Adding Ram

I’m new to this forum and would like to say hello. My name is Scott. I have recently started burning DVD’s. I’m pretty ignorant on most technical matters. I am trying to learn more since I started burning DVD’s. Before all I did was use what was necessary and never really cared how things worked. I hope these are not stupid questions:

I am using a notebook computer, HP Compaq nx7400 with 1 GB of RAM. I ran the Everest Home Edition program and was given the following Ram details. BELOW

I would like to add 1GB of RAM. The nx7400 uses2 bank(s) of 1 Socket(s) each for a total of 2 memory sockets. From what I can tell only one socket has been used. What ram would be most compatible and how can I tell if it is 200 or 240 pin. I found this ram locally. http://www.digitec.ch/?param=cms&wert=digitec_systeme
Is this a good product and would it work for me?

Memory Slots:
DRAM Slot #1 1024 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Speed DDR2-667 (333 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Name Hyundai HYMP512S64BP8-Y5

My computer specs are;
Windows® XP Professional Windows Vista Capableâ€
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 1.83 GHz 667 MHz 2 MB
Chipset Mobile Intel® 945GM Express
Processor type Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
Memory Available memory 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Storage Hard drive controller SATA
Hard drive 100 GB (5400 rpm) SATA
Optical drive DVD+/-RW SuperMulti with Double Layer Technology
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S

Thank you for your feedback,

Crucial should show all the RAM details of your model. Then make sure that the RAM you buy matches the specs. Example:

Crucial Part Number: CT541778
Module Size: 512MB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
Configuration: 64Meg x 64
DIMM Type: UNBUFFERED
Error Checking: NON-ECC
Speed: 667
SDRAM Timings: CL=5
Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64

Have a look here.

http://home.pacbell.net/dbk4297/memory_what_kind.html

:cool: :cool:

Welcome to the forum.

Could I ask why you need more RAM?

Ditto (same as tim), why more ram… I have 1gb on my system, and I do extensive photoshop and video editing/encoding, and still I’m not using all my available ram.

Looking at other posts here and on other boards people have stated that on new computers they should have or wished they had taken the additional ram. My understanding is that ram allows the operating system to operate at peak, multitask etc. I feel really stupid now as it sounds as if 1 GB is plenty. I have been doing more with Adobe Photoshop and just ordered a Plextor PX-760A, 18x DVD±RW Writer, and a Sarotech MyBox FHD-524U2 external enclosure. I ordered this because my Matshita will not allow me to copy and/or play different regions. I live in Switzerland and copy both region 1 and 2 DVD’s. If I don’t need the ram that’s great, I thought it might be needed. Is more ram needed if using the new Vista?

Every new operating system that Microsoft delivers requires more memory.

Personally if I upgrade to Vista then I’ll see what happens. My 1GB is more than adequate with XP Pro.

What you’ve got should be more than adequate for now.

Does the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor require more ram than a non duo?

I appreciate your advice as I really am trying to learn as I go.