Adding Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250 gb to my system

Hello all!

My System config is AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 128 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB.

HDD is Seagate ST340810A 40GB Hard Drive (Ultra ATA/100, 5,400 RPM, 2MB - MPN: ST340810A).

Please let me know whether I can install Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250 gb to my current system configuration without doing any system upgradation. Please also let me know with the installation of Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250 gb, the system will work without any problems.

Thank you

Yes you can just plug it into the USB and it will install automatically.

Thank you

But HDD speed of Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250 gb is 7200 rpm
Will my motherboard support this speed?Now my current HDD speed is 5400 rpm? Please clarify.

Yes don’t worry about the speed, it will be just faster at accessing your data to and from the host. Also this is plug and play device, so this means you can take it with you were ever you go and use it in any computer. Nice drive buy the way. :smiley:

[QUOTE=kar85;1959759]Hello all!

My System config is AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 128 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB.

HDD is Seagate ST340810A 40GB Hard Drive (Ultra ATA/100, 5,400 RPM, 2MB - MPN: ST340810A).

Please let me know whether I can install Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250 gb to my current system configuration without doing any system upgradation. Please also let me know with the installation of Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250 gb, the system will work without any problems.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Should have no problem with an external USB HD. I have a similar system, and added an internal Seagate 250 GB HD. My board manufacturer (ECS) on their website said that 250 was the largest size that would work, but evidently, if it will take a 250, it should take any size.
So, you should have no issues with any size HD, even a TB size.

Added: However, you would want to make sure that you have USB 2.0. If you are running with USB 1.1 ( I had to buy an internal 2.0 card, as my board only had 1.1), it will be slow as molasses, even slower that your 5400 RPM 40 GB HD.

lemme add one thing to it, if you are running on XP with at least service pack 1, then you have no problem installing it, all you have to do is plug it in assuming your system already have the USB drivers installed (Intel Chipset/Via Chipset/NVIDIA chipset software installed) then the system will recognize it automatically and you dont have to do anything. And if you have XP and dont have any services pack installed or older OS, then you have to install the driver that comes with your Seagate Free Agent. Let us know if you need more help