Adding deleted scenes to movies

vbimport

Hello, does anyone know how to add deleted scenes to movies? Some DVDs come with special features that include deleted scenes and I would like to add those into the main feature so that you end up with a “director’s cut.” Where can I find the extra scenes on the DVD? I’m trying to do the Donnie Darko DVD which has lots of great deleted scenes (like 15 or 20).

I’m using the Chickenman guide for making backup copies of DVD to VCD: Smartrip, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc, Nero.

Thanks.

If you were authoring a DVD you would probably be able to do this with Scenarist or Maestro. You might end up having to do it that way, then process the resulting DVD with whatever you use to author VCDs. Hopefully each scene is split by VOBID or PGC. :slight_smile:

/MLS

Simple. In between DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc, just use AVISynth.

Something like:

Movie = mpeg2source(“movie.d2v”,CPU=4)
Extra1 = mpeg2source(“extra1.d2v”,CPU=4)
scene1 = trim(Movie,0,46564)
scene2 = trim(Movie,46565,0)
return scene1+extra1+scene2

The above would take an extra scene insert it at frame 46565 and then contine with the original.

edit: Stupid me, the above would be video only, so you would either need to cut the audio seperatly or use AC3Source, decode to wav and use wavsource or try directshowsource with AC3Filter set to a stereo downmix.

Well this is quite intereting… Can you do the same sort of thing with a dvd -> divx conversion? I use virtualdub for that btw.

One problem is, the cut scenes in some movies aren’t very good quality, and they are in a different aspect ratio or something (example: Back to the Future series).

You can use the same method with any program that can accept an AVISynth script (AVS) as input which VirtualDub certainly can. For DivX conversion I would suggest adding crop, resize, etc. and using VirtualDubMod over regular VDub to take advantage of YV12 in quick recompress.

Inserting bad quality scenes is probably not a good idea, especially if they are 4:3 and the movie is 16:9. It would just ruin the flow of the movie. Besides you would either have to crop the 4:3 or encode the 16:9 with black bars. I guess in the future it may be possible to have both 16:9 and 4:3 DivX content in MKV and have it playback correctly. Probably also have a menu with the original and your cut.

Originally posted by Roger1234
[B]Hello, does anyone know how to add deleted scenes to movies? Some DVDs come with special features that include deleted scenes and I would like to add those into the main feature so that you end up with a “director’s cut.” Where can I find the extra scenes on the DVD? I’m trying to do the Donnie Darko DVD which has lots of great deleted scenes (like 15 or 20).

I’m using the Chickenman guide for making backup copies of DVD to VCD: Smartrip, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc, Nero.

Thanks. [/B]

I would follow the tute but use the slider in DVD2AVI to mak out the bit of movie up to where you need to insert the extra, and encode as normal. Thyen encode the bit after the insertion point as a separate file also. Then encode the bit you want to put in by itself also. Then when you burn the VCD with Nero or VCDEasy, just load each mpg file in the correct order.