Advice : Repairing a Sony Vaio laptop PRG-GRT260G

vbimport

I have a sony Vaio laptop PRG-GRT260G it is an older model circa 2003 I believe. It has developed a problem and I need some advice on where to look for the problem if anyone has any. It started to flicker the screen about two months ago and it seemed that I could pull back and forth on the screen and fix the situation immediately. Two weeks ago the screen went dark. Not totally black but very dim, so dim you couldn’t even see the cursor to turn off the machine. I hooked up an external montor and it displays that way after changing the bios to allow VGA mode.
I have been researching and from what I can determine I think that the inverter board sounds like the most likely culprit? I have also played around some with the latch switch and it makes the screen light up somewhat (doesn’t seem as bright as it shoulb be though, and only works for a few seconds) but I also can’t push up on the switch without taking the bottom off of the PC and I want to be sure I’m looking in the right direction before I tear into anything major. I have been pushing down on the switch and letting it pop back up and the screen lights momentarily up but goes dim again in a few seconds. Can anyone point me in a direction to look first?
Also can anyone shed light on how the bezel is attatched to the Sony screen? I can’t see any screws, is it a snap on bezel or are the screws hidden under the rubber pads?
If by chance the latch switch might be the culprit does anyone have a source for a replacement? I have found the bulb and inverter board online but no source for the switch. THANKS in advance for your help, I have never posted here without getting good answers to my questions, this is a great site for newbies like me.

Here are some instructions on how to safely dissasemble a Sony Vaio.

Here are some instructions on how to replace the backlight or inverter.

All at your own risk of course.

Moving the display causing issues could likely be the cable to the display.

the display inverter board powers the low temperature cathode flourescent backlight for
the display,a dnif it were intermittent you’d get an on-off effect…

Laptop display cables are only good for a finite number of open>close cycles…

which is why I do not embrace the “lap top as an only computer” mindset.

AD

Thanks for the responses. I have ordered an inverter, hope that it cures the problem! The display has stopped working totally now. I read many stories about these problems and somewhere it was mentioned that the inverter is the problem 75% of the time. I manually operated the latch plate several times to see if it might be the problem and it would make the display flash also at first but now nothing[I][/I]. I am surmising that the board has been failing like I mentioned for some time and it finally given up the ghost.
I haven’t use this computer extensively so I don’t think the cable should be the problem, but things do happen. The cable looked great and it is enclosed in a sheath.

Hey tell us how it goes too cause I have a dell that seems to be exbiting the same problem if you force shutdown and power on it the screen comes back. I also think either it’s the inverter or backlight but I am thinking of ordering the inverter just to see if that is the cause. But I wait to see how your solution works and decide maybe I should order a inverter as well. Mine is a Dell E1505…

I will post the results. :confused:

Good news, the inverter arrived today and it was the problem. I have repaired my first laptop even if it was only a small repair.
I was lucky to find a schematic of a PCG 280 that showed all
of the screw locations for the bezel and that was my major fear breaking something due to not removing all the screws. With that knowledge everything else was rather easy except for the two sided tape that held the inverter to the case, boy that was some good stuff. I thought there was a screw holding it.
Thanks to everyone who shared info with me it is wonderful that people share their knowledge.

p_wallace

Glad to hear you’ve got the problem solved. I’m going to rename your thread now, with a bit more detail, so that people looking for solutions to similar problems might be able to find it through a search.