Advise on what cd/dvd drive to buy

vbimport

Hi all,

Can any one advise me on which cd/dvd burner to buy? i think i have narrowed it down to ether the pioneer or LG, i also like the idear of using an external enclosures, so advice on this will be greatly appreciated,

I will be using the drive to burn music, films, and back up of my sons xbox 360 games, and possibly backup of photos and files that are on my computer (to make room on my hard drives),

My current but dead drive is a Nec ND-2510A which i must say has been very disappointing for me.

All your suggestions will be very appreciated, but shhhh dont tell the wife, shes keeping an eye on what im spending :bigsmile:

Peace to you all.
Maddy

Hey Maddy, welcome to the forum (from another Brit hehe)! :slight_smile:

I’ve used both Pioneer and LG drives in an external enclosure (IDE drives though, not SATA) - both worked very well.

I actually have a “proper” external LG as well, the GSA-E10N, which has been pretty heavily used over the last 3 years, and is still burning nicely - so I think of the two my vote would have to go to LG simply because they seem reliable and last a fair amount of time with lots of use :slight_smile:

Saying that, both makes will do all you ask well, provided you feed them quality media - this would be a bit more important with the LG, as they like the good stuff - whereas from what I noticed with my Pio 115D, Pioneer will burn practically anything. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2476991]Hey [B]Maddy[/B], welcome to the forum (from another Brit hehe)! :slight_smile:

I’ve used both Pioneer and LG drives in an external enclosure (IDE drives though, not SATA) - both worked very well.

I actually have a “proper” external LG as well, the GSA-E10N, which has been pretty heavily used over the last 3 years, and is still burning nicely - so I think of the two my vote would have to go to LG simply because they seem reliable and last a fair amount of time with lots of use :slight_smile:

Saying that, both makes will do all you ask well, provided you feed them quality media - this would be a bit more important with the LG, as they like the good stuff - whereas from what I noticed with my Pio 115D, Pioneer will burn practically anything. :)[/QUOTE]
Hi there m8 :slight_smile: thanx for your reply, is it cold where you are? its blinking freezing here, nice to see the snow though, oops went a bit off topic there lol :slight_smile:

I will take a look at the at them both, i do like the sound of the pioneer though if it can burn practically anything, is that the latest pioneer or is there a newer one?

Bye for now

Hiya, yep it’s brass monkeys here (Bristol)…no snow though :sad:

Yeah, that’s one thing I did like about my Pioneer, is the amount of different disc brands and grades it’ll burn - good at Dual layer discs too :wink:

There is a newer model than the 115D, I think the 118(D) (IDE)/218 (SATA) might be the latest - you’ll have to get an enclosure for it though :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just used a bog-standard enclosure for IDE drives (Belkin) that I got on clearance in Staples, the drive still worked great.

here in Suffolk we had loads of the stuff, easy 6 to8 inch, had a snow ball fight with my kids (lol kids there adults now) im the biggist kid :bigsmile:

so now i got to find a good enclosure would a usb be ok?

cheers

I’m jealous :bigsmile:…ah well, maybe we’ll get some by Christmas (fingers crossed LOL). :slight_smile:

Yep, USB’s fine :iagree:

Hi just an update, i got myself a Pioneer DVR-S18L , and Pluscom 5.25 sata/ide to usb 2.0 enclosure, all seems to be working fine, although i’ve not tried burning any thing yet, as soon as i get some DL dvd discs i will back up my files from my PC,

Any recommendations for DL Discs to use?

Thanks again Arachne for all your help.

Hope you all had a good Christmas?

Happy new year (when it arrives)

Verbatim is the only Dual Layer quality media that I would recommend.

Just my 2 cents worth

[QUOTE=maddyme;2479659]Hi just an update, i got myself a Pioneer DVR-S18L , and Pluscom 5.25 sata/ide to usb 2.0 enclosure, all seems to be working fine, although i’ve not tried burning any thing yet, as soon as i get some DL dvd discs i will back up my files from my PC,

Any recommendations for DL Discs to use?

Thanks again Arachne for all your help.

Hope you all had a good Christmas?

Happy new year (when it arrives)[/QUOTE]

Hey, hope you had a great Christmas (and happy new year to you too, when it arrives!). I had a great Christmas thanks :flower:

Glad to hear that everything’s up and running smoothly :clap:

Pioneer drives are pretty tolerant, and will burn most stuff…but as mentioned, Verbatim are about the best quality DLs you can buy - especially if you’re backing stuff up (other brands, I’d say are OK for “everyday use”) :iagree: