Adding music to VRD edited movie?

vbimport

I just pulled some segments from several home movie DVDs using VideoReDo to create a DVD of my uncle’s family. I saved each segment individually so VRD would make everyone of these it’s own Chapter. I have the menu just the way I want it so hate to have to make any changes.

I exported it as an ISO file but if needed I could go back and export it as video_ts folder.

Now how do I go about adding songs to the movie so I’ll have a soundtrack… need something easy to use if possible?

I would also like to keep my menu’s intact if at all possible.

I hope Kerry56 can help you with VRD .
He has it & may know how to do what you want with it.

If not I have a few suggestions but it will remove the menu.
There are ways to save the menu you have with some software & add it back in but that is very involved. It would be easier & faster to do a new one with VRD I think.

Probably Audacity could join together an audio track of the length you want.

Do the various parts of the movie have any sound right now? Or are you talking about adding sound while the menu is playing?

I’m worn smooth out right now, but I’ll check back in the morning.

Kerry these are old 8mm movies we sent in to a place that converted them into dvds. These came with instrumental music accompanying the dvds although kind of boring.
You got me started with VRD almost three years ago helping me along the way to navigate the instructions. http://club.myce.com/f32/want-edit-home-movies-330136/index2.html

So after cutting segments out of each dvd to create a new dvd (using VRD) it DOES NOT have any music on it. I would like to have music playing while watching the movie just like the original dvds have… although different music.

Can I do this? Is it simple to do? Can I keep my menu’s VRD made intact?

I don’t know of a way to use VideoRedo to replace the audio streams. Like I said way back then, I don’t use it for authoring DVD’s very often, in fact, I haven’t used it for that purpose in the last three years. I don’t know why your music isn’t playing, but I’d bet the audio stream does still exist in there. Look at it with MediaInfo, using the text or tree views within MediaInfo.

I’ve mostly moved on to Blu-ray these days.

There is probably a way to do this with PGCEdit, but its not a tool that I have used often, and the person most experienced with it around here is Wombler, but he’s out of pocket at the moment. You can ask at the videohelp.com forum, where there are a lot more guys who know it.

What I would do would be to take the individual segments you selected and find the exact running time for each. MediaInfo can get you very close. Then I would make an audio file of that length in Audacity with the ffmpeg library installed for Audacity, and export as an ac3 file. Then demux the original segment, discarding the audio you don’t want and remux the video and new audio. The demux and remux can be done in AVStoDVD.

In AVStoDVD there is a separate demux tool, and to mux the new audio into the video stream you extract, you just import the video stream into AVStoDVD, then right click on it in the main window, which brings up a list of options, one being audio to import. Change the output in AVStoDVD from DVD-video to muxed mpg2 file.

But then you’d have to rebuild your menus. You’ve done it in VRD, so you know the drill, its just tedious to have to do it again.

But as I say, replacing the entire audio stream might very quick in PGCEdit, its just not something I do. Maybe cholla can help there, as he uses it too I believe.

Kerry is correct in that I have used PGCEdit some but with that Wombler helped me a lot. Mostly by PMs .
This thread covers the end result :

Read the part about replacing the Menu with PGCEdit .
I’m fairly certain the Menu I used & needed to work correctly was more complex than the one VRD created for you but I’m guessing a bit on that.

I haven’t used PGCEdit to replace audio streams in different titles on a menu.
I will have to look into that. (That may take a while).

I think AVStoDVD is a very good software .
I think you will only need to match the audio close to the length since it doesn’t have to be synced. (As long as it’s a bit shorter). that way you will get a short silence at the end.
This also depends on how AVStoDVD loads the VRD DVD . If it breaks it into seperate titles each with it’s own audio track then Kerry is correct in how to create the audio track for each with Audacity. I don’t know how a VRD DVD will load.
I have some multiple title DVDs I’ve created but these were done with DVDShrink ,AVStoDVD , & a menu creation software TitleWriter for the most part. I could look at one of those but that doesn’t mean it will load the same as a VRD DVD.

A commercial movie rip only has a single audio track or tracks for the whole movie if more than one language is used. (opened on AVStoDVD with the movie .IFO ) .

There are a couple more programs that may add & match the audio tracks but I’m not sure how they would work for your project . I’ve only used them for slideshows when adding “song” tracks. I think both can match the audio length to the video.
It’s been a while since I used them so I would need to check on how the would work on one of the multiple title DVDs I have before I would suggest using them.

The first thing I suggest is load the new DVD in VRD & see if it has a way to add audio tracks . If it does then that is the way I would do it .

If VRD doesn’t have that capability then I would use AVStoDVD to add the audio.
As above what you need to do depends on how AVStoDVD loads your DVD.

Then use Audacity to create what you need for the audio tracks. Several short tracks or one long one.

Then use VRD to create a new menu .

You can try to use the menu you already created by using PGCEdit but you better be prepared for some learning & time spent doing that. It’s not a one method fits all program & can get fairly individual on what you need to do to get it to “fix” a menu for a specific DVD.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2757765]I don’t know of a way to use VideoRedo to replace the audio streams. Like I said way back then, I don’t use it for authoring DVD’s very often, in fact, I haven’t used it for that purpose in the last three years. I don’t know why your music isn’t playing, but I’d bet the audio stream does still exist in there. Look at it with MediaInfo, using the text or tree views within MediaInfo.

I’ve mostly moved on to Blu-ray these days.

There is probably a way to do this with PGCEdit, but its not a tool that I have used often, and the person most experienced with it around here is Wombler, but he’s out of pocket at the moment. You can ask at the videohelp.com forum, where there are a lot more guys who know it.

What I would do would be to take the individual segments you selected and find the exact running time for each. MediaInfo can get you very close. Then I would make an audio file of that length in Audacity with the ffmpeg library installed for Audacity, and export as an ac3 file. Then demux the original segment, discarding the audio you don’t want and remux the video and new audio. The demux and remux can be done in AVStoDVD.

In AVStoDVD there is a separate demux tool, and to mux the new audio into the video stream you extract, you just import the video stream into AVStoDVD, then right click on it in the main window, which brings up a list of options, one being audio to import. Change the output in AVStoDVD from DVD-video to muxed mpg2 file.

But then you’d have to rebuild your menus. You’ve done it in VRD, so you know the drill, its just tedious to have to do it again.

But as I say, replacing the entire audio stream might very quick in PGCEdit, its just not something I do. Maybe cholla can help there, as he uses it too I believe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kerry I was hoping this was a simple process. I probably won’t get around to messing with this again until Monday so maybe Cholla will chime in before then.

I did ask for some help at videohelp.com and they did suggest two programs that might work but they weren’t sure. I’m kind of needing hand holding to walk me through this though.:wink: Two programs that were mentioned are the free version of VOB2MPG and trial version of Movie Studio 13 Platinum. It would be up to me to figure out how to use them.

Come Monday if nothing else has been suggested I will try following your suggestions but I’m sure I will have more questions.

My instructions were intended for you working with the segments, thinking you might want to use different music for each and it would be simple to make them this way.

If you want to use the ISO or a DVD-video extracted from it, you could use Vob2Mpeg to turn the entire thing into an mpeg file, then demux and remux a new audio stream into it. Matching different sources of music by time for each part of the video would be more difficult to make in Audacity, but could be done in a single audio stream.

This process also requires redoing the menus.

I agree with Kerry if each segment is a separate tittle then creating the audio track for each separately is the way to go. Even then if the segments are longer than one song you would need to combine the songs with Audacity for each segment.
I don’t have VRD so I don’t know the exact structure of the DVD it creates from segments is like.

Personally I don’t care for the Vob2Mpeg idea. It’s a good program but not for this.

The only way I even see a possibility of keeping the menu you already have is PGCEdit. I still think VRD would be a quicker way to do this.

@ mccoady , Are the audio tracks you plan to add 2 channel stereo ?

As that is what I plan to use on the method I’m working on.
6 channel audio is more complicated.

The multi-track DVD I’m working with just has 2 tracks becaues I thought this would be easier to test with.
The principal will be the same for more tracks.

When you open your DVD in DVDShrink /Reauthor does it have separate titles like this one?

Yes I’m wanting to add 2 channel stereo songs. Also yes that it looks similar to yours using DVDShrink.

I won’t have time to mess with this until in the morning but planned on at least posting back tonight. I don’t care that each segment or Chapter has its own song. I’m fine with just putting together one combined music file made of up several songs running the length of the movie. Unless you think it’s easier for each segment to have its own.

Oh and I posted on VRD forum asking if the software could replace the existing soundtrack and I got an answer. Even with these instructions I guess I’m still confused on how to actually do it. If what your working on is easier/better than I’m all in.

Thanks for trying to help me Cholla!

VRD Forum answer:

"I am assuming your files are MPEG-2

Load the file > Save Button > “Save As” > “Save as type” > “MPEG-2 Elementary Streams (*.m2v)” .
You end up with a file.m2v (video only file) and an audio only file of .ac3 or .mpa (whatever was in your file)

To put the video and audio back together again you go…

“Tools” (drop down menu) > “Elementary Stream Muxer”. Now you have a new separate window that says

“Elementary Stream Muxer”

There is a place to select the video(only) file that you separated out.
“Input Streams” > “Video”, and “Audio”

And the new audio file you want. (if the video and audio file have the same name the audio will be
automatically selected when the video file is selected)

“Output File” (give it a name)
Select the “Profile” wanted)

Click on “Start Mux” and you should have the new audio/old video file that you want.
O
If I remember correctly, VRD will cut the video file off at the length of the audio file if
the audio file is shorter… experiment".

They are just telling you to demux and remux using the tools within VDR. I’m used to using other tools that I have already described, though the one I use most often for demuxing DVD’s is PGCDemux.

The .m2v file is the standard video stream only that you get when you demux mpeg2. That’s what you’ll want to keep to combine with your new audio stream.

You’ll still have to build the audio in another tool. Audacity + the ffmpeg library is still the best bet. Output to ac3 for best compression/compatibility.

Good tip on the short audio. You might want to make it a few seconds longer than the video if VDR is going to clip the video. You’ll want it to adjust audio length instead.

And even with these instructions it sounds like you will be forced to remake the menus.

@ Kerry , I tried the AVStoDVD demux & it would be difficult to use for this.
Like you I prefer PGCDemux & it looks like it will work fine for the demux.

I also agree that the VRD instructions won’t save the menu.

@ mccoady , If each Title in the list in DVDShrink is a separate clip you created then I think it will have to have its’ own audio track.
If not each segment that has its’ own menu button will need to have its’ own audio track. Of close to the same length.

If what I’m working on is successful you will be using the original menu.
The catch to that is it may or may not work correctly.

Since my multi-track DVDs are composed of TV serials I put together & used several softwares. None of them VRD. I hope they are similar enough. In other words if mine work I hope yours will.

On the creation of the Audio tracks I’m just going to strip the audio out of some longer videos then shorten it to the correct length. Since I don’t care except they are different audio than original & work.

Audacity will let you combine several songs & you can cut those where you need .
To get the correct length. For example the last song wouldn’t need to finish on the video. It would just be filler.

Boy this is much more complicated than I first envisioned just to change the audio track. The original audio track is just a bunch of instrumentals running from the beginning of the movie to the end… no chapter has it’s own song.

I assumed this would be easy just replace the original audio with some songs running back to back the length of the movie. My segments or chapters run anywhere from 2:21 to 30:27 minutes so creating music for each would be pretty difficult or at least for me. These movies will probably be watched from beginning to end so I really doubt they will pay much attention to my Chapters… just thought they would be nice to have.

Is the reason why I can’t string songs back to back like the original because I want to keep the menu’s intact? If so then what would actually be involved if I said I can redo the menu’s. Would I have to cut the segments out again?

@ mccoady , Part of the problem I have is I don’t have VRD.
From what has been posted by you in #12 .
Let’s work from those instructions.
I fairly certain this will remove the menu.
If it doesn’t & the .m2v file has the menu also that is a problem.
Because the menu will just be part of the video & no longer a menu.

So try step #1 with VRD:
Load the file > Save Button > “Save As” > “Save as type” > “MPEG-2 Elementary Streams (*.m2v)” .
You end up with a file.m2v (video only file) and an audio only file of .ac3 or .mpa (whatever was in your file)

If this works correctly you will have two files .
Open the .m2v in VLC player or another player that play a .m2v file.
This is to make sure the menu is gone.

