Advice needed - cheap IDE burner or $$$ SCSI

I have a dual Xeon P4 2.4ghz rig. Currently, all 4 of my onboard IDE channels are filled with Western Digital 120GB Special Edition drives.

I have onboard scsi, with a Pioneer DVD rom drive, Yamaha 16x burner and a 73gb drive. I also have a firewire external Lite-On 24x burner (Creative crap).

I’d like a new 48 speed burner to replace the firewire Lite-On (after a year it’s giving me fits, and for the first time locking up mid burn). The new Yamaha F1 SCSI drive is considerably more expensive than the new Lite-On IDE drives … I’d love to buy a new 48x LiteOn IDE drive for $60 and pop it right in, but I don’t have an open IDE channel.

And I understand if I use a Maxtor ATA/133 controller, the drive won’t be DMA enabled, is that true?

If the Yamaha F1 really worth the added $150 ($215.00 on pricewatch)? I understand it can make some better audio cds, and the disc t@2 stuff is neat, but I just want a cheap, fast burner with Mt. Ranier support that supports all the Clone CD modes.

Suggestions appreciated… thanks!

got USB 2.0? And I must say, Damn! that’s a lot of storage 553GB unformatted sheesh

I would move HD’s to a controller card and free up IDE channels for the CD drive. you can have a card and a new LiteOn 48x drive for less than the alternative drives cost alone.

And if your space is still not enough: get some WD 2000 JB :slight_smile:

get some WD 2000 JB

I see they came out with those with the 8MB cache, drool-slobber.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I would move HD’s to a controller card and free up IDE channels for the CD drive. you can have a card and a new LiteOn 48x drive for less than the alternative drives cost alone.

I’m confused … if I put the WD drives on the controller card, will I get DMA or not?

From what I understand, CD burners can’t use DMA when connected to the controller card … but can hard drives? So I can maintain the same speeds (ATA100) that I’m getting with the onboard EIDE?

Or is this incorrect? Can CD Burners be placed on the controller card?

Some controller cards support ATAPI, but quite some don’t. I’d suggest to put HDD’s on a controller card and your optical devices on the mainboard… that should work…

And some of the controller cards which support ATAPI will only work properly for reading :frowning:

Thanks for your tips guys.

What I ended up doing was buying a Memorex 48x24x48 from CompUSA for $79.99. Best BUy wanted $169.99 for the Yamaha F1 … and after reading reviews of the F1, I passed.

I managed to avoid the whole IDE thing by just pulling the Creative Firewire burner apart and installing the new Memorex burner inside. Worked like a charm - even kept the same blue face plate.

80 mins is 2:36 - whee!

Thanks again…