Advice on ethernet connection

vbimport

I have a computer that I am going to set up in my art studio. The computer needs a internet connection, I need a more reliable means that to go wireless.

I figured that I would just get a 100ft ethernet cable and run it from my router to the studio.

I was wondering if any of you know how well a ethernet cable will hold up against Colorado weather.

I was planning on going with this cable. Any ideas?

Why do you need such a long cable? Are you going from one house to another? Do you only have one phone jack in your house? It would be much better to run some cat5e or cat6 cable under the house, and put in a junction box in each room. Then you don’t have to trip over the cord, or have people walking on it all the time.

The art studio that I have is not connected to my house. With the way that my backyard is set up also only half of the cable can be buried.

What is the distance factor, as well as any wall mediums between the two points (yes this incl trees)?

Your answer to this will help determine if wireless is a good alternative, although with some of the routers on the market today, along with amplifiers you can add to them, you can get quite a signal boost depending on your needs.

[QUOTE=pupuplader;2155733]I have a computer that I am going to set up in my art studio. The computer needs a internet connection, I need a more reliable means that to go wireless.

I figured that I would just get a 100ft ethernet cable and run it from my router to the studio.

I was wondering if any of you know how well a ethernet cable will hold up against Colorado weather.

I was planning on going with this cable. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

It will hold up but you have to put the ethernet cable in a electric conduit from your house to the studio to protect it. They do have grey ethernet cable that is for outdoor use but not extreme exposure. So if you decide to run cable it best to be put in a condict from your house to studio. That way in the future if you want more cable to the studio you can use the conduit you already laid down previously. Wireless is good but unless you configure it for good security and have good reception and no interference then go for it. And I think 100ft is well within the run of ethernet cables 328ft limit. So go for it but remember you will need to run it in a electrical conduit.