Advice on new BD Writer

vbimport

BDR-208M

Damn company doesn’t support it! No damn firmware update since I bought this when it was first released! Now the drive has stopped reading any BD at all what a horrible crap product this burner is! I should of stuck with Liteon they always have new firmware updates and do not ignore there products!

I currently own a BDR-208M which appears to be CRAP! Damn Pioneer has not released a firmware for this drive since it came out!

Now after not really using it much but to burn some MP3 CD’s I go to burn a BD and it failed. After I tried to read back burned BD’s it had trouble reading them… It appears this crap drive has already died already! Never had horrible product quality like this with Liteon they lasted forever.

So what is currently considered to be the best BD Writer that can write all BD media including BDXL.

[QUOTE=molitar;2736535]I currently own a BDR-208M which appears to be CRAP! Damn Pioneer has not released a firmware for this drive since it came out!

Now after not really using it much but to burn some MP3 CD’s I go to burn a BD and it failed. After I tried to read back burned BD’s it had trouble reading them… It appears this crap drive has already died already! Never had horrible product quality like this with Liteon they lasted forever.

So what is currently considered to be the best BD Writer that can write all BD media including BDXL.[/QUOTE]

All I can say is my Lite-on eHBU312" died on me the other week and that was brand only had it 1 year, on the other hand got this new “LG 14x super multi blue BE14” and it does BDXL and "MDisc as well . It works well and not a coaster from it.:wink:

Pioneer drives are still considered the best Blu-ray writers for quality of burns. A sample size of one is not enough to blacklist them, as many, many members here use them with great success.

Have you considered using different media? Verbatim, Panasonic and FTI/Falcon are among the best BD discs on the market.

Also, use ImgBurn when burning BD media. This sentence should come on the box of every single Blu-ray drive sold.

Kerry,

My problem with it was company ignored the drive completely no firmware updates… create a product and never support it. It left a bad taste in my mouth how do I know they are not doing this with there other products? Unless someone here like C0deking is supporting it with there own released firmware I don’t want to buy another Lemon…

I understand products die but I do want something that is supported!

Did you encounter an issue that required a firmware update like a media it couldn’t handle?

Install ImgBurn. Click on Tools–>Drive–>Check for Firmware Update. There are two files at Firmware HQ that say they are firmware for the 208M, but the file names I see start with 208EBK and 208JBK, so I don’t know if they would work. Perhaps someone with more experience with this drive will chip in, so I would treat these two as highly suspect in the meantime.

My 207MBK has 11 firmwares available there, but only two with 207M in the name.

I’m not having any issues with the drive, nor with the media I use, so I don’t need a firmware update.

By the way, have you tried locating a Lite-on internal Blu-ray burner lately in the US? There aren’t any at Newegg. Amazon doesn’t show one on the first page of a search, and their search is worthless beyond that. None at Frys, MicroCenter, Mwave, or Directron. There is one, refurbished, at Tiger Direct.

They seem to be pulling back from the US market. Or abandoning this dying field altogether.

If you don’t want a Pioneer, I’d say get an LG. Always had good luck with my old GGW-H20L.

I think I’ll go for the LG but not sure what the difference is between the WH and BH version? What is the difference can you tell me? BH16NS40 and the WH16NS40

A big factor in this decision is when I went for a review for this drive could find them all over. But try a review on the Pioneer 209DBK and nothing.

Second I found that firmware updates exists for the LG which means they are working at improving it for media but for Pioneer I did not find anything.

Looking at burn quality on the 1.03 firmware they looked quite good on the media I am using and did not really see much difference between the Pioneer or LG when it came down to the results.

I have to replace my old Pioneer BDR-208M which one thing I hated is Pioneer never did any firmware updates at all on it.

I tend to burn 25GB Blu-Ray Data discs and MP3 CD’s mainly. I was looking at either the BH16NS40 or WH16NS40 for a replacement. What do you think of these writers compared to others for performance and burn quality?

Merging 3 threads because, well, they all sorta morph into the same topic, and we don’t want folks mistakenly replying to multiple threads on the same(ish) topic.

I´ve had no problems with Pioneer drives so far.

The LG BH16NS40 is very good for the widespread mediacode CMCMAG BA5. You can find them in Verbatim DATALIFE (Verbatim 43804, 43811, 43812) or HP BD-R25 6x for example.
The LG will also write TDK or Panasonic made BD-R50 with decent quality, but a Pioneer beats the LG with almost any BD-R DL medium. :wink:

The Pioneer 208 M ist a Pioneer 208 EBK or Pioneer JBK 208 :slight_smile:

Just click the following Link

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Pioneer/BDR-208M/files.html

PS. I love Pioneer Drives. Great Quality.

The LiteOn IHBS312, the LGBH16NS40 and the Pioneer Bluray209M Burners are great.

Greetz Kirby :flower:

I’ve been using Pioneer drives, alongside drives from other manufacturers, since the good old days. Honestly, Pioneer make excellent products with great reliability. Product support has slowed down somewhat over the past few years, especially after DVRs were outsourced to QSI. Consider this though: the price of a DVD writer is only a fraction (about 10%) of what we paid 10 years ago for the same thing. BDRs look to have settled in price as well. To be fair, even with the firmware updates not being released as frequently as in the past, I haven’t had any issues (but then again, I insist on using only the best, well-supported media). Personally, I think that we should consider ourselves lucky that Pioneer hasn’t outsourced the production of BDRs in today’s market.

:a[QUOTE=katraine;2736556]I´ve had no problems with Pioneer drives so far.

[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky, because pioneer and waranty doesnt go hand in hand !!!

And i know that from experience !!

I"ll never forget the day they sold faulty dvd writers back then.

Sure it burned dvd’s alright, but no cd for some reason !!!

Allot of poeple complained about that exact same defect !!

And sure enough, on top of that they refused to take the drive back under waranty !!!

True story :a

[QUOTE=molitar;2736538]Kerry,

My problem with it was company ignored the drive completely no firmware updates… create a product and never support it.

I understand products die but I do want something that is supported![/QUOTE]

What are you talking about???

A product that doesnt need updates at all is 10 x better than those who need tons of updates to even work as advertised!!