Adding HDD to HP Pavilion computer

Ok i know adding a hdd to a computer isn’t that difficult.
Normally i can do this blindfolded on my home built pc’s.

A friend of mine asked if i could add an extra hdd to some ones pc.
It is HP…bad…yes i know.

Anyone experienced with this??. It seems that some hp’s just refuse new hard ware.

I just want to be sure before we start to mess with the HP.

thanx

Damian

What drive is in it now?

don’t know

it has a smaal harddisk…and he wants extra to put his data on…

but i read some stuff on the net…that really scared me…:bigsmile:

Well it may only accept one drive, I don’t know. But if it has a standard drive in it now, you could replace that. the question will be whether the board accepts ATA66, 100, or what, and whether it has a size barrier. Personally, I wouldn’t waste $50 for a drive on a HP. If it has a PCI slot open, a controller card might be the way to go, either IDE, Firewire or USB2.

hmmm good idea

an extra controller

(it is better to buy a new computer,lol)

ty

Damian

I’ve done this before on some HP computers and never experienced problems. Ok, some of those systems have older BIOS’, and breaching the 32Gb barrier can sometimes be a problem… but there are tools to circumvent this, without too much of a hassle (depending on the hardware).

I recently put a 80Gb HDD in a HP Pentium 1 system. The only thing I had to do was installing this drive manager from IBM and it worked like a charm :).

you have names and links to those tools??

Originally posted by damiandimitri
you have names and links to those tools??

I’m getting a 404 on the IBM site, but Maxblast from Maxtor should be able to do the same, even when you aren’t using a Maxtor hdd.

To give it a try, please visit this site!

great thank you

will try it

I have 3 HP PCs:
Vectra XA 5/166
Vectra 400VL
Pavilion 500N

I’ve added hard drives to all of them over the years, and none of them has ever complained. They use Phoenix BIOSes, which are admittedly less configurable than AMI/Award, but they all accept new disk drives readily. Just make sure jumpers are set correctly and go into the BIOS on first boot to set it up right. Watch out - OEMs like cable select!:bigsmile:

I’ve used the same sort of tools Dee-ehn is talking about, though quite a while ago. Worked fine. It claimed to be a BIOS addon, but I’m pretty sure it just put some special boot files on the hard drive.

If there’s only room for 1 hard drive (and on many Pavilions this could actually be a problem), use a program like Norton Ghost to clone from old hard drive to the new one.

glad to hear it can be done…

thanx for the info …feeling more secure now

Damian

[QUOTE=Dee-ehn;427634]I’ve done this before on some HP computers and never experienced problems. Ok, some of those systems have older BIOS’, and breaching the 32Gb barrier can sometimes be a problem… but there are tools to circumvent this, without too much of a hassle (depending on the hardware).

I recently put a 80Gb HDD in a HP Pentium 1 system. The only thing I had to do was installing this drive manager from IBM and it worked like a charm :).[/QUOTE]
Hi

Hi,

New member here and like most who participated in this thread, I’ve replaced and added plenty HDDs before. However when trying to add an additional one for storage to my wife’s HP Pavillion, it’s not recognizing it AND it’s not giving me a chance to get to the BIOS setup screen.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? I’m not sure how Norton Ghost will solve the problem but I’ll go look into it so I can better understand “cloning” of drives. I’m also unsure about “drive managers” though I’ll look them up as well.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Xavierw