Advice on installing program files onto a new computer

I wanted to save some of the program files from my computer, and load them onto another. I went into my C drive, program files folder and went to the programs I wanted to transfer. I wasn’t quite sure what I needed from the specific programs folders so I just took the whole folder containing all of the files and saved that to disc. When I put the disc in the other computer the files were visible, but I wasn’t sure which icon to click or where to start in the installation process. I am aware that this process can be done via USB, but that is not an option in this scenario. Can any one direct me what exactly to do after the program file folders come up on the new computer? Any help would be appreciated.

I’ll say this while you are waiting on an expert. Most programs cannot be moved from one computer to another in the way you are trying. Because there are other files located in other locations on the hard drive. You will need to get the “setup” files for the programs.

You can’t start the installation process from those files. You need to install them from the original cd or go to the programs web site and download the programs again.
Like undine said you can’t just put the program files folder on the drive either, programs install files in other locations and also install registry entries which are required for most programs to run correctly

One of the programs that I am trying to transfer was already installed on the computer when I bought it originally. I did make copies of system recovery discs which contain all of the files. If I were to use them is there a way to pick and choose which files I want to install? As far as files that need to be down loaded is there a way to save it at the initial down load so that I could do what I am trying to accomplish now, such as saving the installation wizard?

Do not plan on getting any programs from the first computer. Either download the programs from the internet or get the cd,s to install them. Good luck.

[QUOTE=undine;1950505]I’ll say this while you are waiting on an expert. Most programs cannot be moved from one computer to another in the way you are trying. Because there are other files located in other locations on the hard drive. You will need to get the “setup” files for the programs.[/QUOTE]

I will agree with undine but with some added lines…all you should do is copy the saved data files created by those programs and then do a new install on the other computer and copy the saved data files into the correct folders in the program locations and rerun the program to located those data files. As mentioned by other posters you can’t just copy the program files over cause of the registery problems you will encounter but any errors will come out as a result of doing such program files moves. This will cause you more headache to diagnosis the problem rather then just a new install and copy the data files over will save time and money…

[quote=Edison151;1950532]One of the programs that I am trying to transfer was already installed on the computer when I bought it originally. I did make copies of system recovery discs which contain all of the files. If I were to use them is there a way to pick and choose which files I want to install? As far as files that need to be down loaded is there a way to save it at the initial down load so that I could do what I am trying to accomplish now, such as saving the installation wizard?[/quote]As far as I know with recovery discs it will install everything and you cant choose what to install and what not to install, But once it has installed everything you can go and uninstall what you don’t want of course.
Yes when you download the programs you want you can save them to another HDD or Burn them to a CD/DVD so you can use them again

Thanks for all of the help, I appreciate it.

Win xp has a Files&Setrtings export utility. Look it up on Help&Support, it’ll do what you’re looking for.

Install one program at a time setting a recovery point first, test all operations and operations of other programs you use, after 24 hrs with no problems repeat with the next program.