Adobe: ‘Don’t use Flash’ – it’s insecure and doesn’t work on mobile

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Adobe: ‘Don’t use Flash’ – it’s insecure and doesn’t work on mobile[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/04/myce-adobe-flash-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Adobe has started to advise against the use of its Flash plugin. Flash suffers from security issues and doesn’t work on mobile.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/adobe-dont-use-flash-its-insecure-and-doesnt-work-on-mobile-77949/](http://www.myce.com/news/adobe-dont-use-flash-its-insecure-and-doesnt-work-on-mobile-77949/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

doesn’t work on mobile? Bollocks, that thing worked fine on kitkat long after they pulled support and the same apk continues to work on lollipop (havent updated my devices yet to marshmallow, due lack of stable SuperSU). Flash works fine on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 v2

I wish websites would get their asses in to gear and dump Flash, even the BBC iplayer uses it. :eek:

Not too interesting really as it has been known for years, only now Adobe admits to it. There is a balance here which, like walking a tight rope, has to be executed carefully.
Our computer is not safe either for that matter, and we have seen it with Java which has become less in terms of usability with its rigid policy (no offline gaming a.s.o.). Flash has it’s usage and it can be pretty much tamed by the user, trouble is not too many knows how.
They are ‘yodelling’ about HTML5/XML, sure, but how long will it be before that turns out to be a piece of Swiss cheese just like anything else web-enabled?

The secure alternative has to be asked for before we eagerly dump anything as we can be opening Pandora’s box with the next technology we embrace.
In my mind, the sheer number of youtube videos alone will make sure Flash will exist for quite some time still.

The recent downvote in ‘gøggel’ searces for flash-enabled sites is, as I see it, all the craze is about… It is also my clear understanding of the case that this is Adobe, as the captain, trying to jump the sinking ship before the passengers.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764376]Not too interesting really as it has been known for years, only now Adobe admits to it. There is a balance here which, like walking a tight rope, has to be executed carefully.[/QUOTE]
That can’t be said enough…here…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764376]Our computer is not safe either for that matter, and we have seen it with Java which has become less in terms of usability with its rigid policy (no offline gaming a.s.o.). Flash has it’s usage and it can be pretty much tamed by the user, trouble is not too many knows how.[/QUOTE]
That’s the problem they tought how good security is only to find out it’s not so as they claimed.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764376]They are ‘yodelling’ about HTML5/XML, sure, but how long will it be before that turns out to be a piece of Swiss cheese just like anything else web-enabled?[/QUOTE]It has it’s own flaws - just wait and it will come out and they will excuse it as growing pains…that is a load of BS.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764376]The secure alternative has to be asked for before we eagerly dump anything as we can be opening Pandora’s box with the next technology we embrace.
In my mind, the sheer number of youtube videos alone will make sure Flash will exist for quite some time still.[/QUOTE]
That’s the problem try to kill the horse that has gotten out of the barn is alot harder then they say it is.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764376]The recent downvote in ‘gøggel’ searces for flash-enabled sites is, as I see it, all the craze is about… It is also my clear understanding of the case that this is Adobe, as the captain, trying to jump the sinking ship before the passengers.[/QUOTE]Unless something else is better then Flash it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. HTML5 for all it glitz has flaws that will show up. And those programmers know it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2764379]That can’t be said enough…here…

It has it’s own flaws - just wait and it will come out and they will excuse it as growing pains…that is a load of BS.
Flash is not going anywhere anytime soon. HTML5 for all it glitz has flaws that will show up. And those programmers know it.[/QUOTE]

You have a good point there, known and some less known flaws already. My entire experience tells me there will be many more, a matter of fact and necessity to grow up for most, man and logical code, it seems :wink:
What I do not automatically understand is why quit a (so far) winning team. I instead start reasoning: Is the old not up to standards? I think it still is. (Unknown threats calculated) What will the new technology add to the foundation already present?
Security is somewhat divine and best handled by security-minded people. After all, it is hard enough just programming the features :iagree:
In this world, relying on 3-rdparty DLL’s et all, you could become vulnerable unknowingly and whatever you do not know, turn to the open society, could earn many to work with to broaden the horizon, not that I see it happening :disagree:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764384]In this world, relying on 3-rdparty DLL’s et all, you could become vulnerable unknowingly and whatever you do not know, turn to the open society, could earn many to work with to broaden the horizon, not that I see it happening :disagree:[/QUOTE]
Any plugin you use will have security flaws they aren’t 100% foolproof to otherwise why would they need updating? One has to weight the Pro/Con of using them and making sure to keep them up to date. And also if you go to those Black-site -then why wouldn’t you think that you would get hacked? That doesn’t take a Rocket Scientists to know if you go there you will get what you asked for.

@voxmart, you can use html5 beta on bbc iplayer now:Â http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5

@Xercus: Youtube isn’t an example of why Flash won’t die. After all, YouTube uses HTML5 by default on most browsers.