Adding data to DVDRs?

vbimport

Hi!

I’ve been using CDRs for years, but now I’m starting to consider upgrading to a DVDRW drive. However, I’m trying to figure out if burning regular data DVDs is any different then CDs.

I know that if you need to add data to a CDR, you need to make a multi-session CD. I noticed that when you have too many sessions on a CD, they take a while to initialize in a drive and some drives even have problem reading them, so I’m not a huge fan of multi-session CDs.

So what about DVDs? Do they use the same technology, as far as writing “sessions” goes? Or do they use something better? I’m a bit concerned - considering the size of a DVDR disc, I’ll probably keep adding and adding stuff to the same disc.

I’ve looked at the datasheet for the Plextor 708A drive and noticed the following:

Recording DVD+R/RW Modes: Sequential write, Random access write, Multi-session and DVD+MRW (Physical formatting in background)
Recording DVD-R/RW Modes: Disc-at-once, Incremental recording, Multi-border recording, Restricted overwriting

I noticed the multisession spec, but what about Sequential write and Random access write? Or are those for DVDRW?

Thanx in advance for any help!

-GK

I guess this all depends on the software that you are using, but I know that this can be done quite easily with Nero burning rom.

How? Just add files to the root (or possible subfolders) of a Video DVD compilation. As long as the video files are present in the VIDEO_TS folder, you can add whatever you want to the root of a video DVD.

When playing this DVD on a DVD Video player, the data on your disc won’t be recognized by it and thus not interfere.

There’s nothing uncommon about this btw, many companies (Disney for example) add software players to their video DVDs to make them easy playable on a Windows computer…

Originally posted by GKnight
I know that if you need to add data to a CDR, you need to make a multi-session CD. I noticed that when you have too many sessions on a CD, they take a while to initialize in a drive and some drives even have problem reading them, so I’m not a huge fan of multi-session CDs.

u don’t need to use multisession when writing cdrs, and as u’ve seen by the performance drop, it’s much better not to. unless u really need to get the stuff off ur hard drive, it’s much better to wait and fill the entire disc at once.

as far as dvds go, multisession dvd burning is not officially supported by any specifications, and is something i’ve only seen nero support. multisession dvdrs are not guaranteed to be fully readable by any drive, and u’ll run into the same problems u have with multisession cdrs. as with cdrs, unless u’re very limited with hard drive space or have the need to put ur files onto a disc, it’s much better to fill the entire dvd at once. if u DO need to get them off ur hard drive but don’t want to deal with multisession issues, use rewritables instead until u can fill a regular recordable.

Originally posted by AZImmortal as far as dvds go, multisession dvd burning is not officially supported by any specifications, and is something i’ve only seen nero support. multisession dvdrs are not guaranteed to be fully readable by any drive, and u’ll run into the same problems u have with multisession cdrs. as with cdrs, unless u’re very limited with hard drive space or have the need to put ur files onto a disc, it’s much better to fill the entire dvd at once. if u DO need to get them off ur hard drive but don’t want to deal with multisession issues, use rewritables instead until u can fill a regular recordable.

So I guess DVDRs use pretty much the same technology as CDRs as far as writing in sessions. This kinda sucks, I was hoping just to keep adding stuff to the same DVD. I don’t necessarily need to be erasing any old stuff, but it looks like I’d really need to use a DVDRW. It’s more expensive and I understand 'RWs are not as reliable as 'Rs…

-GK

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]How? Just add files to the root (or possible subfolders) of a Video DVD compilation. As long as the video files are present in the VIDEO_TS folder, you can add whatever you want to the root of a video DVD.

When playing this DVD on a DVD Video player, the data on your disc won’t be recognized by it and thus not interfere.
[/B]

Thanx for the tip, it’s good to know. This would in effect create a multi-session DVD, I presume?

Off-topic: nice avatar, I see you like Nightwish and Opeth! \m/

-GK

[B]Thanx for the tip, it’s good to know. This would in effect create a multi-session DVD, I presume?

Off-topic: nice avatar, I see you like Nightwish and Opeth! \m/

-GK [/B]

No that’s not a multisession DVD, it’s just one session. Because the files out of the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders are not specified in the DVD (Video or Audio) specifications, standalone players don’t seek those locations for files. Computers however can see those files there, as they treat a video DVD as a data disc…

I’m glad that you like my avatar and my music :slight_smile:

As with cd burning you can also use packet writing to keep adding data to a dvd disc.

[B]Hi!

So what about DVDs? Do they use the same technology, as far as writing “sessions” goes? Or do they use something better? I’m a bit concerned - considering the size of a DVDR disc, I’ll probably keep adding and adding stuff to the same disc.

-GK [/B]