Advice on Video Compression

Hello,

My first post. I am both a Newbie and a Silver Surfer, though owning a Computer for many many years now I’m not completely ignorant!!. What started this off was that my Grandsons have a full set of the three Lord of The Rings DVD’s (Extended edition - two DVDs per film). I had the thought that perhaps I could merge the two DVD’s onto one so they wouldn’t have to change DVDs halfway through a film.

This has opened a whole and exiting new world for me researching what I might do. Eventually finished up trying Divx and bought Divx Pro 7.0. I have succeeded in producing one DVD with both originals by compressing them with Divx, but resulting DVD was very disappointing.

There appears to be a lot of pixillation - right word? when rapid movement occurs, or with dark backgrounds and some backgrounds appear blurred. For example bushes appear as though they are covered in moss!!. The original DVDs are ok and display none of the divx problems so what am I doing wrong? Am I using the wrong software, is it the onset of dementia? have I bitten off more than I can chew? am I using HD standards instead of normal ? I would love to be able to do this. I have put a Divx film onto CD (a first for me!!!) with the same results.

I have a Toshiba LCD 32" WL66, with a Denon DVD1730 connected via HDMI for upscaling to “near HD quality”) which plays Divx no problem. I have a Shuttle PC with AMD Sempron 3000 using Windows XP, with 2GB of RAM two HD’s of 250GB each (one external) and a Philips DVDR 1648

Now well and truly bitten by this bug any advice will be gratefully received.

Dave (Braehead)

Hi Braehead,and wc… Yes that so-called “pixillation” you see is/ can be the result of the the compression and a low a bitrate needed/used to encode 5+ hrs. of video on one DVD-5 disc… ~1800kbit/s…too low for DVD quality…Best thing is to not convert at all…FYI,the media used does matter and can result in the pixillation you see…
If I were doing it I’d backup the 2 disc set to a DVD-9 size disc…this way the the bitrate needed would be ~3400kbit/s…way better(at least for me) near DVD quality result…
Around here most recommend using only Verbatim DVD+R DL media…

Now if you must convert/compress ,I would suggest using h.264 codec instead since it will/should create(at least it has for me) a good video quality at substantially lower bitrates…
For an All-IN-ONE I recommend DVDFab Platinum…There are freeware methods/tools, DVDRB comes to mind,however for a noob ,I’d try the 30 day free trial of FAB and see if it meets your needs or not…
Might try this bitrate calc,to help you on your next conversion venture…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VideoCalc

I agree, if you want it on a single disc, then a DL disc would be the best choice. If should matter much, but you could also try a different tool. AutoGK works well.

Eventually finished up trying Divx and bought Divx Pro 7.0. I have succeeded in producing one DVD with both originals by compressing them with Divx, [B]but resulting DVD [/B]was very disappointing.

That is confusing. Did you convert to Divx then convert back to DVD, or does your player play Divx files?

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2203755]That is confusing. Did you convert to Divx then convert back to DVD, or does your player play Divx files?[/QUOTE]

OP stated his Denon supports Divx.

Thanks for the advice tOnee1 - I use Taiyo Yuden DVDs but I don’t think they do a DL yet.
DVDFab sounds as though it will do the trick, though I also read somewhere about DVD Remake so I’ll look at that too. I obviously have a lot to learn so don’t be surprised to see me back seeking more help.
You have given me much to think on - thanks again.

I would love to be able to do this. I have put a Divx film onto CD (a first for me!!!) with the same results.

Well for what it’s worth a 1 CD Divx/xvid movie is pretty much past it’s prime (a hold over from the early days), especially since blank DVDs are often cheaper that good CDs and most folks are viewing on larger better TVs.

When I make Xvids I shoot for about 2GB (more than that and my Philips has problems) and like to retain the original source resolution, 720 X xxx. The results can be near identical to the DVD, but the longest movie I’ve done was just under 3 hours. It is the nature of the beast to have some blocking/pixilation though, in smooth low detail scenes, skys etc.