AFA branded blank disks

The most popular and cheap blank DVDs available here are branded “AFA DVD+R 16X” and “AFA DVD-R 16X”. these are supposedly distributed by melody group.

I bought a bundle of 10 DVDs containing a CMC style HUB code.
Hub code starts with = PAP A 26 MF and MID = MCC 004 (000).
I thought the PAPA CMC disks were supposed to be good. However the scan results for these Disks are terrible.

I am now wondering wether these Disks were actually made by CMC at all. Has anyone heard about fake disks faking the hub codes also?

here are the scans, done at 16 X and 4X

Could be lower grade or rejects? I haven’t heard of any hub codes being faked (just MIDs), but then I haven’t been paying much attention of late.

At what speed did you burn these discs…and does a Transfer Rate Test produce a smooth curve? Even the 4x scan looks horrendous, although I don’t tend to scan with any of my Sammies.

hi ! thanks for the reply.

Burn Speed doesnt seem to have much affect. These are 16 X media so I usually burn at 12 X . and even at 8 X the results look similar.

What Do you mean by lower grades ? Does the same factory ( CMC factory A in this case ) produce various grades of DVDs ? if so I guess the the Production line part of the hub code is important too.

I only recently became interested in Blank DVDs and DVD burning. Learned a lot through this forum.

I mean discs that perhaps didn’t pass CMC’s (or MCC’s, since they have an MCC MID) quality control standards. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I knew nothing about blank media when I joined CDF. Learned everything I know from the folks in this forum (and still learn stuff here all the time!) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2408526]Could be lower grade or rejects? I haven’t heard of any hub codes being faked (just MIDs), but then I haven’t been paying much attention of late.

At what speed did you burn these discs…and does a Transfer Rate Test produce a smooth curve? Even the 4x scan looks horrendous, although I don’t tend to scan with any of my Sammies.[/QUOTE]

Yep Arachne is correct it could very well be lower grade media just like the TY brand of discs have
a Premium grade and then they have a Value line of discs that doesn’t meet certain quality standards
set by TY. You will more than likely run into some of those lower grade MCC 004 discs when buying some
of those el’ cheapo brand of discs and the store branded stuff. If you want to have reliable MCC 004 discs
then always buy Verbatim branded 16x +R discs. :iagree:

[QUOTE=IndiRacer;2408525]Hub code starts with = PAP A 26 MF and MID = MCC 004 (000).[/QUOTE]

CMC hub codes don’t have spaces in them. Did you just write it that way, or is that how the hub code looks etched on the disc?

[QUOTE=negritude;2409028]CMC hub codes don’t have spaces in them. Did you just write it that way, or is that how the hub code looks etched on the disc?[/QUOTE]

My guess was it was just the way it was typed…but if that’s how it appears on the actual hub, it may put things in a slightly different light…:slight_smile:

Good job you asked as I’d be interested in the answer :iagree:

For IndiRacer:

1. Are you using stock or modified firmware?

2. Do you have any Verbatim-branded MCC 004 to compare to with your burner?

For anyone:

1. Are the Samsung 223x drives accurate scanners?

2. Is Opti Drive Control bug-free enough that we can trust it’s results compared to DiscSpeed or CDSpeed?

[QUOTE=IndiRacer;2408529]What Do you mean by lower grades ? Does the same factory ( CMC factory A in this case ) produce various grades of DVDs ? if so I guess the the Production line part of the hub code is important too.

I only recently became interested in Blank DVDs and DVD burning. Learned a lot through this forum.[/QUOTE]

I have a strong suspicion that Melody Group (the owner of the AFA brand) is buying a reject media (not the b- or c-grade but true trash grade ones) which were meant to be recycled. They are labeling them and selling instead.
The quality of these rejects is usually so bad that not even the E-net would sell them. Once I bought a 50 pcs cake of AFA CD-Rs and I have to throw away almost all of them because of huge dye and reflective layer defects.

Thanks for all the replies.It is really nice to have expert help in clearing this up!:smiley:

[QUOTE=negritude;2409028]CMC hub codes don’t have spaces in them. Did you just write it that way, or is that how the hub code looks etched on the disc?[/QUOTE]

sorry about the confusion.There are no spaces in the hubcode. um… I usually write the HUB codes that way. It makes more sense(at least for me) when the media type - factory - prod line - date fields are separate.

But on a side note, I do have a Imation branded Disk that has a space in the hubcode. [PEP6K4 MA31020963 1]. so is this a fake?

I am using the latest firmware SB01 fully patched with all the options.but i think the patched firmware did improve things. there are some Disks i burned before the patch and they were much worse. in the first half of the disk the PIE graph was almost touching 400 and it gradually came down to about 100 towards the end of the disk.

well I dont have any verbatim branded MCC 004s, but I do have a Mitsubishi DVD+R 8X (says “MITSUBHI KAGAKU MEDIA CO.,LTD.” on the disk ).These cost about 3 times as much as the cheap media, so i use them only for really really important backups.
I’ll post the scan results below. but please do note that I burned this(8 X media) at 12X by mistake, but guess it still looks good.

Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B SB01
Disc Mitsubishi DVD+R 8X [ PAHA04MF ] MCC 003 (000)

well I wondered about this too. So i checked several times and both of these give identical results.

[QUOTE=IndiRacer;2409429]But on a side note, I do have a Imation branded Disk that has a space in the hubcode. [PEP6K4 MA31020963 1]. so is this a fake?[/QUOTE]

No, it is a legit CMC made medium. CMC Magnetics does use a few (slightly different) styles of serial numbering.

[QUOTE=pepst;2409047]I have a strong suspicion that Melody Group (the owner of the AFA brand) is buying a reject media (not the b- or c-grade but true trash grade ones) which were meant to be recycled. They are labeling them and selling instead.
The quality of these rejects is usually so bad that not even the E-net would sell them. Once I bought a 50 pcs cake of AFA CD-Rs and I have to throw away almost all of them because of huge dye and reflective layer defects.[/QUOTE]

I am starting to think you are right. I have disks starting with various hubcodes:

[PEP6T1LG] MID CMC MAG M01 (000)
[PAPA26MF] MID MCC 004 (000)
[MAP707MJ] MID MCC 03RG20
[MAP633MD] MID MCC 03RG20
[MAP712LH] MID MCC 03RG20

and they are all equally terrible in quality.Wish I found this site earlier and knew about PIE/PIF testing.:doh:

The last batch i bought I bought was [MAP707MJ] MCC 03RG20. They also look terrible, even just after writing to them. But there is something that strikes me in the scans. Even though the PIE is way too much, the amount of PIFs are low compared to the PIEs. Look at the following scan for example. Would like to know all of your opinion on this.