Advice on media please

I have an NEC 4551 that I wanted to pick up some good media for locally. Any idea which media this drive perfers? Id like to find something at Frys or bestbuy I can get locally. Thanks for any input. I mostly backup movies.

Some DVD+R media that my NEC 4551 really likes (not in any particular order):

[ul]
[li]Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC 004)[/li][li]Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02)[/li][/ul]Some DVD-R media that my NEC 4551 really likes (not in any particular order):

[ul]
[li]Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20)[/li][li]Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R (TYG03)[/li][li]Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R (TYG02)[/li][/ul]Some CD-R media that my NEC 4551 really likes (most preferred at the top):

[ul]
[li]Verbatim DataLifePlus 52x CD-R Crystal + Super AZO (Double Protection)[/li][li]Verbatim Extra Protection 52x CD-R Made in India (Moser Baer)[/li][li]Plextor (Taiyo Yuden) 48x CD-R - but don’t burn these faster than 32x![/li][/ul]My 4551 is not particularly fond of Ritek 48x CD-R media when burned at 48x, but I haven’t tried burning them at a slower speed.

For some reason I always thought Verbatim wasnt very good media. Then again i think I heard this like 5 years ago. Thanks for the info!

Try to stick with one of these:
Verbatim PASTEL DVD-R (TYG02)
Verbatim DVD+R 16x RATED (MCC004)
FUJIFILM DVD +R MADE IN JAPAN 8x RATED (YUDEN000 T02)

Almost every drive likes these :slight_smile:

Those Fujifilms Made in Japan are difficult or impossible to find now.
Fujilm 8x DVD+R these days are usually Ritek R03, but other MIDs have been reported as well.

Hm, here in Lithuania Fujifilm DVD+R 8x (MADE IN GERMANY) are still YUDEN000 T02’s… :slight_smile:

Verbatim PASTEL DVD-R (TYG02)
Verbatim DVD+R 16x RATED (MCC004)

On these… where on the cotainer do I look to see if they are TYG02 or MCC004? I plan on picking some up locally if possible. Thanks for replys.

TYG02 is 8x DVD-R media and should say “Made in Japan” somewhere on the packaging. I believe that all Verbatim “Pastel” media are Taiyo Yuden media and are Made in Japan. Don’t confuse the “Pastel” CD-R with the “Coloured” CD-R however.

MCC 004 is 16x DVD+R media and should definitely not say Made in Japan on the packaging, but rather Made in Taiwan or Made in India (or in very rare cases Made in Singapore).

This is all I can find at Best Buy…
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6810187&type=product&id=1091100392023

be nice if it was a 50 pack… and cheaper!

Is that the price in U.S. Dollars? :eek:

I thought media was supposed to be much cheaper in the U.S. than over here in EU land. $20 for a 25 pack of Verbatim 16x is twice the price compared to the German shops I buy from.

Price on-line at Rima is $14.50, but that’s still 40% more expensive than what I’m used to. I guess I have to reconsider my thinking that media prices in the US are lower than here.

Well I wouldnt call bestbuy the cheapest place to get media from but atleast they are local. Are those the correct DVD’s?

They are not the only “correct” DVDs, but they are some of the best!

If you reference Frys, you would most likely be in the US and there are no Verbatim Pastels here. Actually, there is no reliable source for TY other than online. Rima.com is the most reliable. Verbatim +R 16X are always MCC 004 so far.

Where can I buy TY or (Cheap :stuck_out_tongue: ) Verbatim media that ships to Portugal? Rima only ships to the US right?

If you think that’s expensive you should see the prices where I am…

[off-topic]
Oh I know what “expensive” is: In danish shops the normal price per piece of DVD+/-R is 25 DKK (approx. $4 USD). But no sane person will pay that price when you can get the same discs at one tenth the price from german on-line shops!

The ridiculous price in danish shops is due to a heavy blank media levy, which is supposed to go the poor unfortunate artists who get robbed when I backup my data files onto a DVD, or something like that. Copying Audio CDs and Video DVDs is still illegal for copy-protected discs however. :rolleyes:
[/off-topic]