Advice buying Sony to OC Liteon?

Any advice to buy Sony CRX-195AE1 retail (40x12x48) to OC Liteon LTR-48125W or Sony CRX-210AE1 retail (48x12x48) to OC to Liteon
(if anybody managed to do OC for sure this moment and if it is Liteon !)

Note : I intend to buy Sony because in my country Greece Liteon drives is not available and also for 2 more reasons :
a) Sony drives looks better in contruction quality (case,tray etc) as other current 48x available drives from Plextor ,TDK,Teac ,Benq etc
in my country market (most of them OEM ,bulk)
b) The price this moment ! -Sony CRX-195AE1 costs 80euro and Sony CRX-210AE1- 90euro -a step before the “cheapest and not
good” Artec 48x12x48 also in 80euro ! (btw Plextor bulk 48x24x48 costs 190euro ,TDK 48x24x48 retail 140euro ,Teac 40x12x48 OEM
120 euro, Asus 48x16x48 retail 140 euro but also looks strong in construction…)

I have read many test,opinions,articles,and i think Liteon LTR-48125W is good buy ,but the upgrade function by firmware is most important
to maintaince the drive modern for 1 year at least .So whats your opinion ,or to wait buying new model as Sony CRX-215AE1-48x24x48 (if it is Liteon…) or other ,waiting Christmas market in 52x32x52 or higher (as Nero supporting drives list mentioned as future CDRW )

Thank you in advance for your attention !

Gary
:bow:

Both the CRX195A1 and the CRX210A1 are overclockable. The CRX195 can be made 48X12X48 while the CRX210 can be overclocked to 52X24X52 right now.

Is the 52x24x52 good as the other Lite-on’s?
(DAE , Raw DAO writing, subchannel reading and writing)
or to wait for a test…
Every new technology (in this case Chipset support RW 24x)
have problems in the first products .And firmware maybe is not the solution in every situation . ( eg TDK drives 48x24x48 rumours
said problems writing in Ultra speed with the available in retail
CDRW ,also Yamaha drives make noise like high spin writing in RW ,and firmware not fix this problem until now officially in TDK for example)

Probably untill now LTR-48125W is the most reliable in the market according to opinions in forum, test, better even Plextor in true writing speed … :bow:

Following my opinion in previous post means “doubt for new best perfomance” , I just read this review:

Monday, October 21st, 2002
Lite-On LTR-48246S 48x24x48x CD-RW Review @ 3dXtreme
12:22 PM CST Posted By: Ian

The guys over at 3dXtreme have taken a brief look at the 48/24/48 CD-RW from Lite-On. Here’s part of their conclusion:
This drive is killer with the audio format. I am rather disappointed with data burn speeds. I was expecting faster data rates. I am overly happy with how well the drive handles audio cd’s. Extremely fast burn times. All these tests except for the CDRW test were done prior to me flashing the firmware. But from normal everyday use of the drive it appears the speeds for data are the same after the firmware was updated.
If you want to get an idea of what to expect from Lite-On’s new 48/24/48 CD-RW, head on over to 3dXtreme and check out their review.

I have no idea where our LTR-48236S is. I guess it got lost in the mail or something. However, we will be skipping the drive and looking at Lite-On’s 52/24/48 CD-RW instead.

(Source : www.cdrlabs.com)

Review on:

http://www.3dxtreme.org/liteon48246sp1.shtml

:bow:

overclocked my sony 195 to 48-12-48 using windows flash utility.Works great, added mt rainier support too.

Did you use Lite-ON firmware texascbx?

edit
Nevermind, you couldn’t have… did I email you the windows flasher?

check me page ut… the Liteon and sonys are exactly the same hardware, just firmwares are slightly diferent.

sony has a default 40x speed and you press the eject button for 5 secs to enable Turbo mode (ie 48x)

for more info goto:

I’ll put the Liteon 52x24x52 edited version (SONY ID TAG) on me site…

http://kickme.to/sony210

I just read this message :

I purchased one of these 48x24x48 Sony drives at Best Buy. I suspect that it may be a Lite-On, but was surprised to see the LED is only GREEN, whether writing OR reading, unlike other Lite-On drives, which show RED for burning. The firmware revision is SYS2.

I was also surprised to see that Nero Infotool didn’t show Mt. Rainier as an option, which the previous Sony CRX210 drives did, and if it’s I Lite-On it should show Mt. Rainier. I don’t have any packet writing software installed, so do I need INCD or similar program installed to show Mt. Rainier is installed?
> Any info would be appreciated!

The green LED thing is normal. Official Sony CRX195E1 firmwares (ZYS2, ZYS3, and ZYS5) have green LED’s, but when you use another Lite-ON firmware, the LED glows Red as well.