Advice - 811S or PX-708A?

Hi All,

1. Price not being and issue (811S=£115 - PX-708A=£145 - Both retail - 2 yrs warranty on the Plextor though) which one to get and why?

2. I know the PX-708A will write @8x on media {DV 377} Arita 4X DVD+R & {DV 385} RICOH 4x branded 4.7g DVD+R - from SVP, what media is confirmed to write @8x on the 811S with good results?

3. Which of the two drives deals with copy protection the best?
    I have had liteons for years because of the extra features i.e raw etc - is this carried across to the 811S or PX-708A?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments you can offer :wink:

L8ters

Bill

As a LiteON fan, and if price is not a concern, and must advise your to get the Plextor 708A. AFAIK it will burn at 8x with more discs than the 811S.

Originally posted by Wild_Bill
[B]Hi All,

1. Price not being and issue (811S=£115 - PX-708A=£145 - Both retail - 2 yrs warranty on the Plextor though) which one to get and why?

2. I know the PX-708A will write @8x on media {DV 377} Arita 4X DVD+R & {DV 385} RICOH 4x branded 4.7g DVD+R - from SVP, what media is confirmed to write @8x on the 811S with good results?

3. Which of the two drives deals with copy protection the best?
    I have had liteons for years because of the extra features i.e raw etc - is this carried across to the 811S or PX-708A?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments you can offer :wink:

L8ters

Bill [/B]

1: I’ll leave that up to you to decide.

2: the LDW-811 should work fine with the two mentioned brands at 8X. Taiyo yuden and mitsubishi 4X DVD+R should also work at 8X - just like with the plextor.

3: I’ll say they’re about the same (if the LDW-811S is as good as the LDW-411S), but the plextor is faster at reading protected music discs.

Since the LDW-811S seems to perform more or less the same as the LDW-411S this is my comments based on my experience with the LDW-411S:

• Plextor is faster (a few seconds less write time) at CD-R writing - but the Lite-On offers much better CD-R write quality.

-Plextor is faster at 8X DVD+R and writes DVD+R discs that is marginally better than the Lite-On written DVD+R discs.

-Plextor have a bit better DVD-media compatibility.

-Lite-On have superior write quality on most DVD-R discs it supports compared to the plextor. (YES this is true!!).

Lite-On have a better bundle in my opion (includes a 4X DVD+RW disc that is useful!).

For me it would be a hard choice, probably would have got the Lite-On since I like to play around with K-Probe that only works with Lite-On drives as well as the excellent CD-R and DVD-R write quality. On the other side plextor is a good brand name, 2 year warranty and plextools…

Not a easy pick…

Thanks for your time - Much appreciated :wink:

I posted a link if the Plextor forum ( http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80362 ) linking back to here, so as to get some Plextor owners views - reference your quote “Plextor is faster (a few seconds less write time) at CD-R writing - but the Lite-On offers much better CD-R write quality.”

In the other thread there is now a contradiction reference the CD-R write quality :confused:

Do you, or anyone know if this is personal preference, media quality or provable testing results?

Cheers

Bill

[B]Hi All,

Bill [/B]

Where can you get PX708A (retail) for £145? Is this including or excluding VAT? Dabs.com are selling LDW811S for £114 and PX708A for £171 including VAT.

Originally posted by amah1
Where can you get PX708A (retail) for £145? Is this including or excluding VAT? Dabs.com are selling LDW811S for £114 and PX708A for £171 including VAT.

Sorry - Small typo - But you can get the Plextor for £149.99 Including VAT from SVP - http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hardware_Section__.html - Dabs are not always the cheapest :eek:

L8ters

Bill.

[B]Thanks for your time - Much appreciated :wink:

I posted a link if the Plextor forum ( http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80362 ) linking back to here, so as to get some Plextor owners views - reference your quote “Plextor is faster (a few seconds less write time) at CD-R writing - but the Lite-On offers much better CD-R write quality.”

In the other thread there is now a contradiction reference the CD-R write quality :confused:

Do you, or anyone know if this is personal preference, media quality or provable testing results?

Cheers

Bill [/B]

Well as said this is only true if the LDW-811S is as good as the LDW-411S at CD-Writing.

Because the LDW-411S (read my review on the frontpage) is far superior at write quality compared to any other writer I’ve had, including the PX-708A.

If interested I may include some K-Probe scans from the PX-708A to compare with the results in my LDW-411S review.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Well as said this is only true if the LDW-811S is as good as the LDW-411S at CD-Writing.

Because the LDW-411S (read my review on the frontpage) is far superior at write quality compared to any other writer I’ve had, including the PX-708A.

If interested I may include some K-Probe scans from the PX-708A to compare with the results in my LDW-411S review. [/B]

Thanks - read the reviews on CDFreaks last night - indepth - excellent :wink:

I am not too convinced with K-Probe, the same disk read by different readers gives totally different results - so not sure if we are testing the actual disk or the readers ability - and because the util is liteons, lets just hope that Liteoen are not following Nvidia’s example of cheats / detection that can vastly alter results :eek: {Flame Suit on due to being cynical} - lol.

Bill.

-Wild_Bill-

Have a look at this review:

:bigsmile:

[B]Thanks - read the reviews on CDFreaks last night - indepth - excellent :wink:

I am not too convinced with K-Probe, the same disk read by different readers gives totally different results - so not sure if we are testing the actual disk or the readers ability - and because the util is liteons, lets just hope that Liteoen are not following Nvidia’s example of cheats / detection that can vastly alter results :eek: {Flame Suit on due to being cynical} - lol.

Bill. [/B]

(this counts for DVD-media only)

I could only say that in 90% of the cases where there is playback problems (stuttering, blocky movie etc) the scanning result in K-Probe is also very bad.

For the last 10% K-Probe may show better results than expected - probably because there is other problems like jitter, reflectivity or tracking problems that K-Probe is unable to measure.

For CD-R media I may use Nero CD-Speed or plextools to show you that the Lite-On writes better discs than the plextor if that pleases you :slight_smile:

For CD-R disc scanning I’ve no concerns with using K-Probe as I’ve found it to be pretty reliable as long as a CD-Writer is used to measure.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B](this counts for DVD-media only)

For CD-R media I may use Nero CD-Speed or plextools to show you that the Lite-On writes better discs than the plextor if that pleases you :slight_smile:

[/B]

Do you find this to be media specific i.e The Liteon can write to certain media better than the 708A, and vices versa?

Or a general overview ?

Thanks

Bill

Lite-On = Writes all tested CD-R media GREAT (read the review :wink: ).
Plextor = Writes most media GREAT and some media only GOOD (plasmon and Moser Baer for example) and a few (one type found only - Memorex 48X CD-R media, works excellent in the Lite-on though) it gets a power calibration error on.

Did you happen to try or do you know if the 708A can copy the following protections the 411S cannot ?

Motoracer 3 – Tages, Flåklypa – CD-Cops, GTA Vice City - SecuROM v4.84.69 0071 and the following with CloneCD - C&C: Generals – Safedisc v2.80.10 & The Sims: Superstar –
Safedisc v2.90.40.

Cheers

Bill.

Motoracer 3 – Tages = Nope
Flåklypa – CD-Cops = Nope
GTA Vice City - SecuROM v4.84.69 0071 = Nope
C&C: Generals – Safedisc v2.80.10 & The Sims: Superstar –
Safedisc v2.90.40. = Yes, when using Blindwrite to copy.

In other words: The same as the LDW-411S :slight_smile:

Both drives may be able to make working GTA Vice city backups by using tricks like Twin peaks etc…not tested this though.