Advice needed for purchase!

Hi all,
i have a plextor 708a(old),up until now she gave me only joy but recently it started to have problems reading discs;so i cleaned the drive and the laser,the situation maintains!!!
Reading in the forum i could not see what brand is the most realilable;i thought it was plextor but then i readed that they stoped making their own drives!!!What a shame!!!
From reading i think the pionner or benq are problaly the “best”,but im a little lost here. My goal is to get a drive wich maintains quality over the years like this plextor one i have,quality above all. I´ve had samsung and lg dvd-roms and they lasted very little time before starting to give errors,so i don`t know about the quality of those drivers in the present time.
Can someone lend me a tip?
Another thing:im not a massive burner,maybe 5/10 discs per month.

Best Regards and thanks in advance.

Pioneer 115/116 or 215/216 (IDE/SATA).
NEC Optiarc 72** series.
These models would be my first port of call.

Tx for your input,ive been reading the forum and seeing the reviews in the meantime,i tend also for the pionner ones. The hard part is finding a store wich have them here in Portugal,lol. All i see are lgs and samsung`s.
Well,searching…

Best regards

LG or Samsung are good choices!

Really?
I thought that samsung or lg were drives for the “average consumer” since i`ve had bad experiences with both of them,besides the stores are filled up with them here in Portugal.
Tx for the input
Best regards

I also had a Plextor PX 708a which lasted for about a year and a half.
I am looking for a new drive, also with quality above all, but to be able to do quality scanning too.
I was thinking at Liteon iHAS 422/322

[QUOTE=gorgeousjorge;2162881]Really?
I thought that samsung or lg were drives for the “average consumer” since i`ve had bad experiences with both of them,besides the stores are filled up with them here in Portugal.
Tx for the input
Best regards[/QUOTE]

My LG and Sammy drives have served me well. LG in particular, make pretty robust drives in my experience. Sorry to hear you had bad experiences with both :frowning:

Pioneer also make very good solid drives, for the most part IMO.

@NairdaVas - welcome to CDF :)…if you’re after quality scanning, I’d pick a LiteOn :iagree:

Well,my first dvd-rom was a sammy,and only lasted 1 year before starting having trouble in reading some comercial dvd`s.
I have 8 drives total distribued by 4 machines and some in a closet,and from the experience they provide i can conclude that the best ones are the plextors by far,aopen lg and samsung the worst,and sony(cd-rom)pretty good also.
But for now i think ill go with pionner the 215 d to be more exact.
Tx for your opinions,keep them coming!!!
Best regards

I had a Sammy DVD-ROM (my first and only DVD-ROM drive), and it was very temperamental. :iagree:

The 215D is an excellent choice BTW.

I am also in the market for a new SATA burner. I have a S203B which is bad ass but can’t find them anymore, not even used on ebay. :c(

It seems that the Optiarc 7200 series is the new all-rounder champ.

Is this particular model good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011

Yep, it’s a good model :iagree:…but it’s IDE and I thought you wanted SATA? Look for a model with “S” on the end for the SATA flavour. :slight_smile:

Good catch! I need SATA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118023

^^ How about that one? I don’t see any other ones on Newegg. Hoping to pay under $30 shipped for good all rounder, minus scanning. Drive must be black!

The Pioneer’s are nice but they are lil more pricey. I’m on a tight budget unfortunately.

Edit: This is the best one right? http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-NEC-Optiarc-AD-7200S-0B-20X-DVD-RW-DVD-Burner-Blk_W0QQitemZ110318794375QQihZ001QQcategoryZ51065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm. According to this thread there’s a possibility it’s a rebadged LiteOn drive (I don’t own the 7220S so can’t tell you for sure).

Just making you aware of the possibility. :slight_smile:

Edit: Of the two, I’d go for the one on eBay (or maybe you can find the 7200S for sale elsewhere?) as that one definitely has an NEC chipset :wink:

Thank you so much Arachne!

I ordered the 7200S from eBay. It comes out to $20.39 after 10% instant ebay coupon and 30% live cashback. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome - good luck and enjoy your new drive when it arrives :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2168002]You’re welcome - good luck and enjoy your new drive when it arrives :)[/QUOTE]

It will actually be for my dad. I am building him a new Quad core PC for his birthday coming up in a few weeks. :c)

He wants to convert some home movies to DVD pretty soon so figured he could use a top notch burner.

Lucky Dad! I’ve been drooling over the 72xxS series drives for quite some time, but can’t justify replacing any of my drives at the moment! :wink:

You already have a bajillion drives!

I personally have a S203B in my main system and it works great. I only use TY 8X DVD-R media so it’s fine. :c)

The Sammy is another excellent drive :iagree:

And yeah, I think I have too many :o…that’s another reason for me not buying drives at the moment, no matter how much I drool over them :wink: