Adding Media Center to Windows 8 for free

If you use Windows Media Center, and wish to have it in Windows 8, you should take advantage of their limited time offer for the program. Microsoft has Media Center available for free download if you send them an email address and get the product key. This offer is good through January 31, 2013.

You can find the online form here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Here are their instructions on installing the add-on.

[B]                 Add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows               [/B]

[ol]
[li] Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. [/li] (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
[li] Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings . [/li][li] Tap or click Add features to Windows 8 and then do one of the following: [/li]

[ul]
[li] If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online. [/li] You will be prompted through the steps to buy a product key from there and it will be entered for you.
[li] If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key. [/li][/ul]
[li] Enter your product key and click Next. [/li][li] Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features. [/li][/ol]
If you were running Windows 8, your PC will restart automatically and Windows 8 Pro With Media Center will be on it.
If you were running Windows 8 Pro, your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

If I do get Windows 8 Pro (haven’t decided yet), I will for sure get Media Centre, as I use it for DVB-S/S2 broadcasts.

We haven’t tested Win8’s Media Center but Hauppauge and GB-DVR offered superior recording quality for our TV cards (Haup 1600, 1800, 2200s, and ATI 650s). We might test out Win8’s Media Center or maybe not.

Thank you kerry for the update on media center will get it tomorrow.:flower:

THX for the info,Kerry!
@ that bairgain price,I definately gonna get it…:bigsmile:

Anyone got their key?:confused:
So far,none here,and nothing in the spam folders either…:eek:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2661175]Anyone got their key?:confused:
So far,none here,and nothing in the spam folders either…:eek:[/QUOTE]No email here either I requested one three time I did upgrade to windows pro too.:confused:

They may be swamped today. I haven’t got the key either, and I used two different email addresses.

I also used two different email addresses and even tried multiple times - no key

I wonder if that key still can be used if you re-install Windows 8 again after January 31st, 2013

Microsoft is now saying that it can take up to 24hrs for them to send the key for Media Center.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2661218]Microsoft is now saying that it can take up to 24hrs for them to send the key for Media Center.[/QUOTE]Well they were well organized for downloads and purchasing windows 8 pro upgrades so I guess I can give them a passing mark b-:bigsmile:

Update Just got my media center key from Mircosoft they now get a A on their report card.:wink:

Got mine too…:stuck_out_tongue:
I must say,they were quite a bit faster last night when they could charge my PayPal account for 2 copies of Win 8…:bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2661232]Got mine too…:stuck_out_tongue:
I must say,they were quite a bit faster last night when they could charge my PayPal account for 2 copies of Win 8…:bigsmile::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]I bet
I hope at least here in the USA that everybody didn’t pay more than the 14.99 to upgrade I just went to the site last night and entered some basic info computer maker and model they sent me a promo code I thought that was mighty kind of MS.:bigsmile:

I also got 4 more promo codes that I had signed up for months ago just can’t remember what PCS that qualified and you do not have to download it from the computer that is supposed to be upgraded I didn’t and the upgrade went just fine.:slight_smile:

My media center key came through also.

Looks like the fine print says you need to activate it by Feb. 1, 2013. That may mean the key will not work for future re-installs, so you should back up to an image of the operating system disk or partition.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2661235]My media center key came through also.

Looks like the fine print says you need to activate it by Feb. 1, 2013. That may mean the key will not work for future re-installs, so you should back up to an image of the operating system disk or partition.[/QUOTE]I already created a backup image to a hard drive and in case of a hard drive failure I will also back it up to a Blu-ray 25gig disc after all I would not to loose my big investment of 14.99.:bigsmile:

I ordered the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. I’m actually impressed that they are using a good currency conversion for once unlike their other products, probably to avoid putting off tempted EU users. I received their US$40 upgrade offer due to trying the developer preview and when I changed the country drop-down to order, the price changed to €30 inc. VAT. :cool:

I’m not sure yet as to whether I’ll use Windows 8 as my main OS, but definitely want to get familiar with it. I learned the hard way by completely skipping Vista at home, as while I had no problem moving from XP to 7 at home, I dealt with enough Vista headaches trying to help friends, colleagues at work, etc. with computers running vista and being unfamiliar with the OS made troubleshooting quite tricky.

I got the Windows 8 Pro key within a minute of the order, but not so for the Media Center key. Then again, it’s no big deal as I think I only used Media Center once in Windows 7. Either way, many thanks Kerry for the offer, as this is the first I’ve heard of this promotion.

[QUOTE=xorsists;2661233]I bet
I hope at least here in the USA that everybody didn’t pay more than the 14.99 to upgrade I just went to the site last night and entered some basic info computer maker and model they sent me a promo code I thought that was mighty kind of MS.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Nice trick!!:bigsmile:
Now why didn’t I think of that…:doh:
Anyway,I think it’s a pretty clever move of M$ to get their new OS adopted by the “early birds” with this kind of promo’s.
I strongly believe that win 8 won’t be pirated as much as the past OS,just because of their new marketing strategy…
Selling 1.000.000 copies of win 8 @ 40$ a piece,is still more profitable than selling 100.000 copies @ 200$ and having 900.000 pirated versions around…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2661241]Nice trick!!:bigsmile:
Now why didn’t I think of that…:doh:
Anyway,I think it’s a pretty clever move of M$ to get their new OS adopted by the “early birds” with this kind of promo’s.
I strongly believe that win 8 won’t be pirated as much as the past OS,just because of their new marketing strategy…
Selling 1.000.000 copies of win 8 @ 40$ a piece,is still more profitable than selling 100.000 copies @ 200$ and having 900.000 pirated versions around…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]I agree at the prices for upgrade there is no need of running a pirate copy of windows 8 even at 69.95 most everybody that wants windows 8 can afford it and MS left that loophole to get more windows 8 upgrades out I am sure they will close it when they are ready in the mean time I have to get another couple upgrade keys.:bigsmile:

^ Nice loophole. :bigsmile: Basically I think Microsoft is doing everything it can to make moving to Windows 8 as tempting as possible. Regardless of the method someone uses, it’s still considered a sale to Microsoft and I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft is doing this to maximise the sales figures, possibly to the point where it breaks Windows 7 sales after release (Windows 7’s trick was maximising sales before release.)

Finally got my Media Center key, now activated and installed. :cool: