Adding files in ConvertXtoDVD?

vbimport

I thought I’d understood this, but I’ve hit problems and need to check I have it right… When adding video files, exactly what are the steps please? This operation seems to vary from program to program. Some want you to specify the VIDEO_TS folder. Some want the folder containing that. It seems ConvertXtoDVD wants all the individual files selecting, not a folder?

If so, why am I suddenly getting error lines in the log like these?
File “D:\My Pictures…blah blah\VIDEO_TS\VTS_24_0.BUP” is unsupported or not A/V file
File “D:\My Pictures…balh blah…\VIDEO TS\VTS 23 0.IFO” is unsupported or not A/V file"

The guide article I read at

just said “To add video in X2D, you need to select File -> Add Video file. After adding the file(s)…” which presumably means it’s embarrassingly obvious. And I have had half a dozen successful conversions in the past, so I don’t see what’s going wrong now!

Terry, West Sussex, UK

If you add any other videofiles than .vobs (avi, mpg, etc.), then you need to add all files individually (or multiselecting, or drag&drop files) to ConvertXtoDVD.
If you add files that are already in DVD (.vob) format, just add FIRST .vob of each title you want to convert. (VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_1.VOB) Not any other files.

In case I wasn’t clear, I should add that I realise my application is a bit unusual. Obviously there would be no problem if I was specifying MPG, AVI or WMV files. (I rather think those are the types I used some months ago, when I first installed ConvertXtoDVD.)

The only reason I want to use XtoD (is that the usual abbreviation? I can’t go on typing it in full!), instead of burning a video_ts image direct to DVD, is to add some individual menus to each section.

The authoring program I used to create my video was MemoriesOnTV. That just gives me one ‘album’ menu page, which comes up when I load the DVD, and I click its single icon to start the DVD. But the DVD is actually made up of 24 sections (MoTV calls them ‘titles’), so that I could more easily add a soundtrack to each one. And I would like the viewer to see a screen or series of screens allowing any of these 24 to be clicked, to go to that section. XtoD has the facility to let me add these.

So, to rephrase my original question, how do I best do the ‘file specification’ part in XtoD please?

Terry, West Sussex, UK

I now see what you want to do but I doubt ConvertXtoDVD isn’t able to do this. ConvertXtoDVD (like its name tells us) is only able to convert video files (mpeg, mp4,…) into DVD format and with this tool you are not able to edit any content.

So if you have only one single video file and not 24 single video files, then ConvertXtoDVD won’t do the job.

/Edit: Isn’t MemoriesOnTV a program to create picture slideshows?

I guess each title contains more than one picture and you want to have 24 albums where each contains more than 1 picture. I’m not familar with this program, but can’t you simply create 24 different albums on one DVD?

/Edit 2: after checking the usermanual I found that this shouldn’t be a problem. :wink:

If you need to create picture slideshows - PhotoDVD handles this.
If you already have pre-made “slideshows” in DVD (.vob) format, and having simple menu to access those “slideshows” is enough, then just load them to ConvertXtoDVD as I instructed. First .vob from each.

But if you want to create some special menu or animated menu - at the moment you need external program to do this. Most free menutools are simply accepting existing video_ts folder and let you create new menu for its contents.

Yes, but you [I]can[/I] add a menu with 24 individual icons so that you can play each section (called a ‘chapter’ in XtoD, ‘title’ in MoTV).

So if you have only one single video file and not 24 single video files, then ConvertXtoDVD won’t do the job.

My VIDEO_TS folder, created by MoTV2, has 24 sets of IFO/BUP/VOB files, plus a ‘top’ IFO/BUP pair, i.e. 74 files in total.

/Edit: Isn’t MemoriesOnTV a program to create picture slideshows?

Yes.

I guess each title contains more than one picture and you want to have 24 albums where each contains more than 1 picture.

Yes

I’m not familar with this program, but can’t you simply create 24 different albums on one DVD?

/Edit 2: after checking the usermanual I found that this shouldn’t be a problem. :wink:

Yes, but why would I want to do that? I have a single album, telling a single story, and within that there happen to be 24 titles, from 1 to 5 mins long, each with JPGs and a few MPGs, and each with an MP3 soundrack. Each plays in sequence, with a gap of about 1 second. All that is fine.

Terry, West Sussex, UK

The program I have, MemoriesOnTV (2) does it reasonably well. Unless there are big advantages I wouldn’t want to waste my investment (some cash, but I’m mainly talking about learning) and start again. For example, does it do Ken Burn Pan /Zoom, like MoTV? Does it allow flexible menus, unlike MoTV?

If you already have pre-made “slideshows” in DVD (.vob) format, and having simple menu to access those “slideshows” is enough, then just load them to ConvertXtoDVD as I instructed. First .vob from each.

Thanks. That last point was the key to success! May have been obvious to experienced users, but not to me :wink:

But if you want to create some special menu or animated menu - at the moment you need external program to do this. Most free menutools are simply accepting existing video_ts folder and let you create new menu for its contents.

Such as ConvertXtoDVD?

Much appreciate your help.

Terry, West Sussex, UK

ConvertXtoDVD is NOT currently allowing fancy menus, just basic menus with your own background and selectable fonts.

PhotoDVD is almost similar as ConvertXtoDVD in terms of usability. If you can use one, you can use both. So learning should not be a big deal.

PhotoDVD has nice Pan-zoom etc. effects, and it is as efficient in disk usage as ConvertXtoDVD. More info about effects etc. is on VSO website, check it out.

Thanks, will do.

Terry, West Sussex, UK