Adding subs to avi file

vbimport

I am trying to add subs to an avi file. I found this

Does one have to type in all the subs

Does anyone know an easier way

I’m pretty inexperienced at adding subs . I had a movie a while back I wanted subs in because it was in French with no other language selection.
I found a couple of websites that had subs in various forms . I downloaded a couple of them & tried to add them. They ended up poorly synced & not very accurate. That may not be the case with all subs available this way.

Many players will find and play the subtitle file if it is in the same folder as the avi video file. It needs the same title as the avi file, but with the appropriate file extension, in other words, avimovie.srt or avimovie.sub, depending on what type of subtitles you have.

You can burn in subtitles permanently using lots of different tools. AviDemux can do this if you reencode the video and use one of the subtitle filters.

Does it have to be in avi format? Other container formats are better with subtitles. MKV or MP4 would work with a selectable subtitle stream. You could use Mkvtoolnix (mkvmergeGUI within that set of tools) and input your avi file and a subtitle file and produce an mkv file with both.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2603906]Many players will find and play the subtitle file if it is in the same folder as the avi video file. It needs the same title as the avi file, but with the appropriate file extension, in other words, avimovie.srt or avimovie.sub, depending on what type of subtitles you have.

You can burn in subtitles permanently using lots of different tools. AviDemux can do this if you reencode the video and use one of the subtitle filters.

[B]Does it have to be in avi format?[/B] Other container formats are better with subtitles. MKV or MP4 would work with a selectable subtitle stream. You could use Mkvtoolnix (mkvmergeGUI within that set of tools) and input your avi file and a subtitle file and produce an mkv file with both.[/QUOTE]not really but is quicker as can play on stand alone from USB on LG BD350 without conversion. How come avi will play on USB but not DVD?

How come avi will play on USB but not DVD?

AFAIK, some players will play/support AVI on DVD disc, but burned as DATA only…
Your best bet would be to keep playing from USB with no conversion whatsoever, just have the avi and srt in same folder and same title (as kerry56 stated)…Or convert AVI to DVD format if you want DVD player compatibility/support …Google DVD specs…It’s a good read…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2603927][B]AFAIK, some players will play/support AVI on DVD disc, but burned as DATA onl[/B]y…
Your best bet would be to keep playing from USB with no conversion whatsoever, or convert AVI to DVD format if you want DVD player comparability/support …Google DVD specs…It’s a good read…[/QUOTE]must try that

I have DVDflick no prob doing it just quicker with avi on USB straight to stand alone player

[QUOTE=david banner;2603929]must try that

I have DVDflick no prob doing it just quicjker with avi on USB straight to stand alone player[/QUOTE]

Yes much quicker and most importantly (IMO) no conversion…As Kerry56 stated above, using the .mkv container has some advantages, i.e supports many more formats/codecs/streams etc, than does the AVI container…Just have to check what exactly your player(s) support…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2603931][B]Yes much quicker and most importantly (IMO) no conversion…[/B]As Kerry56 stated above, using the .mkv container has some advantages, i.e supports many more formats/codecs/streams etc, than does the AVI container…Just have to check what exactly your player(s) support…[/QUOTE]you mean burning as data?

Yes i was able to burn avi file as data and play on dvd on stand alone player . Thanks [B]t0nee1

[/B][B]Still need to put subs on the avi[/B]
[B][/B]

One one film having an avi and an srt in the one folder I can burn with BurnAware Free as a data and the subs will on film. The only thing is both must have same name as
myfilm.avi
myfilm.srt

But it does not work when the same process is followed with another film. The one it work ned on had its own subs. so playing on standalone had two sets of subs. Turned off theirs and left on mine