If the menu is gone then create a back to back audio track from songs.
You want to cut it to the same length as the .ac3 track that was demuxed.

If you use Audacty “export audio” it as an .ac3 file . Set the bit rate comparable to a regular .ac3 DVD file. I used 384 . This is under “Options” when you “export audio”.

Name this track the same as the demuxed .ac3 but don’t get them confused.
Add an “01” to the original so you can tell them apart & move it to another folder. or just delete the original.

Step #2 with VRD:
To put the video and audio back together again you go…

“Tools” (drop down menu) > “Elementary Stream Muxer”. Now you have a new separate window that says

“Elementary Stream Muxer”

There is a place to select the video(only) file that you separated out.
“Input Streams” > “Video”, and “Audio”

And the new audio file you want. [B](if the video and audio file have the same name the audio will be
automatically selected when the video file is selected)[/B]
[B]This is why you name the new file the same as the original demuxed file.[/B]

“Output File” (give it a name)
Select the “Profile” wanted)
[B]I’m assuming the “Profile” will be a DVD compliant folder. [/B]

Click on “Start Mux” and you should have the new audio/old video file that you want.

Then play this in VLC player to see what you have.

If this works then I will suggest two or three software that might remove the original menu & add it to the new DVD folder.

Main thing to do once you have the new folder is make a backup you aren’t going to work with except copy it if trying to add the menu messes the “work folder” up.

The first attempt to add the original menu is just going to be a “copy & paste”.
This would be the : VIDEO_TS.VOB , VIDEO_TS.IFO , & VIDEO_TS.BUP .
You can test play the VIDEO_TS.VOB to make sure it has the menu .
It needs to.
If this doesn’t work then you can try FixVTS on it.
So let’s see how this works & go to other software from there if necessary.

Thanks cholla but I guess I’m not even smart enough to figure out the first step. I load my DVD and try to save it but it makes me select/add a chapter before I can even save it. I haven’t figured out to save anything more than a chapter unless I create an ISO or video_ts. Guess I just don’t understand VRD that well.

Been working on this all afternoon and I’m about ready to say the heck with it. I have one day left on my trial and the way things are going I don’t know if it’s worth buying.

mccoady , I’m working in the dark as far as VRD is concerned.
I’ve never had it & was sort of waiting to get it for if I ever really needed it for a project. Since it seems like the trial is about to run out for you it looks like you might not be using it either.
I wish Kerry had came in more for help with VRD .
My guess is let it think you are creating a video_ts & see if it will give you the option
to create a .m2v.

If not you should be able to easily do this part with PGCDemux.

I’ve been using PGCDeMux , Muxman , & Audacity so far .
I haven’t got a process down yet but I think I will come up with something .
I have to hammer out a process & it can take me a bit to do that.

I’m hoping not to have to add PGCEdit to the process but may for extracting the menu in the DVD you already have.

Or maybe TitleWritter.

I was actually able to extract a .m2v and .ac3 file but only for a segment/chapter not for the whole movie. It comes back to my not being able to figure out how to save the whole movie… probably something simple.

If you have the whole DVD as folders, Video_TS and Audio_TS, then try PGCDemux to get the video and audio streams extracted from it. You need to select the Video_TS_01_0.ifo with PGCDemux. And make sure to put a check mark next to the video stream line.

If you only have the ISO, mount it in Slysoft’s Virtual CloneDrive, then use PGCDemux.

This will should give you an m2v for the entire DVD.

Next up, audio. Start with one audio file, whatever format you have originally, and bring it into Audacity (which already has the ffmpeg library for Audacity installed). Then use the import function to import each extra file.

Then choose Edit > Select > All, then Tracks > Align Tracks > Align End to End. Export as an ac3 file. When you export, adjust the ac3 so that it has 48khz frequency.

This should give you an m2v file and a new ac3 audio track which you can use to import into VRD and build your menus again. The problem with this approach is it will look like one big video file, and if you had sections before that had separate controls in the menu (separate titles) then you won’t be able to access them in the same way. You will have to put chapter points where you want them, and access them by chapter.