Adobe reader

vbimport

When trying to open certain programs, usually for instruction on products I have purchased, I get the following message. " There is a problem with Adobe/Acrobat/Reader. If running please exit and try again (6:6)", Does not help to exit. I have uninstalled Adobe Reader & Acrobat and re-installed to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated.

It sounds like Adobe Reader is not installed properly, but we need to know more about your System. What OS to you have, and is it up to date? You have to check the Adobe Web Site and install the latest Reader. :cool:

I don’t have Adobe reader at all on this machine and I get along fine. Google Chrome has a pretty good PDF reader built in. There are lots of alternatives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software

[QUOTE=alchav21;2602436]It sounds like Adobe Reader is not installed properly, but we need to know more about your System. What OS to you have, and is it up to date? You have to check the Adobe Web Site and install the latest Reader. :cool:[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply, I stated that I installed the latest version, I have Win 7Home professional, a 6 month old Asus with a 1 T HD, IntelCore5 with all MIcrosoft updates, still have the problem.

I agree that you should get rid of the bloated-useless adobe reader.

I personally use the portable version of pdf-xchange-viewer :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2602432]When trying to open certain programs, usually for instruction on products I have purchased, I get the following message. " There is a problem with Adobe/Acrobat/Reader. If running please exit and try again (6:6)", Does not help to exit. I have uninstalled Adobe Reader & Acrobat and re-installed to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Could you identify what programs your referring to when you get that error message? Reader opens pdf programs and what your saying “open certain programs” is vague and it should only open pdf files not programs. So I think your trying to have reader open programs it doesn’t recognize or have the correct format to open with. That is the part I am confused about its for opening pdf files but sounds like your trying to make it open something else or the other file or programs is corrupted causing Reader to stop.

Inspired by this thread, I just got FoXit Reader and I gotta say ‘WOW’!

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2602447]Thanks for the reply, I stated that I installed the latest version, I have Win 7Home professional, a 6 month old Asus with a 1 T HD, IntelCore5 with all MIcrosoft updates, still have the problem.[/QUOTE]

I guess you have Win 7 Home, Professional is the upgraded version. Others have suggested different Readers, I have never had problems with Adobe Reader. I have Windows 7 Professional, and Adobe Reader 9 Version 9.4.5. Can you open Adobe Reader just by clicking the Icon. If you can’t and get the same message, it’s a bad install. Uninstall Adobe Reader, and make sure it uninstalls completely. You have to go to the Adobe Web Site and get the Clean Uninstall Tool. Then get the latest Adobe Reader from their Web Site. :cool:

I agree with olyteddy, get Foxit Reader and dump Adobe.

[QUOTE=geno888;2602487]I agree that you should get rid of the bloated-useless adobe reader.[/quote]+1 :slight_smile:

I personally use the portable version of pdf-xchange-viewer :slight_smile:
+1 :slight_smile:

Michael

I have adobe acrobat pro X and haven’t had any problems like the OP meaning or problem opening pdf files. But if pdf files don’t open in reader or acrobat and since we have no more details of the problem it is hard to know is really going on with their Adobe Reader program.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2602508]Inspired by this thread, I just got FoXit Reader and I gotta say ‘WOW’![/QUOTE]

That may be the case but so far my experience with Acrobat Pro X hasn’t had any problem as the OP has mention so far.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2602595]I have adobe acrobat pro X and haven’t had any problems like the OP meaning or problem opening pdf files. [/QUOTE]Well, investing USD 449 (full version from adobe.com) is not an option for everyone :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2602607]Well, investing USD 449 (full version from adobe.com) is not an option for everyone :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]

We do have to hear back from the OP, the paid version is always better but I have always used just the Reader with no problems. You can get Adobe Reader from different places, and no telling what these places will put in that software. Adobe software is Rock Solid, and dealing with them is always the best idea. :cool:

I recommend removing all the Adobe related products. Then remove all the folders of Adobe related products. Then open up the registry editor and remove all Adobe related keys. After that reboot and try reinstalling again.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2602697]I recommend removing all the Adobe related products. Then remove all the folders of Adobe related products. Then open up the registry editor and remove all Adobe related keys. After that reboot and try reinstalling again.[/QUOTE]

Download and install Revo uninstaller and it will remove all trace in one go.
I highly recommend it for uninstalling every thing down to the last registry entry.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2602607]Well, investing USD 449 (full version from adobe.com) is not an option for everyone :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]

That is all too true … but I guess I have to live with it now… :confused: That required sacrificing other fun things to get … :doh:

The most important thing to do-completely uninstall Adobe Reader and all of its entries. You should use the Adobe uninstaller. If you are not comfortable with working with the Registry-then DON’T.
I have been using Foxit Reader and it does everything that Adobe did-without the bloat and other issues. They have terrific real support, if you ever need it. There are other PDF viewer/readers out there, but Foxit seems to be bulletproof in Windows 7 (any flavor) and XP as well.

My personal favourite is Sumatra PDF. It’s a little less bloated than Foxit, completely free and can read 99% of the pdf’s you throw at it. It even has a standalone (no installation needed) version.

After reading this thread yesterday, I deleted/uninstalled Adobe Reader and installed pdf-xchange-viewer…Thanks for the tip/recommendation guys…:wink:
And thanks to the OP for the thread…:slight_smile: