-installed everything in order to clear out some goblins.

When I copy a disk, I can copy the disk fine, and burn it fine, but when that disk is burned, I am unable to do the following:

1. Burn a second disk. When I put in a blank, it’s not recognized.
  2. see the contents of a disk. Even with DVDFab closed the drive will not let me see a disks contents.
  3. I cannot copy a different disk (or the same disk). Again the drive won’t see the disk.
  4. Can’t use a different DVD burning program.

I suspect that DVDFab is not “letting go” of the drive somehow.

I want to reiterate that the drive has worked FINE before the “recovery”.

Any ideas?

Thansk for your time.

There’s been quite a few updates since 5.0.5.0. Try the latest version.

If ^ doesn’t work…

[QUOTE=eharmonica;2122888]I’m on a new Dell XPS laptop with DVDFab 5.0.5.0.
I’ve used it on this laptop previously with no problem. I have since “recovered” and re-installed everything in order to clear out some goblins.
[/QUOTE]

A new dell laptop?..so I guess this is vista and not a refurb’d xp?
I don’t know beans about vista, but here goes…a few questions for starters…

You said you recovered the laptop and reinstalled everything…
Did you use a recovery console in windows? It doesn’t sound like you reformatted and reinstalled your OS.

What do you have to do to recover your burner? Reboot?
I agree, it sounds like your burner is still “locked”.

In device manager…do you see any yellow caution icons?

You can try a registry patch called [B]cdgone[/B].
It is flagged as XP only, but preceeded release of vista. I have read users’ comments who have used it successfully with Vista.
To be clear however, I’ve never used cdgone with vista since I’ve never used vista.

Anyway, here’s a link:

http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm

Scroll down to [B]Other Registry Patches [/B]> [B]Restore Missing CD Drive [/B]

[Edit] Another thought…

In Fab, you could try choosing Img as the burn engine. You have to have Imgburn installed, but once installed, it is fairly well integrated with Fab and will work within the Fab application.

Also, I forgot to ask you to post a few burn logs.

The default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B]

[QUOTE=maineman;2122923]If ^ doesn’t work…

Did you use a recovery console in windows? It doesn’t sound like you reformatted and reinstalled your OS.

It is flagged as XP only, but preceeded release of vista. I have read users’ comments who have used it successfully with Vista.
To be clear however, I’ve never used cdgone with vista since I’ve never used vista.

Anyway, here’s a link:

[Edit] Another thought…

In Fab, you could try choosing Img as the burn engine. You have to have Imgburn installed, but once installed, it is fairly well integrated with Fab and will work within the Fab application.

The default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding.

By recover, yes I mean I reinstalled the OS. There is a partition on the HD put on there by DELL that restores the OS to the original factory condition. But that’s well beside the point. I mention it to let everyone know that THIS IS A CLEAN CLEAN install.

To get the drive back after burning, I had to reboot.

In DVDFab, I had checked the “Do Not Eject Disk When Done Burning” button. I unchecked it and that seems to have fixed my problem. I’ll keep an eye on it.

[QUOTE=eharmonica;2122987]Thanks for responding.

By recover, yes I mean I reinstalled the OS. There is a partition on the HD put on there by DELL that restores the OS to the original factory condition. But that’s well beside the point. I mention it to let everyone know that THIS IS A CLEAN CLEAN install.

To get the drive back after burning, I had to reboot.

In DVDFab, I had checked the “Do Not Eject Disk When Done Burning” button. I unchecked it and that seems to have fixed my problem. I’ll keep an eye on it.[/QUOTE]
Glad to hear that you figured it out…:cool:
Thanks for explaining about the “clean install”. One more reason I prefer a custom build, but kinda tough with a laptop…lol. The partitioned OS is fine for an install…until you experience a hardware failure.
The manufacturers really piss me off when you spend $1500-2000 for a new laptop and they don’t give you the OS disc…oh, but you can purchase it for $10…:Z
I went through the same thing about 1 1/2 years ago with my wife’s new dell laptop. I ended up with all the discs for no charge…the bastards.

Anyway, kinda weird that the [I]do not eject[/I] function would lock your drive…I’ve had [I]do not eject [/I]as a default setting for as long as it’s been around and run 7 burners on 2 different rigs.
Any chance this is a Matshita drive?

[QUOTE=maineman;2122923]If ^ doesn’t work…

Anyway, here’s a link:

[Edit] Another thought…

The default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=maineman;2123010]Glad to hear that you figured it out…:cool:
Thanks for explaining about the “clean install”. One more reason I prefer a custom build, but kinda tough with a laptop…lol. The partitioned OS is fine for an install…until you experience a hardware failure.
The manufacturers really piss me off when you spend $1500-2000 for a new laptop and they don’t give you the OS disc…oh, but you can purchase it for $10…:Z
I went through the same thing about 1 1/2 years ago with my wife’s new dell laptop. I ended up with all the discs for no charge…the bastards.

Anyway, kinda weird that the [I]do not eject[/I] function would lock your drive…I’ve had [I]do not eject [/I]as a default setting for as long as it’s been around and run 7 burners on 2 different rigs.
Any chance this is a Matshita drive?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Matshita UJ-875S ATA.

@maineman
Nice catch, pard.
@eharmonica
Sadly, you will probably continue to have problems with this drive and DVDFab (and other apps that work similarly). I will put a link here to what the program’s author thinks of them:
Here you go: http://club.cdfreaks.com/2074398-post6.html