Adobe Premier Pro CS3 work with DVD’s?

vbimport

Does this product work with DVD’s? I couldn’t find a way to import a DVD directly and tried to copy / rename VOB’s to mpg’s , but that doesn’t import properly. DVD-RAM files don’t work either. These are all set-top recorded so that eliminates copy-protections. I understand that these are all “MPEG 2” files. Isn’t this a “standard”? Why won’t it work with CS3?

Try VOB2MPG, that will make a vanilla MPEG from a VOB. As to whether Adobe can import MPEG, you’ll have to RTFM.

It does import mpeg and says it supports it. But when I try the files it doesn’t work. They are like “broken” when I import them and it doesn’t come out right. The funny thing is that when I installed CS3 it broke my WMP mpg playing too. At least for the files I had. I guess I can look into the VOB2MPG and see if that help. Thanks.

Nope.

VOB2MPG didn’t work. It looks like all it did was join the VOB’s (if separate) and renamed it to a single .mpg file. I guess this little software has its limited uses for people without other options and little computer knowledge.

It plays fine in VLC Media Player…as does all my other mpgs. It’s just like the ones from my set-top DVD recorder as well as mpg’s generated from Nero. I know they are good because I can upload to Youtube and they work. But none of these files can be imported properly to Premier. It doesn’t even look like it imports it all because it takes a couple of seconds for a long video.

Is this one of those things where Adobe / Apple limit support for MPEG 2 to “specific” variants because of competition?

You know what funny? I just tried Adobe Encore CS3 and it CAN play those files. Go figure.
I guess what can you expect from a $2,500 software package. :shrug:

Actually…I spoke too soon. When trying to “import” it in Encore it says “File not supported”. Iy just plays it properly lol

A bunch of comments I’ve collected which may help you:

Premiere really doesn’t import Mpeg very well. You would be better off converting it to an AVI format or editing in Womble or VideoRedo, or any Mpeg editor. If you want to use Premiere, best to convert to an AVI format (remember, AVI is a container not an actual format) with low compression, like a DV type format.

Another software that could help with this conversion is Super which you can get here: http://www.erightsoft.net/S6Kg1.html (download link at the bottom of the page) but read all the instructions carefully…!

Importing and exporting MPEG files in Premiere

Although Premiere can import and export MPEG files, Adobe recommends that you don’t use MPEG files as source files in a Premiere project. Instead, use MPEG as the final output format of your project. MPEG files don’t lend themselves to editing because the video frames in an MPEG file aren’t self-contained. That is, any given video frame contains only the information that has changed from the previous frame. During editing, a previous frame required to fully decompress a given frame may not be present, resulting in poor quality of the final rendered frame.

[quote=deanimator;2036156]A bunch of comments I’ve collected which may help you:

Another software that could help with this conversion is Super which you can get here: http://www.erightsoft.net/S6Kg1.html (download link at the bottom of the page) but read all the instructions carefully…!

From : http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/325980.html[/quote]

Thanks for the help. I actually came across those quotes as well looking into it too.

Yeah well, if it can import it well enough to play it in encore, it should be able to “recode” it for you to avi or whatever else it “prefers” no matter what losses it claims Mpeg has. What kind of policy is that? All…or…None-at-All??? Nothing is ever perfect, but to disreagard such a common format because it’s “not perfect” while other “cheap” software like Nero and every other freeware can do it is inexcusable. It should be automatically supported in the UI but they don’t even have an external tool for you to use. That’s why Macs suck with their proprietary “niche” crap all the time.

Just a follow-up FYI for some of you who might be using Adobe CS3…
I found around that there are some issues with DVD authoring. For example, Encode produced DVD’s don’t work on all players. So if you’re planning on making DVD’s and such, you’re probably safer using some other software like Nero or something. Overall, it seems I keep encountering road-blocks with Adobe stuff. Don’t know if it’s because I’m not using formats they “recommend” (a.k.a. “require” I suppose), or it’s just an unfinished product. Must be, because my Adobe toolbar on the browser for PDF conversion and stuff doesn’t even do anything when you click on it! LOL

ramasyean - Just because you had problems with Adobe Premiere CS3, doesn’t mean that Nero is better. In fact the opposite is true.
Nero is one of the lowest quality dvd softwares… Adobe is one of the top… But as with anything, there is no, one perfect software.

Entry Level - Nero, Pinnacle Studio, Ulead Studio, convertx2dvd, etc…

Prosumer or mid level is Adobe Premiere Elements, Vegas Movie Studio, and other similar softwares…

Professional - Adobe Premiere CS, Vegas Video 5,6,7, etc…, Avid Xpress, Pinnacle Liquid Edition…

Here’s my experience I hope helps others with this issue I’ve seen on forums everywhere. In short - it looks like Adobe removed support for VOBs (beginning with CS3?), probably by pressure from film industry (lawsuits???).

Premier Pro 2 (PP2) accepted VOBs and I used them in many projects without a problem. After upgrading to CS3, none of my projects with VOBs would work and Adobe says it does not support the file format. I was faced with a huge problem. Below are the steps I took to work around … might I say without success - so save yourself time. At the end, as in just 10 minutes ago, I reinstalled PP2 and the same projects work with VOBs as usual - those saved after opening CS3 no longer open in PP2. I simultaneously have CS3 installed. With unprotected DVDs, I simply copy/paste the VOB I need and works perfectly imported into PP2.

VOB to MPG - I tried changing the file extension, redirect the link, but no audio.

MPG to MPG2 with Sorensen Squeeze: I converted several VOBs to MPEG2 using Squeeze; most did not separate audio or even allow changing audio output settings resulting in useless .mpg videos … but a few did. With more research on forums I discovered that VOBs encoded with AC3 audio don’t work. The DVD that worked had uncompressed audio - Squeeze exported m2a and m2v files I could use in CS3. I was lucky to have this happen early otherwise I would not have known why.

For the majority of my VOBs, I tried almost every VOB2MPG program I could find and nothing worked - SmartRipper seemed to work to export audio alone, but mostly not, DVD shrink VOBs no luck.

Over the years I’ve installed many codecs; however, it’s my opinion that Adobe removed support for VOBs without telling customers, sneaky basta ___ds.

Bottom line: complain to Adobe and pressure them to add VOB support or reinstall Premier Pro 2. It’s ridiculous that such an expensive product and company that claims to compete with Final Cut doesn’t support VOBs. I upgraded because I got a Vista 64bit laptop.

Going forward I’ll probably use PP2 to import VOB and export for use in CS3 if that.

So take a close look at the differences before you decide to upgrade, you may not need it. The only reason might be for HD/Blu-Ray. There are alternatives.

I have Premier Pro. I also have hours of vob files that I have tried unsuccessfully converting to .avi with several converters. How do I import a vob file? You could save me hours. I’ve been fighting this battle for months and really don’t want to go back to my vhs tapes, converting and capturing.