Advice: External Blueray Writer

vbimport

hello there,

i am looking for an external blueray burner and need your advice. though its main purpose will be archiving my cd and dvd collection, i also would like to be able to watch bluerays with it. i have no experience with blueray drives so far and i wonder if there exists a drive that combines all of these disciplines?

the most important thing to me is its dae features. ideally it should have:

accurate stream: yes
caching: no
c2 errors: yes
httoa: yes
overread into lead in and out: both
burn offset corrected

any recommendations are highly appreciated

Welcome to the forum. It’s always good to see new members. :flower:

I don’t think you will find any drives now which support overreading, especially not a Blu-Ray drive. The last drives I know of which supported that were the Sanyo-based Plextors, which were discontinued years ago.

You can try searching the daefeatures.co.uk database, but I seriously doubt the accuracy of the overread information for most of the non-Plextor drives.

It sounds like you wish to make ‘perfect’ copies of audio CDs. Don’t worry too much about that.

Knowing the correct read-offset is vital for Accurate & comparing the CRC. But the samples at the start & end of virtually every commercial CD ever made are silence (zeros), which most secure extraction software can fill in automatically. Also consider this, the largest offset you are likely to see these days is +667 samples which at 44,100KHz is only 0.0151 seconds of audio!

In any case the method for calculating read offsets developed by Andre Wiethoff for Exact Audio Copy are actually incorrect by 30 samples, as CDFreaks member IpseDixit discovered a decade ago (here). So even if you had an overread capable Plextor drive with an EAC-calculated offset of +30 samples, allowing EAC to overread to get the missing samples would not actually give you a ‘perfect’ copy of the CD, as the true offset for that drive is actually +0 (or possibly +60).

AccurateRip & dBpowerAMP use the same read offsets as EAC because it is necessary to have a standardised method of compensating for different drive offsets so the CRC can be compared. That the offsets used are technically incorrect is unimportant.

hi lbex and thanks a lot for your explanations.

in fact, my main focus will be archiving my audio cds and i already had a look at the deafeatures site. but searching for these ‘ideal’ features does not name blueray drives at all. i already heard that br drives are not the first choice when dealing with audio cds or even dvds.

so in the end, a recommendation for a fine external dvd writer which comes close to this ideal might be the better choice in this case?

anyway, an advice on a br writer that you have had positive experience with in these terms is still very welcome.

The choice of Blu-Ray writers these days is limited - there’s LG, Pioneer or a slim-type Samsung. Other makes will be rebadging these drives. People seem to like the Pioneers more than the current LGs. The Samsung SE-506 is the only current Blu-Ray writer which can scan discs, but the latest ‘C’ version has issues writing at certain speeds.

But there are other members who can give a better recommendation than me.

It’s a similar story with DVD writers, people do not regard any of the current dives to be as good as their predecessors.

For extracting audio from damaged CDs, I find Mediatek-based Samsung & Lite-On DVD writers very good (although I haven’t used their latest drives). For writing CDs previous Samsungs were much better than Lite-On drives, and the same is probably true of their current drives. Both should support C2 pointers & no audio caching (earlier Lite-Ons did cache, but also supported FUA).

For writing DVDs the Lite-On probably has the edge over the Samsung, but the difference is probably quite small. Avoid the ‘W’ & ‘X’ versions of the Lite-On.

I don’t know much about the current LG & Pioneer DVD writers. LG drives have been very hit & miss for some time, and the much loved Pioneers of old were discontinued about 5 years ago. Since then the drives have again been rather hit & miss.

For a decent all-round drive the Lite-On iHBS Blu-Ray writers were a good choice. They were discontinued a while ago, but they are a few new ones around if you look hard enough (in the UK, £97 from amazon Marketplace). You may also be able to find a Teac rebadged-iHBS. Finding an external one will be hard. They were excellent at writing CDs. For DVDs & Blu-Ray they were OK - not the best, but good enough and far from the worst. But there will be no more firmware updates.

If you can find a new (discontinued) Optiarc DVD writer, they were good drives (the last was the AD-5280S).

Most drive models have a dedicated thread for results & discussion, so you can browse other peoples results.

Once again, me experience of the latest drives is almost non-existent. There are other members more qualifed to give a recommenation.

The Samsung SE-506 is the only current Blu-Ray writer which can scan discs, but the latest ‘C’ version has issues writing at certain speeds.

And my 506BB stopped last week reading/recognizing blu-ray discs,pressed,writable and rewritable…:frowning:
Only half a year old…so much for reliability…:eek::frowning:

@lbex: again thanks alot for your suggestions.

regarding the samsung br writers, the 506cb model is much cheaper than its predecessor and has a quite positive feedback on amazon. but someone complained about the drive (bb version) not beeing able to write audio cds. is that true and what about cb? is the writing issue that you’ve mentioned a big problem?

i also would be interrested in its daefeatures, maybe someone could post for both versions here?

@roadworker: sorry to hear about your bad experience with the samsung drive.

if there is some more external br or dvd writers worth beeing recommended, please feel free to post :wink:

ps: i forgot to ask about a possible hardware limit. my notebook only has usb 2.0 and a core2duo processor 2.3ghz with 4gb ram win7 64bit, will this work without problems?

USB 2 will be a speed limitation for Blu-Ray & DVD. You should be fine at low speeds, up to 4x, but 6x may be marginal. I have a Sony BWU-500S (~iHBS clone) running in an LG GE20 USB 2 enclosure, works a treat. For DVD writing 16x is likely to be too fast, 12x should be fine with a good enclosure.

There is a results & discussion thread in the Samsung forum for SE-506CB which would be worth reading. People have reported a serious bug when writing BD-R at (IIRC) 2x, which resulted in unusable discs. I think other speeds were OK, as were the earlier A & B drives (but I wouldn’t recommend relying just on my memory ;)).

[QUOTE=Ibex;2737248]USB 2 will be a speed limitation for Blu-Ray & DVD. You should be fine at low speeds, up to 4x, but 6x may be marginal. I have a Sony BWU-500S (~iHBS clone) running in an LG GE20 USB 2 enclosure, works a treat. For DVD writing 16x is likely to be too fast, 12x should be fine with a good enclosure.[/QUOTE]Yeah, those are the expected speeds with the right combo of controller + enclosure + drive. Optimized situations can hit 18x or 20x for DVDs over USB 2.0 (I have an LG external DVDRW and a Pioneer external DVDRW, respectively, which work perfectly with the nVidia nForce in my 2009 Mac), so there’s hope, but I also have a system that struggles with 8x DVD writing, so mileage definitely varies. :iagree:

[QUOTE=frankx21;2737219]but someone complained about the drive (bb version) not beeing able to write audio cds. is that true [/QUOTE]

Not true,the 506BB can write audiocd’s…:disagree:

[QUOTE=frankx21;2737219]i also would be interrested in its daefeatures
[/QUOTE]

The extraction speed when used with EAC is horrible…only 2-3x average,on different cd’s.
The drive can do accurate stream,is capable to retrieve C2 errors,but caches audiodata…:frowning:

@lbex: i think the writing issues of the cb version won’t be a huge drawback to me, as i will rarely write bd-rs. and maybe there will be a fw fix too.

@roadworker: that doesn’t sound too good, i already thought this is a possible candidate :frowning:

but maybe there is still hope for the 506cb and eac?

while searching i stumbled over this samsung dvd drive: SE-B18AB. i wonder how this one gets along with eac?

I am limited by USB 2.0. Should I just purchase a BRXL-PC6U2B or SE-506CB/RSBD or purchase an enclosure and large drive? I want to use it to backup data, possibly rip video discs…

Data is more important.

From what you said in the chat box, you already know the Samsung 506CB has a firmware bug that wasn’t fixed in the first update made available, but ignoring that…

You could get a full-sized LG already built as an external drive and maybe burn a bit faster (even if you still have a limitation on the max speed because of USB 2.0). Where are you ordering the drive from? Maybe you can get one like what Kerry56 suggested elsewhere: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Super-Multi-External-BE14NU40/dp/B00ACOQF2Q

I have one of those. And a very good drive that is too.

Is that drive riplocked?